About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=89c6523265d7dd79de1cd33ac7f6ed4cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

UK Chewie build – mesh fabric question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobo Wan Kenobi (Bill Calahan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the all purpose mesh work as just as well as the aquatic mesh? Or is there a specific reason why people are using the aquatic mesh?
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should do a test with the all purpose mesh. See how hard it is to tear.
The aquatic mesh is really tough. I could not tear it in my tests.
The main thing to look for in a mesh is durability and hole size.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Collins Cottage "This mesh is a 'non-stretch' medium weight material with a slight shine. The material is super rugged and can handle extensive weight and wear." I pulled on the stuff pretty when I got it last night. I think I'll cut off a piece and try to really rip it when I get home from work today.

I know that the holes are 1/8" X 3/16" on the All Purpose Mesh and the holes on the Aquatic Mesh are 1/4" X 1/4". Do you think the hole in the All Purpose Mesh are gonna be big enough?

Thanks in advances for all of the help by the way
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo Wan Kenobi wrote:
To quote Collins Cottage "This mesh is a 'non-stretch' medium weight material with a slight shine. The material is super rugged and can handle extensive weight and wear." I pulled on the stuff pretty when I got it last night. I think I'll cut off a piece and try to really rip it when I get home from work today.

I know that the holes are 1/8" X 3/16" on the All Purpose Mesh and the holes on the Aquatic Mesh are 1/4" X 1/4". Do you think the hole in the All Purpose Mesh are gonna be big enough?

Thanks in advances for all of the help by the way

As long as you can get your Latchhooking tool into the mesh I don't see any problems with 1/8'' x 3/16''

I have the 1/4'' x 1/4'' Collins cottage mesh and wish I had a smaller mesh when I was Latchhooking. The bigger holes made me feel like that I needed to add more hair to cover up the mesh. So I ended using WAY to much hair on my suit. Which leads to alot of grooming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to hear. Because I've got 10 yards of this stuff laying in my man cave hahaha. I tried to rip and tear it by standing on one end and pulling on the other and that stuff is tuff. I'm surprised I didn't yank my feet out from underneath me hahahaha.

Thanks again Man I really appreciate it.
neiloneil ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same mesh from collins but i ended up getting the whit instead of black like most...(since was out of stock and im in a hurry lol) i so far have seen no ill effects to this and dont see the reason to dye it. Ideas..on a side note i should be able to finish all my latch hooking this wkend.i hope Rolling Eyes cause i am soooo tired of doing hair Shocked
JoyMonkey ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but this seems to be the de facto source for mesh info. It looks like Collins Cottage Industries is no more, or at least their website has been down for some time (the last hit from The Wayback machine is Feb 2012).

Has anyone tracked down the same mesh material from any other online suppliers?

Edit: Actually, after Googling around I *think* this stuff from Sailrite might be the right stuff. Can anyone confirm?
Sarah1968 ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate, great to see you here.

You need to check out Chefhawks Chewbacca Build thread - one of the best Wookiees you'll ever see and he's part of the UKG.

All the info you need will be in there Smile

Great to see you here Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: