About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=827de708738ef28dfe746994efb9d2f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gonk In-Progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Gonk In-Progress Reply with quote

As promised, here are some progress shots of Gonk 2.O

[/img]

This is the bottom half of the costume. I'm likely to scrape this and start over. I like the 1/4" ABS that I'm using on the feet better and will likely try to use that around the middle section. As well as finding a better way to keep the suspenders from pulling on the inside.
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are shots of the top half of the costume. The foam padding is a must. Underneath the foam padding is a metal plate. My ultimate goal is to use magnets to attach things to the top of the Gonk (make an ESB Gonk or take them off for the plain version). Also I have an MP3 player with the Gonk sounds, although I need to get better speakers. No fans have been added yet.
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are corner shots which show the holes where the bolts are used to attach the two halves.
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the body put together. There is still a lot of work left, including all of the little greeblies and such.
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two photos are the new feet. I like the 1/4" ABS. It will add a lot of stability to the feet, especially for walking. The last two are comparisons of the new feet with an old one. They are a little bit bigger (because of the wood frame and ABS). Also, not shown is the inside of the old feet. I used foam on the side to keep my foot stable inside, there is no bottom to it, and I have a elastic strap which my ankle loops through to attach the feet to me.
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Smile

I'm curious about the final product.

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how has this turned out??
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet are done.

I redid the bottom half of the body and I need to attach the suspenders and fiberglass the bottom opening for stability. Otherwise it is mainly just greeblies left after that.

I hope to be finished in a week if I get off my butt and work on it.

Here is some updated progress pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11802&id=100000729044015&l=9e19c6e124
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new feet look really good. Nice work. Smile I was toying with the idea of making a static Gonk droid just so I have a cool place to stash some of my stuff in the Droid room at CV! (Inside the droid)

Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
The new feet look really good. Nice work. Smile I was toying with the idea of making a static Gonk droid just so I have a cool place to stash some of my stuff in the Droid room at CV! (Inside the droid)

This same idea worked out really well for my family at Phoenix Comic Con. Our PLUNK was always watched by a trusted member if we were away and it was kept behind our table as well. As we found things to pick up it went into the PLUNK, completely out of the way, and also out of sight!. I was even able to hide the dolly we used to move it around inside the the droid. Very very useful indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: