About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=576a56582edd6d9a697503e022249cffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

R2's take'm when needed leave them when not
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.J

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: R2's take'm when needed leave them when not Reply with quote

It seems the R2's are more than welcome when we need them but are not welcome to join us. Yes we are costumers
.....but look at the big picture we are a charity, and if there was a pole on the kids favourite character R2 D2 would be among the top 3.
You may say the Jawa has R2 as a prop as a Jedi has a lightsaber?
jedi_ric (rick chinn)
Hoth Base CO
Hoth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully aggree with Master Jedi...

I think we need to give a membership to the R2 units (& handlers) as being part of the Rebel Legion, no different that we have honorary member who write a book, voice a character or draw cover art.

I have suggested we give them a title like "Friends of the legion".

they are a fantastic assett to the legion in doing charity work or just making the character come to life for the kids and for this reason alone I would love the legion to embrace any "movie quality" R2 that want to be part of us (even as just a "Friend of the Legion").
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed --IMHO, an R2 (or any of the R2 style droids) unit should be approved by the RL, whether or not the operator is in costume.

R2 is the quintessential good guy.

Holdfast ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for it too. R2 is the only one who can consistantly out shine the troopers and other costumers at any of the trooping events I attend.
Silverback (Richard Berry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with making droid wranglers members of the legion - I want to remind people that we are not a charity group. We are a costuming group that does charity on the side. Please don't take me the wrong way - I love doing charity and in fact the charity aspect was a very large reason I joined but it is not the base of our group.

Before I derail this topic - YES! please consider making the droid wranglers full members of the Rebel Legion.

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi_ric wrote:
I have suggested we give them a title like "Friends of the legion".

Or "Droids of the Legion" Cool
WookieeGunner ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverback wrote:
While I agree with making droid wranglers members of the legion - I want to remind people that we are not a charity group. We are a costuming group that does charity on the side. Please don't take me the wrong way - I love doing charity and in fact the charity aspect was a very large reason I joined but it is not the base of our group.

Before I derail this topic - YES! please consider making the droid wranglers full members of the Rebel Legion.

Actually, as pointed out recently "Thirdly and most importantly, we follow the lead of Lucasfilm Ltd. by giving back to the community through works of charity and volunteerism. " (from the charter). So we actually are a charity group first (i.e. our charity work is more important than our costuming).

And I agree that R2 units and their handlers be allowed into the Legion in the same way a 3PO unit is allowed in.
Yan Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my reading the same quote, I understand that its just after costuming. If it would be more important, it wouldn't be third in our mission statement, but first.

I personally believe in using costuming for charity, but if charity would be the first concern, we wouldn't need costumes to be members. And don't get me started on the borrowing costumes for charity purposes.

This is a costuming group. A costuming group that does charity. not the other way around.

And I believe droids should be accepted, not as costumes, but as approved props/accessories. I like the rebel droid idea; an R2 builder/handler could be accepted in the legion as droid handler, different membership status, but accepted none the less.
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there is no reason the R2's and their handlers cannot be 'friends of the Legion' or 'droids of the Legion'. R2 is the one everyone wants to see, and if he has a good handler who is skilled in operating him then he is as much a full-blown character as the rest of us!

I'd love to see all the handlers get into Rebel Tech costumes, but I understand there are those who just want to 'blend in' while operating R2 and not stick out and I respect that.

TI-9827 (Tapio Komulainen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nordicgarrison.net/memb_fr.html
atmtrooper ()

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Solo wrote:
I agree there is no reason the R2's and their handlers cannot be 'friends of the Legion' or 'droids of the Legion'. R2 is the one everyone wants to see, and if he has a good handler who is skilled in operating him then he is as much a full-blown character as the rest of us!

I'd love to see all the handlers get into Rebel Tech costumes, but I understand there are those who just want to 'blend in' while operating R2 and not stick out and I respect that.

May be we should look at it as not the member being cleared but the droid and the Handler becomes as above "friend of the Legion"a cleared droid handler.\

Here in the Uk we have 3 R2 units the members we give access to our forums and they sign up as guest...These non members have brought joy and happiness to many even during the Star wars a musical journey tour and I'd love to reward them by allowing them Full membership....
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I don't get to this forum nearly enough..

and..

my opinion has always been that R2 Builders be full members regardless of costume....IF THEY WANT TO BE....
some Builders do not...and you have to respect that...

As far as bringing your droids out...
I do a LOT of events...and sometimes R2 comes with me...
sometimes he does not...

I take a lot of things into consideration before I decide..

And...
make no mistake...
R2 is huge at any event...

mine is not even RC (he does light up and talk - I have to load him by myself..so I can't handle an RC as they weigh too much for me to handle alone) but he usually attracts a lot of attention...

taking R2 along can sometimes be very important to a "mission"...

I refer you to this mission report if you have any doubt...

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24376

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd grant animatronic R2's RL membership. Anyone who's trooped with an animatronic R2 knows how well crowds respond to them !!

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all these discussions about allowing droid builders in I've yet to see an actual droid builder involved in the discussion, just lots of "friends."

I can't speak for any staff members but I can't imagine anyone in command giving a poodoo about this if droid builders aren't not even interested enough to comment on the issue.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
In all these discussions about allowing droid builders in I've yet to see an actual droid builder involved in the discussion, just lots of "friends."

I can't speak for any staff members but I can't imagine anyone in command giving a poodoo about this if droid builders aren't not even interested enough to comment on the issue.

I am a Builder....

I just happen to have a few costumes too...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: