About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0eb48196b6db61a6fa4cf88c918cf5eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Green CorSec Flightsuits, Acceptable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
Well I'm still new to the RL side, but with the 501st we have costumes that are film canon and costumes that are EU canon and we all troop together unless its an event thats specifically labeled film(and TV now) canon only and thats usually only for LFL and Licensee events.

I troop with Shadowtroopers (black stormtroopers) all the time, so I don't really see this as too different from that myself.

Anyways, that green Coran figure is a custom, the only Corran figure ever produced is the new one in the wrong flightsuit.

Also don't bother with the comics, he doesn't become a Rogue until the novels. Although he does show up in his Xwing in that one arc where he's still a detective... I'll have to check that, but if memory serves me he doesn't wear his flightsuit in the cockpit.

As far as reference material... I though I had another picture but it turns out he's not in it. I've gotta look more... I know there are black and white drawings of him in his flightsuit from source books and what not.

The main problem you will run into if you want to do Corran is that there are only two references I know of of his helmet and that's the figure and the Atlas picture.

I have that omnibus.... if I remember right, he wasn't even featured in a panel when he was in his CorSec X-Wing, it was just his X-Wing flying cover, allowing the Rebels to escape the Corellian system.

I would think that the helmet would be a non-issue, as helmets aren't required for other pilots - but I could be wrong since Corran would be a face character. Right?

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:

Though if we were to ever work on making Corran Horn or "CorSec" pilots a Formal costume, all the descriptions in text so far mention different colored Flank and stripe parts on the suit rather than just an evergreen flightsuit so more work would be needed than just slapping on a green flightsuit methinks... let alone 3 solid references of the costume , especially on someone other than Corran.

Well if you're basing that off of this:

Quote:
Corran's flightsuit had been green, black, and grey, since he'd brought it with him from the Corellian Security Force. In homage to him, that color scheme was used to create new uniforms for the squadron: evergreen overall, with dark grey flank panels, black sleeves, leg stripes, and trim."

The italicized part is a description of the forgotten Rogue flightsuit post Corran's "death". I've always pictured it as the Atlas does (not that that amounts to much), but since there doesn't seem to be enough visual representations of Corran in his flightsuit that aren't either wrong or uncolored its pretty moot. It comes down to Corran being one of those dreaded EU characters that's so prevalent for so long in print that you forget that there's really not a lot of visual representations of him, especially in Rogue gear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... talk about salivating over something desired, only to come up short!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it really sucks there isnt more. Sad

But with any luck, in a couple of months we'll have Chad rocking the Informal Corran Horn in Corellian Base after we move. *shrug*

Dont feel like you cant do it just because its informal!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have ever let anyone tell me what I could and couldn't do for costumes....

It is the bureacrasy that is a bit much, that's all. I'll still do the CorSec pilot when I am able to.

I don't care about formal/informal, canon/non-canon events. I never have. I live in Oregon. There is nothing formal/canon here, ever!

Ok, except when we had the Star Wars Exhibit, or the upcoming Star Wars musical.

But other than that, I won't be going to formal events in my lifetime. Just conventions and the local events. So all the hooplah over what is acceptable for canon and formal is mere jibberish to me.

Another reason I take my time in regard to finishing off a Rebel costume - that and this economy sucks!

- Bill
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:

But other than that, I won't be going to formal events in my lifetime. Just conventions and the local events. So all the hooplah over what is acceptable for canon and formal is mere jibberish to me.

Another reason I take my time in regard to finishing off a Rebel costume - that and this economy sucks!

- Bill

Out of curiousity , why have over 1000 posts on the RL boards then? LOL

though I'm with you on the economy sucks part Sad you got that right. Crying or Very sad Though I'd hope to see you put something together someday, even if it isnt a pilot. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked this was still a free forum for those parties interested in: Star Wars and Rebel Costuming...

That is the reason for 1000+ posts.

To be fair, I have met a lot of cool people in the costuming community. Even though I have never met any of them, in person, I do consider them friends. This is a social sector for me, as well. I see things that I am interested in and I comment, for good or bad. Sometimes my thoughts are well-received and other times, not so much.... that is usually when the elitists of the bunch come out, say something stupid that irritates the crap out of me, which then makes me re-evaluate why I even bother.

So why do I keep pressing on? For the older brother who died of Leukemia and the fact that Star Wars is that tangible connection that keeps his memory alive.

Because Luke Skywalker was our hero.

Because when I put on that Star Wars costume (I am 501st and soon to be Mandalorian Merc), I do it for him. It's as if he is sitting on my shoulder, as I go out to do my bit to bring smiles to kid's faces.

Because I am about encouraging others that are working on costumes (which is more than I have received on several occasions from members here). Because if I can offer something and bright and positive to the Legion, I would gladly do so willingly.

How is that for justification for the 1000+ posts?

- Bill
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to get snippy. I was just curious since you mentioned dislike for the costume regulations... and I did say I'd hope to see you make something. I was quite sincere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I dislike frivolous bureacrasy and petty geek politics. There is a difference. Not trying to get snippy. Just pointing out the facts....

Not your fault, you couldn't know that grade A-1 types challenge me on this in my own garrison. I would have thought, by now, people know why I costume and what my intentions are.

Even though you weren't trying to be irritate me with a dig, it did kind of come off that way. I tend to get annoyed when some else feels the need to question my fandom, or the motives for such fandom.

Now, you have a better idea of how I tick.

- Bill
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
No, I dislike frivolous bureacrasy and petty geek politics. There is a difference. Not trying to get snippy. Just pointing out the facts....

Not your fault, you couldn't know that grade A-1 types challenge me on this in my own garrison. I would have thought, by now, people know why I costume and what my intentions are.

Even though you weren't trying to be irritate me with a dig, it did kind of come off that way. I tend to get annoyed when some else feels the need to question my fandom, or the motives for such fandom.

Now, you have a better idea of how I tick.

- Bill

No problem. I know all well what various people are like in the 501st, I'm a member there too. Not trying to dig, just trying to encourage orange.

I can understand the irritation...
Ylan Firesign ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys, you're saying things that echo very strongly with me. Take a look at my signature. I'm here because I'm a Star Wars fan, and a costume fan, and this is where the Star Wars costume fan action is going on. But I think that the Rebel Legion, and the 501st, and the Jedi Assembly are all organized exactly backwards.

If I were in charge, membership would be open to anyone who's interested, and then they'd be encouraged to improve their costumes and skills to "formal" status -- if they wanted to. I'd probably set it up like the Boy Scouts' "merit badge" system, so that every improvement or finished costume piece would be recognized and rewarded. Even non-costumed folks providing support at events could be recognized this way. I've heard too many stories of beginners who were driven away forever from fannish costuming by the current practices of these organizations, and I've had too many first-hand conversations with members who think this is all right.

Sorry to hijack the thread, folks, but I wanted to say this in public, and not just PM Aramys with whispered agreement.

Meanwhile, here's my green flightsuit that I made in 1981, before anybody had heard of A-Wings or Corran Horn. I just wanted an original costume of my own from the Star Wars universe, and I applaud anyone with a similar impulse.

Costume standards should apply to costumes, not to people.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Thomas..... I appreciate the sentiment.

Back to the question at hand, eh?

How about them CorSec Pilots, huh?

- Bill
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about them? Do you want to do the costume is a better question...
Bill, if you want to do the costume, then do the costume you want to do.

This is the same suit I use for my Imperal Crewman, which is a duplicate of my original orange suit:

Character Name: JAFO
Costume Type: Rebel Pilots
Informal/Non-canon

My first costume was a Jedi, and after that I started to gather all of the info needed to do my pilot. It took me almost a year to finish it. You guys have it easy now, when I first did my costume there were only a few of us, and we had to wing it. there were no set suppliers in place, and we had to do our own research and convert our own suits. Now you can buy them pre-made.

Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge available to you, and do the costume because you want to, not because you feel you have to. Ultimately you'll be the one wearing it.

My suggestion, do two identical suits, one in orange and one in green. The rest of the stuff is interchangeable.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, at this point this thread is heading towards a locking and a new one needing to be made. I dont wanna see that... though it may have run its course since the original thread question of if we accept them or not has been answered.

We can keep it open and change the topic or close it down and start a new one under CorSec Pilot Reference and Discussion

also, Gil, talking with Bill, he isnt looking to make the costume right now, so us telling him to do it is redundant and misplaced. I was on your page thinking he was going to do it if it was accepted but we were apparently reading into that wrong.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
Let me see if I am understanding you right, because it is EU, and was never seen on screen, it is NOT acceptable as Formal. Am I to assume that anything EU is to be considered Informal?

If that is the case, then that is hypocrasy at its highest, with Formal costumes like Guri, Twi'lek Smuggler, Mirax Terrik, Dash Rendar, Iella Wessiri, Mara Jade and Talon Karrde being approved within the Rebel Legion. None of these characters were seen on the big screen and everyone of these have Formal classifications, as far as I can see.

So, then, this is detachment prerogative, here?

If you want to stick to the argument that there isn't enough reference resources for a Formal classification, then I can buy that and wouldn't argue the point. But to say that because it is EU and was not on the big screen, so therefore does not qualify Formal status, that is a bit unfair, especially when other detachments have opened the door to EU characters and have made them Formal.

It isn't like special treatment is being asked for, here. But equal treatment shouldn't be too much to ask for.

- Bill

EDIT by Gil: Point taken, I thought we had established the lack of references and I overlooked listing it as a reason. Sorry for the oversight
Here is the updated response:

After discussing it among the Starfighter Command staff it was decided that since the suit is from the EU and was never seen on the screen in any of the films, coupled with the lack of 3 solid references for the suit, it is not acceptable as Formal based on the costume standards for an X-wing pilot.

The Green Corsec Flightsuit is however, an acceptable costume under the informal classification.
I located this in our member database under "Informal" as an example:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=505
"It is the costume inspired by Mike Stackpole's Novels, an X Wing flight suit. Not an orange one, but a green one, like any Corellian would wear."

Character Name: Corran Horn
Costume Type: Rebel Pilots
Informal/Non-canon

The main reason is the lack of references and not just because it's from the EU. You are still able to do this costume if you choose, but it will fall under the informal classification.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: