About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5503650ee9216b4660cfd47a87731c0eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Borsk Fey'lya
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I am very seriously tackling looking into researching doing Borsk... have I mentioned how much I hate this guy? Evil or Very Mad

This is the version I am thinking of:

I was at Joann's Fabricland last night, looking at various different materials, and colors to pull this off. The pants and boots are easy... those could be a pair of khaki colored dickies pants, or some close variant. The boots I already have (got to love having costuming parts that serve multiple outfits).

So, I was looking at duck cloth for the material of the coat - what can I say, I love the stuff! But all of the colors were either too dark, or too light for this shade of grey-blue. But I did find some onasburg in periwinkle that looked like it would be the proper shade, however that stuff if really light weight.

So that begs the question... is it possible to get that periwinkle color in duck cloth anywhere? Or rather, what would you guys recommend for material to use for this coat?

I'm getting the impression that this is a heavy weight kind of coat. However, I would like it to be lightweight enough to wear all year round.

Am I crazy, here? What do you all think?

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:

On a completely different note, I think I found the perfect applications for the Cathar, as well. Talk about one-stop shopping!

http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_84&products_id=319

- Bill

Why do you think I saved the link Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

I'll take "to help a fellow trooper out" for the win, Alex. Mr. Green

-Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, you already have 2 out of 3 sources for the outfit being formally approved!

I'd say don't go with duck cloth, personally I think it can look a bit plain, or cheap compared to other alternatives. Using it to line it though to make it a stiffer coat weight would make it look nice and militarily crisp. You could also use fusible interfacing on the inside of your outer fabric to make it look crisp but keep it light weight, and you can either self-line or use coat lining. I would go with a nice twill for a military jacket, or look in the fabric store in the fall suitings. If you can't find the color you are looking for, you can get some cotton twill and some RIT dye and just dye it the color you want.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to another buddy of mine, and he pretty much suggested the same thing. Thanks for the confirmation, though. Wink

- Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread, since I haven't given up on the possibility of doing this costume - who knows, maybe I will have it done for CV??? Wouldn't that be grand?

I am writing northfur to see if I can commission them to do a more accurate goat-face mold for the mask. If it proves to be too costly, I will just go with the kangaroo face and the evil brows, along with those twilight elf ears from that aradanicostumes site.

Total cost for the mask materials (in cold foam material) for the evil brow (because I think it looks the best, especially for Borsk Fey'lya) and the kangaroo face, unpainted, is about $122 - materials + shipping.

The cost for the twilight elf ears, unpainted, is $57 - materials + shipping.

The base cost for the mask materials, without paint and hair is about $180.

I think I can get this costume done for about $500 or less.... probably less!

We'll see what northfur has to say about doing a special commission for a goat face, as opposed to the kangaroo face.

- Bill

Last edited by Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel) on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northfur just added a new line from Lyonshel, and maybe the Camel mask may work.

I did try and ask about a commission last summer from Northfur, and they never responded, though they did send my "off the shelf' stuff quickly.
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I think I found the third source for your Borsk. The first two you'd posted are an Action figure and the Trading Card Game. I just stumbled over his entry in the "New Essential Guide to Characters". Look at his belt, legs and boots. They match exactly. And now you even have a good look at his side and back. Cool

Aramys Strael wrote:
It it proves to be too costly, I will just go with the kangaroo face and the evil brows, along with those twilight elf ears from that aradanicostumes site.
Its bad that one need "evil brows" to do a Bothan councillor. Crying or Very sad

Maybe you can do a little walkthrough in how to make a Bothan mask. I think, here are some folks around who are very interested in knowing.

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daritha wrote:
Bill, I think I found the third source for your Borsk. The first two you'd posted are an Action figure and the Trading Card Game. I just stumbled over his entry in the "New Essential Guide to Characters". Look at his belt, legs and boots. They match exactly. And now you even have a good look at his side and back. Cool

Aramys Strael wrote:
If it proves to be too costly, I will just go with the kangaroo face and the evil brows, along with those twilight elf ears from that aradanicostumes site.
Its bad that one need "evil brows" to do a Bothan councillor. Crying or Very sad

Maybe you can do a little walkthrough in how to make a Bothan mask. I think, here are some folks around who are very interested in knowing.

I've seen that image before. You're right, it lines up really well with what I am after. As for the evil brow, to me, that rings consistent with the character that is Borsk Fey'lya. Remember, he is not a nice person. In Mandalorian terms, he is a serious di'kut. I think it very fitting for him.

What I like about this image is that it gives the appearance that my standard officer boots will work for this costume. The action figure shows some sort of unique ribbed design that goes down the front of the boots.

Katsu: I have yet to hear anything from them. Which is rather unfortunate. You'd think that they would jump at the chance to do a commission that could lead to adding another product to their line. Their loss, I suppose. I do have a couple of buddies that, I think, could give me a helping hand in building this mask.

So I checked out that new product line, and the camel face. Holy crap, that looks more spot on than the kangaroo does! The only drawback that I am seeing is that it is made in the hot foam latex. As I am given to believe cold foam is the way to go for a permanent mask, such as this.

Hey, look Daritha, this has its own brow line. No evil brows! Thumbs up

Stang, and I really looking looking forward to showing Borsk for the frelling di'kut that he is! Mr. Green

But I did notice the hoods that they have. I was wondering how I would apply everything to a solid mask. Now I think I might have a clue. Looks like I could probably get away with a slush cast hood and then use rubber cement to glue the camel face on and then just add the hair. I'll probably have to modify the slush cast hood to allow my ears to go through, since those elf ears would just attach to my ears, naturally. If I add the hair just right, nobody would know the difference.

For the hands, I think the 300 Immortal hands are perfect!

Manga elf ears (was the 10 inch ears, but after other feedback, these ears seem to be more accurate)

Damn, now it is just a matter of money!

$94 for the slush cast hood (another $31 if I wanted to add an embedded spandex hood to the mix)
$71 for the hot foam camel mask
$21 for shipping from Northfur
$22 for the hands
$36 for the elf ears

Basic total: $244

And that is without the angry frown, so some people will be happy about that! Mr. Green

$?? how much for all the hair that I will be needing? Stay tuned...

oh, sorry for the large pictures. Shocked

- Bill

Last edited by Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel) on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:

Katsu: I have yet to hear anything from them. Which is rather unfortunate. You'd think that they would jump at the chance to do a commission that could lead to adding another product to their line. Their loss, I suppose. I do have a couple of buddies that, I think, could give me a helping hand in building this mask.

Remember, it IS the holidays. There might not be anyone around to respond to you.

I'm interested in seeing how you fare with this. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
Aramys Strael wrote:

Remember, it IS the holidays. There might not be anyone around to respond to you.

I'm interested in seeing how you fare with this. Good luck.

Point...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to the hair.... I guess I should ask the Wookiee costumers: how much hair did you use when making your wookiee masks? That might give me a good base to start with in figuring out how much hair to get for the project.

- Bill
Drago Seron ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I could assist you with this but to make it really "pop" I'll need more time to get it perfect. Once you finalize the items for the mask, we can go forward to making it. Trust me, I'll get you suited up. Fett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be pretty sweet! Thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to resurrect this bad boy..... camel mask and evil brows have been ordered. I decided that I am not going to use the hood (and save myself some money) because I think I will go the route of that Thade mask build that I saw recently. Seeing as how I am going to be in Florida for the debuting of this costume (hopefully!), I think that way would be better, and keep me from cooking in that mask!

I also went ahead and ordered some hands, too. Although, I didn't order the Immortal hands that I have pictured. Instead I went with some werewolf hands that were almost the same.

The nice thing with the werewolf hands are that it has an open palm (since I will be body painting my ears, I can do the hands, too) and an enclosure around the wrist, for a better fit. From the pics of the Immortal hands, it was lacking that important aspect.

So, we shall see if those hands work. If not, back to the drawing board, I suppose....

More updates, as I am able to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: