About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=274f8442d3c174aab8ef8aec68d14440Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Commanding Officer (CO) Q&A

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Commanding Officer (CO) Q&A Reply with quote

Quote:
September 11th through September 20th are reserved for candidate Question and Answer (Q&A) sessions. Members may post questions for the candidates to answer. On September 20th candidates will post final statements. Voting will begin on 12:01 A.M. EST September 21st through 11:59 P.M. EST September 30th, after which no more votes will be accepted.

In this thread please feel free to ask the candidates questions regarding the position and their intentions if they are elected to it.

Candidates:
jedidoug (Doug)
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly just having more events is not enough to generate interest... How do "you" think this can be improved?
Lord_Robert ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've notice most of the Rebel Legion members are also 501st members too. Most of them are actively posting on the 501st site and only once in a blue moon on the Rebel Legion site.

How do you plan to get them more active on the Rebel Legion site?
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that activity and actively posting is not something any one member can control and comes down to having more to talk about.

I do not think we have members more actively talking on the 501st forum than here, our sister group just has a more focal forum, whereas many of our members post in many areas on the Rebel Legion.

I believe posting activity and general interest begins with you, and your willingness to post as well. Right now, structurally the Bases are almost set up as a posting of whats going on, rather than a community.

As such, I do not think there is any one way to get a member more interested in posting, aside from creating community based threads.

There is also the matter of expecting the CO to do all the leg work.

This is not a "one man show" and a good leader is only supported by the willingness of his followers. If there is an event that you have, post about it. If there is something you want to find, something you want to do, just post. If you have a question ask the leadership staff or post.

The CO and XO are your leaders, and your liaison to the Officers of the Rebel Legion. But without group participation nothing happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If elected, what changes and / or improvements do you have planned for the 2009/10 term?
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main things that has been missing for us has been the printed materials, from business cards, flyers and general give outs.

One thing I will be pushing for will be getting some promotional materials together to really sell and advertise the Legion at conventions with this method.

I would also like to push a couple decent get-togethers for costume and prop building and even just a way for some of us to get together and chat about stuff and get on a more personal level.

I will also be continuing the growing bond that the local 501st Garrison and we have when it comes to events and conventions. Since my first day on the job as CO this has been a major priority and it has been very beneficial to us and our members.

We have had a great increase of members and I would like to see this continue. Its been an excellent year, and I look forward to another!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey_starr wrote:
Clearly just having more events is not enough to generate interest... How do "you" think this can be improved?

From what I've observed at the limited number of functions I've trooped, the RL is suffering from a PR problem - the public is becoming more aware of the 501st as the Star Wars costuming club, but doesn't know about the RL. I would like to see more materials being made available to the public whenever we troop in an effort to recruit more members and to generate more interest for what we're doing - promoting ourselves as the good guys. This could mean printed materials such as business cards, trading cards, brochures; it could also mean signage and trade show type banners at RL troops. Maybe even other giveaways that have the RL information on it - something that will set us apart from what the 501st is doing - since we are already getting confused with them when we are out trooping. This is in addition to requesting equal billing of the Rebel Legion at events where the 501st and RL will be trooping (such as Fan Expo). One issue I have is that there is not as much sharing of information between the 501st and the RL. I have recently become a 501st member as well, and hope to be able to help remedy this issue. Also, I have been thinking that the Canadian Base could benefit from having its own website, similar to the 501st Legion Canadian Garrison. The main purpose would be to list upcoming Canadian events, to invite the public to request appearances, and to promote the Canadian membership.

Lord_Robert wrote:
I've notice most of the Rebel Legion members are also 501st members too. Most of them are actively posting on the 501st site and only once in a blue moon on the Rebel Legion site. How do you plan to get them more active on the Rebel Legion site?

I think one reason that the 501st forum is more active is due to its members-only nature. I suspect that if the Canadian Base forum were private, we would see more activity and more discussion of topics - with members knowing that what they say isn't going to made public for all to see. One solution may be to make this section of the forum members only. Whether or not this is feasable remains to be seen. One complaint I've heard is that there's nothing to talk about on the RL forum. Perhaps new members do not feel they can initiate the discussion. I believe it's the job of the CO and XO to welcome new members and encourage them to discuss their ideas, give suggestions, etc. in a nurturing and gentle way - this may include sending PMs to new and inactive members and/or emails to invite them to join the discussion - and feel their perspectives are important and that the CO and XO want to hear from them (not to mention other RL members).

grey_starr wrote:
If elected, what changes and / or improvements do you have planned for the 2009/10 term?

As I've mentioned above, one of my beefs is the way information is shared between the 501st and Rebel Legions. I would like to see more open communication and dissemination of information to the RL membership. This, to me, is one of the main areas for improvement. I would also like to help to break down the prejudice that appears to exist with some 501st members - sometimes we are seen as riding the coat tails of the 501st. To fight this image, we have to be prepared to work hard at conventions - helping to organize events & appearances, helping to set up and tear down, helping to spread information (staffing the table), and also to reach out to the community on our own. I believe it's important that if you are trooping, that you represent the RL as professionally as possible. We should be showing everyone that there is a reason we are the heroes of the Star Wars universe. A personal goal would be to have a large showing at Fan Expo next year and to organize our own photo shoot. Those of you who know me know that I'm proud to troop in my "good guy" costume even when I'm outnumbered by stormtroopers.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: