About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d6ac4a74f6da425c66d8d12752c74be5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My new project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montee916 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Mr. Green

I managed today to score some fabric for the shirt and have been in hack and slash mode all afternoon. Fortunately there weren't that many pieces to cut out in the end:

One concern I did have was the size of the pattern piece to be cut to provide the facing for the jacket. It just didn't seem wide enough to me, as can be seen in this pic comparing that piece to what I ended up cutting out:

What I did was recut the jacket front pattern from the bib's outer edge (in blue) to the center line (in green) rather than the facing line (in red).
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have it too big in the beginning so if needed it can be trimmed down for the perfect fit. Good work Montee. Things are looking good and like the process you are using.

Phoenix 17
Kalinovich ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Awesome job so far! I've been working on a Han Solo ESB costume on my end, but I'll wait till you finish to truly get started. Keep us updated on your costuming journey! Can't wait to see the finished shirt!
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Better to have it too big in the beginning so if needed it can be trimmed down for the perfect fit. Good work Montee. Things are looking good and like the process you are using.

Thanks Steve. Yeah, it's always been one of my favourite quotes - it's better to have the excess and not need it, than to need the excess and not have it. And TBH, it looks like the extra I added is still only just enough.

Kalinovich wrote:
Awesome job so far! I've been working on a Han Solo ESB costume on my end, but I'll wait till you finish to truly get started. Keep us updated on your costuming journey! Can't wait to see the finished shirt!

Sweet, will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Very Happy I don't know how much experience you have with this sort of thing, but if I could give one piece of advice it would be to measure everything 3 or 4 times before you start cutting. I know a few times I've been caught out with lengths and the like.

Oh, and just coz I've been wanting an excuse to use these guys: Dance Chewie Dance Chewie Dance Chewie
My Bloodstripes arrived in the letterbox today! Mr. Green So once the shirt is done I can jump right in to putting the pants together.
Kalinovich ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the project going? It's been a week, and I'd love to hear how the shirt is coming along.

Thanks for the advice. I'm reminded of what my dad told me when I was helping him cut some wood: Measure twice, cut once.

Do you mind telling me a little bit about what fabric you made your pants from, and a little bit about that entire process? I'm dieing over here for updates about your costume!

Thanks montee!
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalinovich wrote:
How's the project going? It's been a week, and I'd love to hear how the shirt is coming along.

Mad Let's just say if I said out loud what I think of how the shirt is going, I'd probably get banned for using that kind of language. Laughing

Yeah, it's gone a bit pear shaped TBH. I've ended up having to pull it all apart and recut the front and back panels. I guess I should have listened more to my own advice. Rolling Eyes Hopefully can get it assembled over this weekend and move on to the next stage. I'm at T minus 3 weeks and counting! Surprised

Kalinovich wrote:
Do you mind telling me a little bit about what fabric you made your pants from, and a little bit about that entire process? I'm dieing over here for updates about your costume! Thanks montee!

For the pants I'm using a fabric called gabardine, which is a common choice for people doing Imp Officers uniforms. From memory it's about 70% polyester and 30% cotton, so it's pretty easy to work with.

I found a suit pattern which has the pin stripe down the front already, so all I had to do was add the riding seam. For that I copied the piece for the back of the leg onto new paper and cut it up the middle where the riding seam would go. Then I copied those two pieces on to fresh tracing paper and added an extra inch to the two inside edges, where the seam will be.

Another tip that may be useful: get some elastic, say an inch or so wide, and sew a strip across the bottom of each leg like a stirrup. Then when you put the pants on you slip the elastic under the arch of your foot. That holds the pant legs in place and prevents it "scrunching" up when you pull your boots on.

Having said all that though, there is an UPDATE. Very Happy

I decided to attempt making my own holster, and I've drawn it all out and mocked it up using paper and cardboard. Here's where it stands at the moment:

so if anyonne else is looking at making their own belt, give me a yell. I'm working at scanning the full sized drawings I used to put this together and they will be separated to be printed on standard A4 sized paper. Smile
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montee, would you please let me know where you got the fabric for your pants. I have to redo mine.

You are doing well. Please keep the updates coming.

Phoenix 17
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Montee, would you please let me know where you got the fabric for your pants. I have to redo mine.

You are doing well. Please keep the updates coming.

I just ducked into my local fabric store and had a hunt around until I found some. From what I've heard, gabardine fabric is a fairly popular choice for making suiting with, so it shouldn't be too hard to track some down.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton gabardine is basically the same material that is used on apparel like Dickies pants and Ike Jackets. It is a little bit like cotton twill. I would think that either would work well for what you are wanting.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Well, not much of one, I'm afraid. At this point the shirt is going to need a complete re-think, so that has been put to one side for now and started on the pants instead. On a brighter note I've scored a leather belt for my holster rig, and I picked up my buckle set today as well.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
Cotton gabardine is basically the same material that is used on apparel like Dickies pants and Ike Jackets. It is a little bit like cotton twill. I would think that either would work well for what you are wanting.

- Bill

Wow... me and Bill agree!...lol .

He is right though. Depending on how uber accurate you wanna be, I would suggest going with a Twill like fabric as Bill mentioned. One of the things I have noticed about the blue twills that are out there these days... is that some of them are too blue, a bit bright if youy will. If you want to go uber accurate, try dying thae fabric a bit darker to get that special "Han Solo pants" look!

2 cents..

Bob

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes 3 of us that agree about twill fabric. I am redoing both of my Solo pants in the very near future and the hardest part is that I already have the bloodstripes, but the matching part is the most difficult.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
I am redoing both of my Solo pants in the very near future and the hardest part is that I already have the bloodstripes, but the matching part is the most difficult.

If you make your own bloodstripes you wont have the issues of matching them to the fabric. I just posted a thread to help you if you need it.
Making your own Bloodstripes

Bob
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Bob, what a way to perpetuate the notion that we don't agree on anything, or get along.... Rolling Eyes

Like I said, twill or gabardine is good stuff. I have always liked using it for my various costumes, from my current Imperial officers uniform to my unofficial CorSec agent uniform and even on my Mandalorian. It is great stuff. Not to mention that the fabric will hold up well over time.

-Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I am just messing with you... being 501 and all Wink

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: