About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=58f57501839f2eb0e86b066fc1914117Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH costume progress check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impearse (Ian Pearse)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Han Solo ANH costume progress check Reply with quote

Folks, here's what we have so far, thanks to my wife for her needlework. The jacket/vest (whichever you want to call it) needs the lower back pocket adding. The gunbelt is a work in progress, the holster bit is being worked on (amazing how hard it is to get the hang right).

All constructive criticism welcomed; I'd like for this to be as accurate as we can make it, within our resource limit. Very Happy The boots are not leather, couldn't afford the real thing, but they're comfy and don't look too bad I think. Similarly, the gunbelt is fake leather, but looks ok with a bit of work. The shirt is a bit of a problem, as the supplier of the material has gone out of business, and our local shop can't find another supplier. I hope no major changer are needed... Confused

Last edited by impearse (Ian Pearse) on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Bob's vest post for the ANH Vest! It spells out all the little details... Could be a big help and save you the trouble of needing to re-do pockets later... Looking good though!

"Never tell me the odds."
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just gotta push up your sleeves a little bit ;-)
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with Michael and Brian with the vest and sleeves. Might want to have your wife take up the sleeves a bit. Might want to refer to the padawan's guide to help on that to see how much to take them up.

The pants are a tad baggy and bunching up at the knees.

Other than that the Bloodstripes look great

Please keep in the loop on your progress. Anything I can be of help on please feel free to let me know.

Phoenix 17
impearse (Ian Pearse)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, yes, I think the trousers are a bit loose too. Not sure how easy it would be to adjust that but I'll mention it. We'll certainly look at the sleeves. Many thanks for the feedback...as British Rail used to say: "we're getting there"! Laughing
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the inseam is able to be taken in that might help some. I had that done on a costume in the works and it helped a lot.

The sleeves are an easy fix.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
just gotta push up your sleeves a little bit ;-)

One of the biggest changes I made to my Han was with the shirt fabric. The fabric you choose to use will make a TON of difference on how it wears and looks. If you look at the picture I have below, you can see how the shirt is wrinkled a lot in areas where there is movement - mainly the inner elbows. This tells me that the fabric is either a raw silk, linen, or a rough cotton. My first shirt was a cotton broadcloth (aka shirting), but I could never get the look that I wanted so I went with a silk noil.

About the fabrics:
Silks and linens tend trap dirt and oil alot better than other fabric... leading to worn look ... even stained. I think we can all agree that the shirt Han wears is not white, its more of a cream color or off white. It almost looks like he sleeps in it...lol My new shirt was made from a Silk Noil . You can get the same color by dyes or even a tea dye for the right color. It also helps if you wash it a bunch of times in hot water to wear it out a bit (get extra yards to accomodate any shrinking when you wash it).

There are many ways to get the right look for the shirt; I just wanted to share what I know. Remember... there are 2 different shirts for ANH ( ceremonial Han has a different shirt - a placket shirt like the ESB but with the collar turned down and no collar stand).
Note: The ANH shirt is NOT the same shirt that is used in ROTJ. Many people use the same shirt for both costumes. Rolling Eyes

For the pants bunching up at the knees or just being to loose, I would recomend stirrups on the pants to hold them down tight in your boot. That will keep the pants tight in the boot during your whole event. If your pants are still to loose, you may want to take them in a bit.

Bob

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a set of pant straps at my local sadle shop for $4, great investiment since they just clip on so I just needed one set for currently the two different outfits I have that require pant legs to go into boots.
Great info on the shirt fabric, everytime I'm in our local fabric shops I always look through the cottons and just never find anything that's quite right.
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is correct about the ANH and ROTJ shirts being different. D*C had numerous Hans with the wrong shirt for ROTJ.

Phoenix 17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: