About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=99938e833155f90412628e225a777d8bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X-Wing Pilot Costume — Leg Flares and Holder Tutorial

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: X-Wing Pilot Costume — Leg Flares and Holder Tutorial Reply with quote

X-Wing Pilot Costume — Flares and Holder

Parts needed:
7/8" Dowel Rod cut into 4" sections
Silver Spray Paint
2" Webbing olive drab green
(Or) Olive drab green canvas fabric
Light Weight 2" Strap or Elastic olive drab green
Brass Thumb Tacks (they don't rust)

Cut 8x 7/8" dowel rods into 4" sections. Round off the top and bottom's sharp edges and sand.

Spray paint the dowel rods with the silver paint. Put a few coats on each one.

Wrap the 2" wide webbing around the top of your boots to measure length and cut.
Take two of the 2" wide straps and sew them together side by side to make a 4" strap.
If using material, just make the holder 4" tall.

Cut the light-weight strap or elastic twice the length of the 4" webbing strap.
I have elastic on mine and it helps hold the flares, either way is ok.

If you have a heavy duty sewing machine you can sew it together.
Some people have even used hot glue to attach the straps together around each of the flares.
You can use one of the painted flares to gauge the spacing between each one.

Use velcro to attach the strap around your leg.

Dowels will work themselves loose so hammer flat brass thumb tacks through the back of the strap and into the dowel to hold them in place.

The finished Leg Flare Holder and Flares

You can wrap this around your boot if you have tall riding boots.
Some people use clips to attach the Flare Holder to the boot. Mine stays put, so I left that off...
If you have, shorter boots you can wrap it around your leg just above the boot.

Here's my old faded Flare Holder and a view of the tacks holding the dowels in place:

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: