About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4ca7b9c5d8118ef5e9b32d21471314fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Cossie Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuunaAstralis (Sophie King)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: B-Wing Cossie Tutorial Reply with quote

**WILL BE ADDING MORE PHOTOS SOON!!**
For the aspiring rebel pilot, why not try your hand at flying the B-Wing..
I think the costume can be overlooked as there are few good reference photos but I have done my best with what I had and hopefully you will think it's not a bad effort!
So here's the finished costume...

Aw I look so happy! Very Happy
And here's how I came to that ----->

I started by reviewing the costume requirements!
Always a good place to start for ALL costumes!!

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16674

So, from the bottom to the top;

THE BOOTS

I used German Knobbelbecher boots purchased from eBay. Woo!

THE SPATS/GAITERS

I bought, from eBay again, a pair of tan leather half chaps.

THE RED FLIGHTSUIT

From eBay again, I purchased 2 Dickies children's 34" coveralls. One for the main flightsuit and the other as a sacrificial source of fabric for pockets!

I used the above X-Wing Flightsuit modification picture to work out roughly where the pockets needed to be and how big they should be and like the true seamstress I am I used wonder webbing to iron all the pocket mods onto the flightsuit! Laughing

WHITE WEBBING BELT

The wonderful resource that eBay is, I bought a large wrap of white webbing for this and the harness.
I also bought the belt buckle from the Bay... I chose a buckle like this..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-INCH-2-SILVER-COLOURED-BELT-BUCKLES-LOT-OF-2_W0QQitemZ370250979887QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ?hash=item5634ad9a2f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
And the mini flares I used were little hardwood pegs used for venting beer barrels that i had sprayed silver. They only tapered a little bit but this helps to stop them sliding out of their fastenings...

THE GAUNTLETS

I bought these in black! They're perfect!

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/GLOVES/Description/CEREMONIAL+LEATHER+GAUNTLETS/ItemId/3348/Default.aspx

THE FLAK VEST AND HARNESS

(When I have time I'll make a pattern for this)
I first made the vest out of a polyester fabric which was too light so I backed it with denim and used soda pipeline for the ribbing.
I butchered the straps on an old rucksack i had for the small quick release buckles Smile
I also very cunningly sewed (why does that word not look right?) velcro onto the front of the vest for attaching the chestbox to...
The front of vest is where the webbing harness is attached to with 2 stitched lines!!

THE CHESTBOX AND CLOTH HOSE

This was the most difficult aspect of the costume to fabricate. I have measurements but I need to draw a picture for them to make sense!
I used Kingspan (wall insulation foam board) as a base and measured and chopped, measured and chopped and when i had the shape i wanted. I then covered it in car body filler, sanded and painted! I added a scart lead head for detailing...

I made the hose by taking a length of garden hose and pulling it through a tube of cloth i made out of cotton bed sheet and secured with hose clips. The ends were plumbing connectors to enable the hose to be screwed onto the chestbox

THE FLIGHTCAP

An original ANH15, bought from eBay again!

TA DAA!!

There you go! Please ask if you have any questions and I'll answer the best I can!

Add me on FB if you want to have a peek at my crazy life!
facebook.com/sophiestarwars

ANH Princess Leia Senatorial Gown 90% complete
DDC Defender sporting blaster Foetal stages Wink
Slave Leia Bikini 5% complete (kinda)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: