About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1c67b7bbf6f1321f2b61ec1f868564eeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Making a Self-Scrunching Obi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Making a Self-Scrunching Obi Reply with quote

This tutorial is for making a self-scrunching Obi. I've noticed many people will simply make it taller and then try and scrunch it down manually when they put it on. My instructions will create an obi that does this naturally, and I believe is how the real movie ones were made. Take a look at this picture!

Note the wrinkles in the obi, the grain of this cotton gauze fabric, and note the diagonal weave. If you look at most obis, they are on the BIAS of the fabric, which will drape better. The few exceptions are flat obis, leather, fabrics with direction where the design needs to be straight, or something flat like Jocasta Nu's.

To start, you will need at least a yard of fabric. Cutting a bias piece for the Obi will take a lot of fabric, so take this into consideration when cutting your fabric if using the same fabric as your tunic. Your pattern will be a simple rectangle for most designs. Mine is made a little more round in shape, but I'll keep this pattern simple. You will start by drawing a rectangle and wide as your waist measurement (Keep in mind, this will be over your tunic and tabbards), and as tall as the finished measurement. It should be taller than your belt by at least 1" on both top and bottom. Add in a seam allowance on either side, and an extension on the left for your closure.

You will cut out 2 of your tunic fabric (or you can substitute 1 in a twill or canvas if you have a flimsy fabric and want some body. You can also cut fusible interfacing). Next you will pattern your bias piece. This piece needs to be taller than your body pieces by about 2" on each side at the center (more if your obi is particularly tall. My finished obi was 5.5" tall). This piece can either be a rectangle or tapered, like my pattern. If it's tapered like this, it helps by eliminating the need to do a lot of pleating on the sides. You don't need the extension, but you do need the seam allowances.

In the next step, you will take your first obi piece, and lay your bias piece on top, matching the top and bottom together. There will be excess fabric in the bias piece. Stitch down these pieces, preferably starting and stopping about half an inch in, so you can tuck in the finished edge near the extension.

Next, lay this down on the ironing board and start making your scrunches. There's no right or wrong way to do this, just start flattening, making shapes and tucks, and pressing with the iron until you get something you like. You can always repress later. Once you get any excess tucked in near the sides, you can fold under the side near the extension and hand-sew that down. On the right side, just top stitch this down.

Take your last obi piece and lay it wrong side down on top of the obi piece, making sure not to catch any excess fabric. Pin, but remember to keep one side open so you can turn it right-side out again. Stitch these together, trim, turn right-side out, turn in the open side, and hand-stitch.

Your obi should look similar to this (not the best picture, but...)

You will sew closures on the extension and the underside of the right side. I first did hook & eyes because I swore I saw some in a pic, but they were difficult to keep closed or to close on myself, so I added snaps, so I recommend snaps or velcro. Once you have your belt on, you can pull out some of your excess fabric to make the scrunching more apparent over your belt. Here's the finished product! Enjoy your Self-Scrunching Obi! Let me know if any of my instructions need clarification...

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial! Thanks so much.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Vera, is your character, Bren Lin, supposed to be the Temple's seamstress? Wink

Great info!

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jungilizt (Eddie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished making a couple of vinyl tabards, gonna work on makin an obi like this for them. It looks complicated, but I am known to read too much into something that is actually very simple.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to sew my obi soon and struggled on how to get the look right - until I found your great tutorial!
Thank you very much!! And by the way your costume looks great! Especially the combination of colors with the brown obi I like a lot.
Celi-Offee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, this is very helpful because many people want to be obi wan
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungilizt wrote:
Just finished making a couple of vinyl tabards, gonna work on makin an obi like this for them. It looks complicated, but I am known to read too much into something that is actually very simple.

Yeah, don't be intimidated, it is pretty simple Smile Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent tutorial! I'm working on an Obi-Wan Ep III, and tried this for the obi on the mockup, and it looks great!! So I'll be using this for the final costume as well!

This is the first obi mockup I made with this tutorial! I made it too wide, so I made a second one, but don't have pics of the second one yet, but the over all look from this tutorial is great, even if I goofed up the dimensions on my first attempt. lol!

Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made my obi with the help of your tutorial and it turned out great. I was totally amazed how good it turned out and how easy it was to do.
So again thank you very much for your tutorial!

By the way, as you stated in your tutorial I highly recommend using interfacing for those who use something like crinkle cotton gauze.
Trousers:Working on
Belt and boots:Pending
jungilizt (Eddie)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made my first obi like this and WOW, it looks so much better than the old flat non bias obi I had before. Trooped it at the first weekend of Star Wars Weekends and I was very proud. While there, I was comparing costumes with some guys from the 501st that do Anakin/Vader, before he became a crispy critter amputee, I was amazed that they did not have a standard for an obi like this. The 501st is much more strict on their costume rules, but this is one thing they did not seem to catch on.

My costume is actually cheap poly/cotton blend, does not look screen accurate for the prequels, but works for me well enough. It is harder to notice that it is on the bias, but definately scrunches nice. I definately think it added more to my costume than I ever would have thought. I am working on another one now for the crinkle cotton costume. Thanks for being such an amazing costumer Vera!
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this, Vera. I just finally saw this, of course AFTER I made one! I'm redoing if though, using your tips. Should be perfect (esp with the gauze).

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Zam I Am ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera, does it have to be cut on the bias? I only have so much of this fabric that matches the outter tunic and am afraid to cut it on the bias, and leaving me with not enough for my outter tunic.
radtrinidad (Leia Askin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll need to sticky this post.
kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tutorial!

So do you start with three pieces of obi fabric or two?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: