Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa491409de4814a13475130980b33f22Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Saber Forge - our History (a warning)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try energizer 'E2' lithium (or titanium) batteries. expensive, yes.
but they are supposed to last "7 times longer" than regular alkaline*

* (I know what you're thinking: "supposed by whom?" hehe Razz
thats just what they say on the box. your mileage my vary)
Alcfalath (Matthew Wilson)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I can understand your pain and frustration, I have to stand by Saberforge on this.

My main principle for this is that I wire sabers myself, and have done so for my friends and collegues. In my book, you would have broken my golden rule. "If you, as a customer, take the saber apart and/or make any modifications whatsoever besides replacing batteries, then all warrantees are null and void, and all repairs will be at your, being the customers, expense."

Saberforge has stood by his product, and his only 'fault' whould have been not to send back your 'aftermarket' switch. What sounds to be the key to the problem is your power source. Try numerous style batteries, and mainly the top end ones.

Also keep in mind, i only get about 1-1.2 hours continuous run out of my sabers, with a 7.4v pack, however I am running soundboards, accent LEDS and a vibrating motor. If I dont use a 7.4 pack, i have to use 6AA batteries, which wont last even 30/40 mins.

Ive also had my stunt 'non sound' sabers last 4-6 hours continuous use (with quite a bit of dimming in the blade however) at conventions, so you may have to consider that for your requirements you may have needed just a stunt blade.
CooR ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have ordered from Saber Forge, the Sinister Prophecy, and the only thing I am concerned about is that the color and brightness are a bit weak. The hilt is beautiful though and the sound is full.
Corsair 13 'CooR' / Honorary Dragon Snake 7
Ari C'rona (Lisa Samson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcfalath,

I have to disagree with you. As Phil initially contacted us, I described what we needed, and he made it clear that his product would be just what we wanted.

The hilts are wonderful, but the electronics don't work right - they've never been as bright as the photos on his site, and he did not return the switch that he took off. His stand is not responding to our request - ignoring the customer.

Frankly, we'd be thrilled if our sabers stayed on for an hour rather than 2-3 minutes. I did not replace my switch, but had the original still on - I still have the same issue, worse now than when we first received them. Whatever he did to our sabers actually shortened the time they stay lit.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. We would like to have the situation resolved in a professional manner.

~Ari
Hendel D'bu ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I am thrilled that Mr. Isherwood has responded to this thread.

I am also thrilled that others have had wonderful experiences with his sabers.

Phil, I love our hilts - they are beautiful.

Unfortunately they are unusable, due to the power issue. Staying on for 2-3 minutes, (or even x7 = 14 - 21 minutes with lithium) is not acceptable. I cannot get the wiring fixed until I re-purchase another switch, which I will do. Enjoy the switch, Phil. And I will have to remove the sound board, since that seems to be the problem - so much for the extra $55.

Voiding the warranty? OK, I'll give it to you. I wish you would have just said that you couldn't fix them in the first place. I would have taken another route.

You could have just given a call and talked to us directly.

Since this is the first item we have ever stepped out and purchased for our costumes online, it makes me even more wary to purchase other items. And, I don't really care about your ebay rating...I just wanted my saber to work like it was supposed to.

Furthermore, I don't want to tit-for-tat on this forum. We tried to settle this by phone, then by email in a polite and professional manner. Posting here as a warning was our last resort - not as a threat, but to help others avoid such hassles. I don't think we have ever been rude or mean-spirited, either - that is just not how we do things.

We have only been costuming a couple of years, and have learned so much about putting together a complicated costume. We have learned leatherworking, sewing, and how to build props. Now I guess I learn how to wire lightsabers.

So, for that - thanks.

~Hendel

Last edited by Hendel D'bu () on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronin Faust (Dean Gill)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck on your journey of constructing your own lightsaber, or even just wiring it up.
youll find alot of satisfaction when you ignite it for the first time after getting it done.

I would recommend getting a rechargeable li-ion power supply made with 18650s. they will give you the longest playtime. and for sound Id investt in a good sound card. either an FX board taken from an MR/Hasbro or an Ultrasound 2.x

contructing your own lightsaber should be on every Jedis journey
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would recommend getting a rechargeable li-ion power supply made with 18650s. they will give you the longest playtime. and for sound Id investt in a good sound card. either an FX board taken from an MR/Hasbro or an Ultrasound 2.x "

And where would someone procure these items? Can I get them at Custom Saber Shop? I already have the Hasbro soundboard - that's the one that I was going to remove because of the power drain...

Any help would be appreciated, to be sure!

~Hendel
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what Hasbro soundboard you mean. The Hasbro (MR) one referred by Faust are the New 'Movie Replica' Hasbro FX sabers, which are almost identical (at least electronically) to the Master Replica soundboards. If it isnt that, then it is most likely from the Toy series. If it is the latter, you will want to have the prior style soundboard mentioned above, which is normally procured by purchasing then gutting a Replica FX saber for it. Ultrasound can be found at The Custom Saber Shop or at FX Sabers I believe.

As for power, you can get Trustfire Li-Ion's quite easily, especially the 16500 series (being 3.7v each and the size of a AA) in a pack of 2 from TCSS when in stock. However, you will need to use a resistor between this and the soundboard or it will start puffing 'magic smoke' and never make a sound again. All the information you will need about this is on The Custom Saber Shop forums, all you need to do is search for it, especially in the New To the Saber Scene Topic at the top of the main forum page.

Good luck and hope you end up getting your saber running nicely.
Hendel D'bu ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply and direction, Alcfalath. It is greatly appreciated.

~Hendel :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: