About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=397f2b3109f23191b51a0d1327790a95Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Barriss Offee Belt Buckle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Barriss Offee Belt Buckle Reply with quote

To make my Barriss buckle, I used-
Two thirds of a 4oz pack of milliput or any similar epoxy putty
rolling pin and small kitchen knife or a craft knife
fine sandpaper
Decoart - dazzling metallics elegant finish acrylic paint-
copper for the 'leafy bits' and 3 shapes
glorious gold for the heart
emperors gold for the beaded edges
Decoart - patio paints basics
brown for the main part of the buckle
black for the weathering effect (mixed with water)

I started by making a rectangle, roughly 4 inches by 3 inches with rounded corners. Using a rolling pin to get it smooth and even.
I then used half a pea sized amount of milliput to make each bead. Roll them into a bead shape and stick each one round the edge. I’ve found the best way is to use a little water on each bead to help them stick to the edge.

Once the beaded edge is done, I carved the heart and leaf design into the buckle using a small knife. Once that’s done. It’s best to leave it 24 hours to completely dry-

Once the buckle is dry, use a small piece of sandpaper to gently remove any rough bits from where it’s been carved.

Next step is the painting, any acrylic paint will do in the right colours, I’ve listed the ones I used at the top of this post. I found it’s best to do the light colours first and the brown part of the buckle last. Use a small brush for the beaded edges and paint the back of the buckle too. –

Once the paint is dry, use a black wash to weather it. I used black acrylic paint mixed with water, more water than paint. Using a brush I applied it to the buckle and then wiped it off with a cloth. –

Now to attach the buckle to the belt. I used two giant paper clips. I had some milliput left over so I used that to secure the paper clips to the back of my buckle, and once they were set I painted them black.

Reference picture -

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Sarah!!!

Thanks Very Happy

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: