About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fd65c9732035e6d23476791f70c41a1eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X Wing pilot helmet kit assembly tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
I always thought the chin straps were more of a nylon strapping, as opposed to elastic.

I used nylon strap for my RFT helmet instead of elastic, with a quick release buckle up under the temple on one side for easy relasing of the strap... I thought to do something similar for my helmet when I get the kit...

Aramys Strael wrote:
Either way, if it is real elastic that you are looking for, I would think that any variety store would have it, not just craft shops like Michael's or Joann's.

Another thing you can do (I learned this through some trial and error with my Mando armor) for that snap option (I am assuming you mean where the straps adhere to the inside of the helmet?) is to glue the male end to the inside of the helmet. (I used CA glue with the accerator) It did take quite some time for the glue to properly harden and cure. The female part of the snap you would just attach to the chin strap material as you would when attaching the snap to a garment, or belt, or whatever.

Just make sure that the glue and accelerant doesn't hinder the two snap pieces from connecting properly.

Another thing I did for some of my snaps was to add a little bondo around the edges of the snap. But unless you have a way to apply a small amount around a very small portion of space (the edges of the snaps don't boast much area), it may be more trouble than it is worth.

At any rate, this was the painstaking process for me when attaching my snap system to my Mandalorian armor. It may, or may not be quite the same as what you are after, but maybe there is something there that you can use. Just be sure to singe the holes, for the snaps, that you punching into your strapping material. Not doing may cause the material to unravel.... kind of like how if you don't cauterize a wound, the poor sap who is wounded could bleed out.

I hope this helps... otherwise, my post was useless. Mr. Green

- Bill

I finally put snaps on everything for my General Kenobi armor, and some hints to built on what you said:
To make your hole through the elastic or webbing 'cauterized', use a soldering iron to poke the hole through to do it all in one neat step.
For the half of the snap that's attaching to the armor/helmet, drill a hole through a small square of scrap plastic, and use a heat gun or boiling water to make the plasict pliable and bend down the corners if they don't lay flat with the 'back side' of the snap piece, giving you more surface to glue.
In either of the above applications, don't be afraid to add a small bit of glue between the two halves of the snap and either the fabric or plastic you're getting ready to set it in... as much abuse as these snaps can take, it' can't hurt...

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't have any problem with using the adhesive velcro for thier chin straps. Using any kind of glue that fuses to the plastic by partially melting it can distort the outside of the helmet or cause the paint to bubble from within. If you really wanted to you could mount the snap directly through the helmet on the square area at the bottom front of the helmet. I have never seen this done, but it would look pretty good there. I put an orange circle decal right on that spot and it looks nice. Still given all the problems with glues of any type, JB Weld, Plastic Weld, 2 part epoxy or CA glue, I would use the adhesive velcro. To make the strap attach to the velcro, glue the hook/loop side to the helmet inside. Either sew or do like Richie's does and fold the soft velcro over the end of the strap and staple it down. That's my view. Anybody else have any ideas?
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am rebuilding my RFT Helmet, I have found an interesting thing. If you use a hard hat liner in your helmet to keep it on your grape, look into hard hat chin straps.

They attach to the liner, can be replaced with a black nylon if they don't come in the correct width or color, and are made to keep whatever you are wearing in place. Most have either a side-release or a push-button release up near one side which keeps it out of sight.

This is just my two credits.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my RFT helmet, I'd rather not have everything attached to the helmet liner. I guess I don't quite trust the little bit of Velcro that is on the liner. I like a little extra added security by having my chin strap attached directly to the helmet itself.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably one of the few points that Lori and I don't agree on. I mounted my straps to the hard hat liner and it worked fine for me. Might not work for some folks, but its another option for some.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way a helmet goes together inside (liner, padding, chin strap, etc.) is VERY specific to the wearer- there are many ways to do it and nobody will ever be able to come up with a single method that will work for everyone.

M

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that your visor attachment image has 2 strips of velcro on the sides of the visor, and corresponding velcro on the inside of the helmet. Do these 2 velcro connection points line up perfectly with each other in yours? In mine, if I velcro as instructed, it appears there will only be about a 30% contact area between the velcro. The visor is not flush with the helmet.

Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure I put the helmet together correctly.

Also, what does the CA stand for in CA glue?
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works well if you have the velcro on the visor go over the bend. It makes contact really well.

CA stands for Cyano-Acrylate. Its actually one word- Cyanoacrylate. Either way, much easier to say CA!

M

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maboot38 wrote:
In mine, if I velcro as instructed, it appears there will only be about a 30% contact area between the velcro. The visor is not flush with the helmet.

Mine is the same way. The helmet is curved quite a bit more than the visor. I put the velcro over the bend on the visor as Mark instructed and although the points of contact are small, it seems to be working. I used industrial strength velcro and while I haven't actually worn the helmet around yet to test it out, I've found that I have to pull pretty hard to separate the visor from the helmet.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have photos of exactly where the chinstraps are attached in their helmets? I'm assuming it is further up inside based on how it appears in the flims.
thorn ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arise, o dead thread, arise!!!

Hey, I just started putting my X-Wing helmet together and I'm not sure how I need to finish the mohawk in the back.

Mark posted some good pictures of the rough assembly, but I'm not sure how it should look when it's in finished form.

Thanks in advance!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I have any better photos, but in the meantime...

tuck it under like this...

but trim it so that it doesn't interfere with the black weather stripping you put around the edge like this:

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Peagis ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post some better pics of the lower half without the edging on it and the back as well? Thanks
Bespin Phillips (Bren Phillips)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best glues on the market is CA (Cyno-Acrylate) based- called "mitre bond" it's the same as super glue and had an accelerator with it. this stuff is amazing, we use it in work for bodning mitred edges of shirting boards and architraves together. the bond is as good as you can get, the only problem is if you drop your helmet and the bond breaks. I used a high strength polymer based mastic called " stix-all". it has a great bond too, and has a little bit of expansion to it just in case you drop the helmet, so the bond doesn't break. I re-inforced the tabs inside my helmet with some bondo to make sure the tabs never get any wear and tear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: