Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7e1e345175ad699b15ba17ec67ac9bd7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Possible Event- Autism Walk Volunteering - KC 10/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Possible Event- Autism Walk Volunteering - KC 10/10 Reply with quote

I had an event request for a great charity event, but it's a bit different from the usual 'show up and troop' opportunity as they want us to actually get sweaty and do some work too (not that the costumes aren't sweaty already). I want to see what you all think about doing this before I commit to anything beause it will be a bit more taxing than we're used to.

The main request is for this:
This event is held at the Kansas Speedway, and they would like to have lightsabers directing trafic in the morning as folks arrive. This means the the preferred folks would be Jedi or Sith obviously, but I've asked and other characters are fine as well. The thing is, we'd actually be working with the trafic volunteers directing actual trafic, so we'd need to be there around 6 AM in the morning and also attend a volunteer education session sometime before the event.

Beyond that, they mentioned that we could hang around for photo-ops later in the event, but they'd really like to have us working trafic so folks will see us as they first arrive.

The walk is held Oct. 10, so we've got a while but not TOO long so if you think you could handle this let me know. I'm going to ask some of the other groups as well if they have anyone who wants to help, but RL was requeted specifically (because we've got the Jedi/lightsabers) so I'd hate to dissapoint.

Thanks gang!

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, just want details on the "traffic control class" we'd have to take....
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have interest in participation. I will check with some of the others I know with Jedi outfits and MR sabers and get back to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just an update on my thinking on this now, please feel free to add your thoughts on the subject:

I've been holding off on contacting the coordinator for this until after the Make-A-Wish walk this weekend because that's going to be very structured it sounds like, in how they use us characters, so I want to observe and learn, and maybe se about suggesting that instead of us doing parking volunteering, we emulate assignments from the make-a-wish walk (and thus get around the dual problems of needing training and having to be there at 6 AM... we'd only have to be there at 8 AM Wink ).

That, and there's a pretty good chance I'm hearing of a fairly big event that day that we may need to provide a few people too... If they don't overlap directly time-wiseI think we'd be able to swing both events in the same day (we did pottery barn kids and wizards in one day last year, this will be similar to that Wink ). But especially for folks like you from out of town Ben, I think it'd make it a very productive use of your time to travel, if you could do a big charity event in the morning and maybe a LFL-partner event in the afternoon... (like I said, no promises, just tossing out possibilities and hoping the stars align).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent the contact a proposal for us to troop this similar to how we just did the Walk for Wishes this weekend.

Also, I have a close friend who's got an autistic son, so I'm trying to find out if he's going to this and if he does and puts together a 'team' I'd like to see us adopt his team and help him raise money too...

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the PBK event that directly would conflict with this and the wedding later in the day, I went ahead and told these folks that we're not going to work out this year, to try us next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: