About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1a5d23228e7ae0cbec937d90601d3d4fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Master Jedi speaks his mind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuey ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Eric (Rogue9) thanks for chiming in and making some powerful observations. Eric referred to a recent Lucas Art event where both original trilogy rebels and imperials were needed. To help promote Battlegrounds, Electronic Playground wanted to recreate a battle between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance as an interview took place. While sufficient Imperial cannon fodder did not prove a problem, having rebel troopers proved a challenge. 501st members, who also happen to be RL members, played such roles as rebel commandos and troopers. Here are some pictures of Rogue9's rebel command outfit used in that shoot.

For more images, check out this link, http://www.goldengategarrison.com/albums/ep_shoot/index.htm.

Bridget, I would definitely borrow an RL banner as stop a gap measure. I take it you are getting it from another rebel garrison? However, I think the Endor Base would benefit from having its own and should investigate that possiblility. We can take more when Brian, Robert, you and I, meet up.

Master Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Well thank you all for your input. While it's obviously true that we want more recognition, it will no dought take alot of effort. Now our presance will be at the Sac Comic Con., but I don't expect to be as big of a hit as the 501st, after all this will be our first time having a table there, ( gotta start somewhere), and we will just have to strive to make every event bigger and better to eventually reach our goal- which will take time.

As far as getting a banner, yes it is a great idea that we should have our own, everyone seems to agree on this, now lets see if people can give ideas on place to have one made, I don't know, but I'm sure others might.

Thanks for all your input, these discussions always help.

Master Jedi

Rogue9 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Boy, every time someone takes my picture I look terrible.

For that shoot a bunch of us threw together Reb commandos in a week or so time.

Something I've wanted to do for years.

Having a presence seperate form the 501st would be a good idea instead of sharing a table.

The Stormtroopers will get all the notice, as I have observed a number of times, including at WonderCon last month.

Course show in force works well, like we had at BayCon a few years ago with 2 full Squadrons of X-Wing Pilots for our Down Time Rebel Party.

A Rebel Alliance Table and Banners would work well for our cause.

I'll be at BayCon in the afternoon this Saturday, but wearing Colonial Marine, might bring the X-Wing as well.

Rogue9

Nitesky ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

I know someone that makes banner, signs and does window logos for businesses. If we get a design, dementions and such, I could probably get a good deal , let me look into it. In the mean time if  there are any banner ideas (size, color, design) let me know so I could try to pin down a price.
Tionne Hawk (Bridget Maguire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Thanks Nitesky, that would be great!! Anyone with any creative design programs is more than welcome to post ideas of what it should look like. What size is the 501st  banner, Mark, just for reference?

I think it should focus on the Rebel Legion, but also have the Endor Base logo on it so that people can see that we are local.

Eric (Rogue 9), those costumes look great! I need to watch ROTJ again to see about making myself one. I like the poncho and those seem simple enough, but where do you get/ how do you make the hats?

Chuey ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

I do not what the measurements are for either of our banners. I would need to measure them. The Central California Garrison has our own garrison banner that looks similar to this.

We also have a general 501st banner that look something like this.

I would focus on getting a general Rebel Legion banner first.

Later on, develop an Endor Base banner that incorporates the RL and Endor Base Logo. You may want to coordinate your effort with CO Chris James or try to drum something on your own.

While I can not speak for Eric, he has been good to me in sharing his wealth of knowledge and expereince. I am sure if you ask him directly and nicely, he can point you in the right direction.

Rogue9 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Thanks.

The helmet (donut) i got from a friend in LA a few years ago.

I'm in the process of getting a few others to help make a mold so they will be available to the garrison.

the inner soft part is a WWII U.S. AN-H-15 flight helmet that is expensive and hard to find so I made my own using a simple pattern I made off a real one.

Only Luke & Leia had ponchos.

The hooded jacket and the vest are not that hard to make.

I used McCALL's pattern P272 for both.

If you want more info or pix of the AN-H-15 pattern and instructions feel free to e-mail me.

darkwave @ juno. com

Rogue9

Archangel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Just throwing out some ideas ... some are impractical and are noted as such.

Rebel Legion Photo Ops

The 501st often has a background for people to pose in front of. That's great, but what about going one more step? Get a Rebel General or Princess Leia to 'award' a child something like the Medal of Yavin. (Obviously, we can't give each kid their own medallion, but as a photo op, it'd work nicely.) A simple certificate can be printed out and any member with good handwriting or printing can fill in the kid's name as a junior member of the Rebel Alliance. (Don't use "Rebel Legion" as we don't want to create any appearance that we've allowed someone into the group contrary to our 18 years or older rule.)

Other variations include having a 'Jedi Training' photo, allowing a child to pose with a lightsaber. (Most likely a Big Yellow Box style saber with a wooden dowel blade and reflective tape on it, so it 'photographs' without retouching.)

Lightsaber Training

A common sight at Renaissance Faires is 'fencing lessons'. We would have to square away any legal responsibility issues before allowing kids to swing at one another or even at one of us. We would also want to have any 'lesson' prescripted and memorized - no improvisations!

Similar to this, and requiring some design/construction, would be some kind of 'hit the training remote' game - whether the remote is on a swing arm that is being rotated by a motor which makes a telltale noise, or actively controlled like a cat toy. Not sure what the prize would be for successfully hitting the remote. (We'd also have to have a number of remotes ready, as there will undoubtedly be kids who will lay about like crazy.)

Trivia Contests or Giveaways

Buy some of the current figures, or some of the Lego mini-sets (I have a mini Star Destroyer and Imperial Shuttle, and they're quite cool). Have a trivia contest or drawing; it might be fair to charge $1 for a ticket and subtract the cost of the figures from the total, with the remainder going to a designated charity. Exact rules for the drawing are unimportant other than you don't want it to conflict with something like Tobey Maguire's appearance or a panel with Steve Sansweet.

====

Outside of convention appearances, volunteer at a phone bank for a telethon (I don't know if they would allow us to show up in costume, but if we can get the group mentioned, that would still serve the primary purpose.) Not sure if there will be something like TechTV's 'Call for Help' marathon, because they just laid a whole bunch of people off.

KTEH routinely had fans manning phone banks for their pledge nights, but that has long been the 'territory' of Silicon, and I'd be leery of stepping on their toes. (Mostly 'cause I know them.) Still, for Sacramento folks, this is out of the question - KTEH is in San Jose, and they'd likely want us for Sunday Night Sci-Fi.

Visits to a children's hospital would be good. This is where we really need a point person like a CO or XO to draft a good letter and pitch the Rebel Legion. Marquee characters like Leia, Han, and Rebel pilots are good here.

Can we do something with a food bank? Ideally, making a donation is easy enough, but getting media coverage out of it would probably require said donation to be impressive ... most impressive. Since we don't have dues or fees, that's out of our pockets - and tough on the students among us. This will probably be one of the least workable ideas.

Alternatively, get a Team Jedi in a local walkathon, or even a Bowling for Kids charity event. We don't have to be on television to get noticed.

Bob

Rogue9 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Interesting ideas.

My biggest problem with them though, is that as many others have mentioned,  is that Jedi are NOT Rebels.

They where extinct before the rebellion started and should be a completely seperate group.

That aside.

For a back drop I know of someone that can print up a large one like we had at Wondercon last year showing the Death Star hanger with the Falcon.

I have a hi res pick on the Yavin hanger that would work well or Docking Bay 94, not sure of the cost, Chris might know.

The 501st has hand outs and coloring books for kids, Honorary Rebel Member name tags on a string,  something to think about.

Yes Imperials handing out Rebel stuff, go figure.

Candy or stickers for the kids, something I usually carry when I wear my Fett.

Rogue 9

Rogue9 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

For those with Jedi costumes don't take my above comment as a slight twords you, I have a costume myself.

But they are not Rebels and should not be in the same category, same with Clone Troopers, they are both part of the Old Republic.

There is nothing worst than seeing nothing but poorly made or poorly maintained Jedi at a Rebel table and very little else

There needs to be a larger presence of well made and well maintained CANON REBELS.

Keep in mind that most people don't read the EU books so they won't know what they are. I have nothing against EU characters as I just did a Corran Horn Pilot for this last Wondercon (though most people thought I was an A-Wing pilot).

There is nothing more embarissing than being around a group with bad costumes, it gives the group and fandom a bad image and we don't want a bad rep like the Trek fans have.

We should be proud of our appearance like the Stormies are if we want the respect that they get.

Rogue 9

Archangel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Rogue9:

No offense taken. I've also mentioned the 'recognition' factor of a stormtrooper vs. a Jedi who clearly isn't Luke Skywalker or Ben Kenobi. Even with the greater numbers of Jedi in TPM/AOTC, Jedi are fighting an uphill battle. Even with EL sabers, they don't create the necessary 'image' in indoor lighting or bright sunlight. We've chosen characters with visible faces, and we will get compared.

On a thematic basis, Jedi are nonetheless associated with the Rebels. That may change with Episode III's release, where we find out exactly what Palpatine does that causes a purge - it could be as simple as saying, "I'm sorry, my friends, but we can no longer fund the Order" ... and suddenly, the Jedi are fair game.

Still, I think if we get sidetracked with "Jedi aren't Rebels," any battle for recognition is going to be that much more difficult and time consuming. (I'm aware that people routinely argue for EU characters to be recognized as Denizens or other categories in the 501st.)

Bob

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Those are all really good ideas and definitely things we should think about. I like the "pose with a lightsaber" idea and I think with all the Jedi at the next event in Sac we could do that.

In an effort to get more canon Rebel costumes, maybe we should also do workshops to either help start or finish costumes for pilots and other figures in the RL. You can never have too many costumes, right?

Chuey ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Master Jedi on 19 December 2003

I'm writing this in hopes of rekindling the flame in the Rebelion. I have noticed over several years the lack of Rebel attendance at events. The 501st shows up at events on a constant basis with a huge attendance. They have grown so large that they're even invited to certain events as guests, SO WHY CANT THE REBEL LEGION. We're just s good. On Dec. 14 we had a event at Sac. It was good ,fun, lots of 501st was there, but only 5 Jedi, 4 of which I brought from the Bay area.  ALL I WANT IS FOR OUR GROUP TO BE KNOWN, and to meet and see more Rebel Members at events. Meditate on this we all should.

Master Jedi

One could argue the whole Jedi associated with the Rebel Alliance with clonetrooper associated with the Empire all day long. I would like to focus on what Robert (Master Jedi) brought up in the first place to start this thread off.

His first questions involves why has the Rebel Legion not grown as large as the 501st. For a group to grow, it needs leadership and organization. Chris James serves as CO over a wide range of the Pacific coast for Endor Base over 41 members, from Northern California to Alaska to Hawaii. Eric (Rogue9) and I belong to 501st garrison that encompasses the Central California region. The 501st has grown so much in California that we have three garrisons and over two members.

Leadership - Chris can not realistically run Northern California by himself, let alone the entire Endor Base. People across this chapter need to step up who have the drive, passion, ability and time, to help out.

Organization -  When people help fulfill certain functions, it helps to maximize effort and reduces stress for leaders. The 501st as a whole and its chapters uses that model. The Rebel Legion should not necessarily follow this exactly, but learn from the benefits of adapting certain practices. I serve as the CO or Commanding Officer my garrison along with handling public relations and event coordination. As a business and project analyst , my career skills have greatly helped me in my job. My garrison staff includes a XO or executive officer who helps me with events along with maintaining club relations, a web liaison who handles our internet resources (website and news group), a membership liaison who assesses new membership along with maintaining records for current ones and squad leaders who help with the leadership of the two city areas within my garrison.

This organizational structure helps us to get organized for events, allows us to promote ourselves effecitvely and the burden of work gets distributed among others.

Secondly, comes to the issue of notariety or group recognization for the Rebel Legion. You have to understand what your audience knows and wants. When it comes to the world of Star Wars, key characters and very specific characters stick out in the minds of public and businesses. To distinguish yourself from others, you also want to maintain a level of quality.

Branding - Personally, I find nothing wrong with jedi outfits. I own myself and I enjoy wearing it from time to time. If you look at the Rebel Legion's roster, we have almost 20 pages worth of jedi. At conventions, I personally think anything goes. When one does programming for someone else, it helps to have a broad range of characters. The 501st draws on the fact that it has a range of generic characters like stormtroopers and bikers scouts, while also having specific characters like Darth Vader and Boba Fett. This broad range of characters has helped the group from stuff like LFL Presidio marketing event to local hospital events. I think it would be the coolest thing if a bunch of Rebel Legion members could try to play out the ceremonial scene at the end of ANH. You have a couple of people who at resemble Leia, Luke and Han. As folks have made the outfits, you could have others dress up a C3PO, Chewbacca and other rebel players (pilots, trooper, etc).

Quality - A customers wants a business to present the best face and members feel pride when they look good as a group. Either at the general club level or even from my garrison member officer, I hear stories how people want to join the 501st with a cloth Jango or stormtrooper outfit. You take a look at the recent Star Wars months for this year and last. Disney and LFL asks the 501st to continue to participate because we ourselves adhere to certain rules and we also abide by theirs. If a group dresses right and acts right, they will eventually get notices.

Rogue9 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Well said Mark.

The main point I was trying to make about the Jedi was that they are mainly what you see at Cons, this has been brought up by a number of people in the 501st that don't do Rebel costumes.

They want to see more varity.

WonderCon there was a Fleet Trooper and myself as a Pilot and Commando and a hand full of Jedi.

Having people that resemble spacific characters in quality costumes is a very good idea, but there should also be the supporting cast.

What's Vader with out a squad of Storm Trooers with him.

Mark and I have discussed doing workshops for both Pilot and Commando, but no dates have been set.

I really want to see a full squad of Commandos, especially after the shoot we did with Lucas Arts.

Not people in ponchs but full on gear, jackets, weapons, etc.

Rogue 9

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Master Jedi speaks his mind Reply with quote

Let us know if you come up with a date for the workshop. I'd love to attend and make a rebel costume.

The problem I have is that I am female and do not even closely resemble Leia or Padme (the most recognizeable female characters). This leaves my character options a bit limited. Jedi is the most obvious choice for me, but I think I could pull off a pilot or Endor scout if I had a good costume. You always wonder if those will even get recognized at conventions for what they are. Sure the orange flightsuits are a dead giveaway, but other than that people may not connect you with Star Wars.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: