Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8d0974d4daf2063aa5a66482a4f36ae1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Shaak Ti Apron- Progress Pics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanita ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Shaak Ti Apron- Progress Pics Reply with quote

I've started work on the apron for my Shaak Ti costume, aka the Togruta sash. You can see the pattern I drafted in the definitive Shaak Ti Apron pattern thread.

I'm posting these pics and notes to serve as a guide for anyone else looking to undertake this project for costumes of their own- here is what I have so far:

The first pic shows the cut out leather next to the pattern. The leather is approximately 3 oz tooling cowhide.
I used a stitching groover to cut a 1/4" border around the sides and bottom edge of the piece.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2574/3724864987_7db289ae1f_b_d.jpg

Here's the second pic- the design has been transferred, and the lines have been cut with a swivel knife. Note the book and 12" Shaak Ti doll laying next to it, to give a size perspective.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3493/3724864995_2baed4a70d_b_d.jpg

As I do more of the tooling and dye work, I will continute to update this thread with progress pics, until the thing is finished.
Sebastian Arms ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing it with color on it.

Sebastian

It's not impossible, I used to bullzye womprats with my T16 back home...
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a little test segment that I made, I'll have to take a pic and post it.

Thanks to "Dressing a Galaxy", I've got a large full page plate depicting Shaak Ti's apron. Some of the stamped designs appear to be made by tools I can't identify- either discontinued Tandy pieces or made by somebody else.
So I will be faking the look of those as best I can. But overall, I think this will end up being one of the more accurate reproductions out there, about as accurate as I could get without the original artist's tracing pattern, tool list, and dyes used.

If you scoot over to padawansguide, you will see some detailed pics of that apron on display- the apron appears to have been sewn right into the skirt's waistband! I won't be doing this with mine, as it would make laundering the skirt a royal pain if not impossible. I plan to attach it to a narrow belt which will be hidden under the 2" wide main belt.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are a couple more pictures- the bottom segment of the apron with some tooling for starters:

Here is the costume "Mocked up", to give an idea what the finished outfit will look like.
The black cloak is not the one I will be submitting with this costume- it's my first Jedi cloak, worn here to give an idea what the outfit will look like when finished. The final cloak will be brown wool-blend fabric. Likewise, the black shirt is just what I had on yesterday- I will be making a brown one for the costume, but the style is fairly close to Shaak Ti's. Scoop necked, semi-close fitting, and long sleeves.

The belt is the one I will be submitting with the costume, although I might have it on upside down- it's a 2" wide belt blank from Tandy, dyed with two coats of Java brown applied with a woul dauber, and a third coat- I believe I used range or canyon tan. I burnished the edges, and finished those and the belt back with Feibings edge dye applicator in brown, and coated the belt with a couple of coats of super shene, and a top coat of satin shene.
The brown colour of the belt is not uniform- it's darker in some places than others. But I like this effect- it makes the piece look "lived in" and organic, not like it came off the rack of some department store.
The belt buckle is one of Tandy's rectangular blanks covered in calfskin and dyed Java brown. For a finished look, I also covered the back of the buckle. The belt keeper and belt tip you see are fake- the screen-worn orginal featured those pieces, yet the design of tandy's belt blank makes a belt tip unneccessary. So I built a false tip and belt keeper using leftover belt leather and calfskin for appearances. These were finished same as the belt.

The skirt is also the one I plan to submit, although I will iron it first!
From reference pics I've got, the skirt does not appear brown, rather more of a rusty reddish-brown colour. The fabric in mine is a linen/rayon blend.
When I went to the fabric store, I took a printed out picture of the costume from Padawan's guide with me as a reference. My picture of choice included the skirt, and when I held the linen up to the print-out, they matched perfectly. I've compared several pictures to the colour of my fabric, and my linen is pretty darn close!

I'm also wearing the scarf that will be part of the costume- mine is made of a gold coloured satin with a gold-coloured embroidered mesh overlay.
Notice I said gold-cloured, and not metallic gold. Although the stuff shimmers almost like metallic fabric, it actually isn't. Shiny and gold coloured yes, but completely devoid of actual metallic thread.

And of course, I tucked the partially finished apron under my belt to hold it in place for the picture. I've got the bottom piece completely tooled, I'll have to take and post another complete picture.

Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The costume is coming alon great. Can not wait to see the finished Your leather work is looking spectacular.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is looking great! Please keep the updates coming.

I'm very interested in the work you are doing on the leather apron, as I'm hoping to begin working on my Luminara costume over the winter and want to make her apron and gauntlets out of leather. I'm planning to take a leather tooling class at my local leather store in the fall, so I appreciate seeing the work you are doing and what the possibilities are when working with the leather.
Zocha (Carolyn-Michelle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with kathgruben, this is so inspirational. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more progress. Very Happy
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here you go! I've got the bottom-most segment completely tooled and am ready to move upwards.
In the first shot, I've got a book, and my costume belt in the picture, to give an idea of the size of the piece. Notice how I try to include a different geeky book with each shot Razz First a KOTOR comic book, and now this!

The second shot is a close-up of the bottom segment, with the details of the tooling clearly visible. For some reason, the cross-hatched bevelling on part of the design isn't showing- must be the way the light is hitting it.

It will be a few days before any more updates- I have to work all this weekend, which really cuts into my tooling time Sad
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really looking great so far. Smile I've never tried that much tooling, but I know what it entails, and how much work it is.

It's going to be a great feeling when you wear it and someone asks, "Where did you get that?" or "Who made it?" and you can say, "I made it!"
Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The only part I am struggling with is the headpiece- I love the pink foam one somebody else here is doing, and I was thinking of trying to do one for myself. Only have a couple of problems- I live with my family, who have practically zero tolerance for mess. Second, I have very little sculpting experience, and I don't want to ruin an amazing costume with a junky headpiece sculpt. Third is painting the darn thing- to get it to look good, I would need an airbrush, which would set me back a lot of money, and I have zero experience using one.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say there would be no more updates for several days due to lack of time to tool this darn thing? I was wrong.
I'm a night watchwoman, alone on an isolated construction site, with lots of time in between patrols.
So I decided to bring my leather and some of my tools to play with.
Over the course of my two 12 hour shifts, I whacked at my piece of leather with a selection of approximately 16 different stamping tools, and now the tooling on my apron is finished! Between what I did at home, and what I did in between rounds, the darn thing has about 19 hours of work in it!
It took somewhere in the neighborhood of two hours to trace that whole pattern onto the leather, and another approximately 2-2.5 hours to cut the lines with a swivel knife. The rest was tooling time.

Here's the pics:

(Yes, that IS a Golden Gate Bridge toll collector's patch in the bottom left corner, ebay rules:) )

Here's the third segment, partially tooled- The bevelling is complete, the but the background matting remains to be done.

Here's the almost finished Togruta sash- 19 hours of tooling later!
Now it needs to be painted and dyed, goddess only knows how long THAT will take! And you just know I'm going to take lots of pics! Once the thing is finished, I plan to write up a tutorial for all the other Shaak Ti fans explaining how to make their very own amazing Togruta sashes!

Before anyone freaks on me for doing some of this at work, I find that having something intricate and fiddly like this to keep my hands occupied makes all the difference in the world when it comes to staying awake and alert. Other guards I've talked to report the same thing- on an "active" site where there is stuff going on 24-7, there's generally enough going on to keep you on your toes. But on a quiet site like this, where nobody is around and it's absolutely dead, it pays to have something to keep yourself awake when you're not actively patrolling.
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous Surprised
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speechless. Just what everyone else has said. Great work.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing, can't wait to see the finished product Very Happy

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got more! I've been actively dyeing and painting the thing for the last couple of days, and it now has about 8.5 hours of dye work, and still lots more to go!

Here are three of my better progress pics:
Here's the first part of the design painted- All the reddish parts of the design were painted using Tandy's Saddle Tan antiquing gel like a paint. When it is painted on, it appears a very dark brown. But when you take a piece of sheep's wool or a soft cloth and buff it, it goes to a striking orange-red colour. You can see my brushes, sheep wool, water dish, and even some of my reference pics on the table, together with the upside-down Togruta sash.

Here's the second part of the process- I picked out the lightest brown parts using canyon tan dye watered down- I believe my formula was 5 parts water, 3 parts dye. Full strength dye was too strong for me, so I have watered it down a bit, and applied two or three coats of this watered down dye to get the desired colour.

And here's the latest- I have picked out the darkest parts of the design in Java brown. It takes several coats of the Java brown to get the deep colour I desire. After this is done, I may apply the same process I used on my belt, with a coat of timber brown over the Java, which produces a lovely shade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: