About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1711ea6642cae380a9c2a4e556350d54Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

10-18-09 Hospital visit for seven year old kid with leukemia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: 10-18-09 Hospital visit for seven year old kid with leukemia Reply with quote

This was posted over on the GA501st forums. Anybody have an interest in attending this? We have no Rebel representation. I can't go because I have to work. Crying or Very sad

Hi there troops, We have a short notice request for a hospital visit for a seven year old kid named Brayden who is having a pretty tough time with leukemia. He has under gone one batch of chemotherapy and things were looking up when they matched him with donor. However after testing they determined the leukemia had come back and he would have to under go a second batch of chemotherapy before they could to the transplant. He's a huge Star wars and Clone wars fan. He was given box seats to a Braves game, but the day of he informed his mom that he could not go because it was the premier of the second season of Clone Wars. So they stayed home to watch the premier and after switched over and finished watching the braves game on TV.

You can read some of the stories on him here:

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/755467

http://www2.wsav.com/sav/news/local/article/many_turn_out_to_try_and_help_rincon_boy/30243/

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/755467

http://www.effinghamherald.net/news/archive/7904/

I'm still getting details from the friends and family members on when and where and will update here as I get them. Since he is such a Clone Wars fan I think having some clones and droids would be great, but having a Jedi and other OT characters would work too.

Contact Name: Karin Langdon (Brayden’s Mom)
Contact Phone Number: 912-704-2053
Contact Email:
Event Name: seven year old boy touch and go with leukemia.
Venue: Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston 1405 Clifton Road, N.E. Atlanta, GA 30322 room 3208.

Venue address: 1405 Atlanta GA

Event Start: 10-18-09
Event End:
Event Website: none
Expected number of attendees: ?
Requested number of characters: 3-7
Requested character types: Clones and droids, anyone who can make it.
Secure changing/staging area: Not determined yet
Comments: No guns and helmets off upon entering the Hospital
Referred by: Mandolorian Mercs

UPDATE

I just confirmed the visit for 5:00 pm on 10-18-09. She said that Brayden is undergoing his fourth round of chemo and so far has responded very well, with few side effects except hair loss. However the nurses had cautioned her for the possibility of worse days ahead. Today he was starting a new form of chemo that is experimental and aimed toward adults due to his form of leukemia. She is so thankful that we are coming and said that Brayden's current favorite character is Yoda, because so may people have said "May the force be with you". It has become their motto while Brayden has been in the hospital.

Have we got any Rebel legion interest?

Last edited by Funky Buns (Daphne Collier) on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to make this one. This is something that I really enjoy doing. So I'm going to try to make it out there as Leia, and I'll bring one of my 501st stormtrooper action figures that I have that I reserve for kids like this.

So far I've got Susan probably coming as a Jedi. Anyone else wanna go? I know this is such last minute, but I know this will make his day.
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this go?

I would have loved to participate in something like this, but on most Sundays I help my elderly parents.
KRK (Kris Kuipers)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

http://www.ga501st.com/?page_id=43&g2_itemId=24348
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Great job, everyone... I'm sure that was a real encouragement. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryy Jacobi wrote:
Excellent!

Great job, everyone... I'm sure that was a real encouragement. Smile
I'm telling you I am so surprised at how much energy he had. I was not expecting that at all. I work with sick kids sometimes, and I'm use to having kids that look really frail and are bedridden. This guy was practically jumping off the walls! Laughing Which in this case is really good. Laughing I hope that he is able to keep up this energy level. Having a positive outlook on things REALLY helps. I know, I've seen it happen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: