Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9d7b279c0909213346362a57ba3c087cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lego Star Wars book release 10/10 - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (3)

(3)

User Registered Confirmed
ShivanndFri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 pm
Bouri-PlwelFri Jun 26, 2009 9:54 pm
Koda VonnorFri Aug 28, 2009 4:57 pm
User Registered Confirmed
HolodocWed Jul 08, 2009 3:41 pm
mooglarMon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 pm
Sol Kar PloonWed Sep 09, 2009 3:13 am
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base XO
Freedom Base XO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like most of our events happened without a hitch.
Woodbridge was incredible....we got a warm welcome from the staff and crew and the people were piled into the store.
Lots of pictures, which I will get up tomorrow. I was actually able to pick up one of the Visual Dictionaries, and it is really a site.
we were there at the store past 4pm and the crowd just came in in droves.
Much thanks to our 501st brethern who showed up at Woodbridge
We had a Yellow Clone, a Tie Pilot, a Biker Scout, a Stormtrooper and me, a lone Jedi.
I hope the other events went well in NC, and the other Virginia locations.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Jada, please post about the NC events.
thanks

Joel Webne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, your experience sounds almost exactly like mine: A biker scout, a tie pilot, a sandtrooper, and me as a lone jedi.

It was a hoot. We kept muttering threats under our breath and trying to recruit the kids to the "light side" or the "empire." I asked one kid "do you use the force for good, or for evil?" and he said "for evil." So I said "well in that case talk to these guys" and his dad mouthed to me silently "he said evil????"
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books-A-Million was a big hit this afternoon. Smile I was the lone Jedi with 2 Biker Scouts, a Stormtrooper, Tie Pilot, Darth Vader, & Darth Revan. Smile

Here are a few pictures from this afternoon.

Group Photo at end of Event:

Trivia Contest

LFL Artist: Rich A. Molinelli

Here is the link with all the photos I have for today:

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/Holodoc72/501st%20Lego%20Event%2010-10-09/?start=0

Base Merchandise Officer 2010-2018
Base Membership Officer 2010-2018
Blue Ridge Base

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is what was reported back to me.

Yes, the Books-A-Million event went well. But the Lego store was still expecting us. DK NEVER told them we weren't coming. We are wondering if that is also the case with Fayetteville and the Regional Rep from the Carolina Garrison will be going over to the store to talk to them. It may well be that the Fayetteville store also didn't know their event was canceled. If that is the case it reflects not only badly on DK but badly on us too.

I'm very sorry to say this and be negative but DK is terrible to work with. It is my hope that both Ed Cook and Albin Johnson will bring this to Steve and Mary's attention and make sure DK doesn't do this again.

Again, sorry to be negative. Sad

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Founder - Blue Ridge Base

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures from the Raleigh event:

http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq207/carolinagarrison/Lego%20Dictionary%20Premiere%20-%20Raleigh/?albumview=slideshow

mooglar looks awfully chummy with Vader. Laughing

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we know it was cancelled Jada, nothing was said to us or the 501st right? Ken drove over 2 hours to Fayetteville to go out there to troop this. If someone knew it was cancelled, why weren't we notified to Ken didn't waste his time and gas? It seems to me that someone from the 501st knew it was cancelled because Ken reported that NONE of them showed up to the LEGO event.

Just asking the questions since I got the angry calls and complaints.

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, why didn't DK notify the Rebel Legion? When the 501st got the information from DK Fayetteville was taken off of the list.

Was that information sent to the Rebel Legion by DK or Mary Franklin?

I don't think the blame should be put on the 501st but rather where it really belongs - DK. They are the ones who did not communicate. DK failed to let Fayetteville know they were canceled.

Now I'll take the blame that I didn't pass on the information. That is definitely MY bad. It was my assumption that the information was being passed down from the top.

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, troops,

Jada is correct--while the Carolina Garrison was originally told that we had four DK/Lego events scheduled for NC, when we finally got the the e-mail from the DK liason with the final schedule (which we didn't receive until the Wednesday before the event), we then learned that yes, we were only supposed to be at TWO stores. We'd heard rumors that two of the stores MAY be cancelled, but absolutely nothing definite one way or the other until 3 days before the event; and apparently DK didn't tell the stores themselves. When our members arrived at one of the stores, they only then learned that another store in the same mall was also expecting them, and they managed to divide everyone up at the spur of the moment to make sure both stores were covered; and our members who were scheduled to be in Fayetteville were also very upset, and rightfully so.

I can't speak for what info the RL received, but the 501st was very specifically told at the beginning of the planning process that we were not to be involved with the RL characters for the appearances; that that would (and should) be taken care of by the RL. It sounds like not only did the stores not receive the notice that their appearances had been cancelled, but the RL didn't receive it either; and I agree that's a situation the RL command might want to address.

I spoke with Albin personally last night about this situation, and he is definitely gong to be addressing it with 501st command, LFL and DK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't think I was blaming anyone...especailly not the 501st. I am just trying to figure out what happened so i can go to the RL command about it. It just looked like, from what I was told that they may have known something since nobod was there when Ken showed up. So no worries...That explains the 501st position. So if I am reading this right, and correct me if I am wrong, basically it boils down to DK not notifying the RL the locations were cancelled. So, we would have never know they were cancelled. There is not allot we could have done to prevent this from happening then. If this is correct, please confirm and I will take it up.

Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please don't think I was blaming anyone...especailly not the 501st. I am just trying to figure out what happened so i can go to the RL command about it. It just looked like, from what I was told that they may have known something since nobod was there when Ken showed up. So no worries...That explains the 501st position. So if I am reading this right, and correct me if I am wrong, basically it boils down to DK not notifying the RL the locations were cancelled. So, we would have never know they were cancelled. There is not allot we could have done to prevent this from happening then. If this is correct, please confirm and I will take it up.

That's it in a nutshell, Rick. Neutral Everyone involved in the event planning here in Carolina was surprised to discover that our stores we'd been told had been cancelled had not been told themselves; and I'm sure the stores were also very disappointed when the characters they were expecting weren't there. We'd also been instructed not to contact the stores ourselves--that DK would handle everything on that end of it-- although I did make a point to go to the Charlotte area store the day before to try and make sure everything was set up.

So I would definitely encourage RL Command to address this, as Albin is planning to do so on the 501st end. If DK/LFL hear from enough people that this event had some major miscommunications, hopefully that will prevent that from happening next time there's a large-scale event such as this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that Ed and Al get together and make a conference call to LFL on this because I just got off the phone with a friend in Texas and the same thing happened there - a store that was supposedly canceled thought they were getting troopers. Luckily the CO or Squad leader got to it before it was a disaster and got troopers over there.

Never again should the RL or 501st be forced to work with someone who won't let us work directly with the local contacts.

Also, let me jump back onto my high horse once again. The t-shirts. Why did they use only the 501st logo and not the RL logo too? From my information they (DK) did not even ask to use the 501st logo.

In the end, smiles were put on children's faces and that is the MOST important part but the handling of this event . . . poodoo.

edit:

Sorry, have to continue my rant.

The flipping t-shirt says Fayetteville, NC. Bang Head

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What t-shirts????

Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

It was never communicated that participants were supposed to go to a website to order a free shirt for the event?

One thing I did was look at the High-Profile/Cross Base events forum and wondered why there wasn't an info thread on there for the dissemination of information like this and a master list of the events.

Again, I'd like to see Ed and Albin put their head's together and get all the issues that happened with this event down on paper and then do a joint call to LFL.

Feelings are hurt, images soiled and time spent in waste. So unnecessary.

Sad

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base XO
Freedom Base XO

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with Jada on this.
There seemed to be a VERY LARGE ball dropped on the part of DK publishing with regards to communications.
If an event was cancelled then it should have been broadcasted through both Legions.
It is unacceptable for anyone to have to drive so far out of their way after calling to find out if the event was going on and being told it was and then showing up and another individual saying that he has no idea what is going on.
I think this needs to be a concerted effort on the part of both Legions to find out where the comm error was and make sure that this never happens again.

Joel Webne
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I just said to Cookie, with every post, PM and phone call this gets deeper and deeper in "it" with DK.

T-shirts - apparently DK decided it was ok to make shirts only for the 501st and use their logo without approval scratch that, they went directly to Albin on it. So, they ask the Rebel Legion to come to the event but don't include the Rebel Legion in on the t-shirt?

Please don't read this as I'm mad at the 501st for getting a t-shirt. The t-shirt is just another thing that wasn't handled well by DK. I used to organize events for a living and when I see shoddy administration, communication and organization.

I also want to apologize that I'm pontificating so much about this. It just is really grinding my gears because good people like Ken put effort into this and they shouldn't have had to walk away from the experience feeling let down.

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: