Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b79d90a6ecaf8be94ce6aa72c7b3df3bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Custom lightsaber parts checklist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Custom lightsaber parts checklist Reply with quote

Does such a thing exist?

I am looking for a comprehensive list that details every last part needed to build a lightsaber (with sound&light) starting from nothing.

I've seen pictures in tutorial of everything gathered in one place, but nowhere does it list down all parts.

thanks
Yan Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being that you're talking about a *custom* lightsaber. the parts will vary depending on how the saber will look like. So there is no definitive answer to that question.

Also, what you want the lights to be (plasma? EL? LED array? power LED?) and the sound board you whish to use will vary greatly. The ammount of machinework you want to do, etc.

Custom lightsabers are... custom. no part list will exist on custom works because no two are the same.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out The Custom Saber Shop forums. There is lots of info about building custom lightsabers with different screw together parts that you can use for your own design.

There are also various tutorials there for building sabers and doing the electronics.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com

This link is posted in numerous threads here in this section.

If you sign up there (it's a public forum, so you can read without being registered), please introduce yourself, then start doing some reading. The questions you will likely have will probably have been answered already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Custom Saber Shop forum is a great site. I've read things that have made me want to build a saber with a Crystal Focus board by Erv.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCSS is the best place to learn about building custom and semi-custom lightsabers using the parts offered in the shop there. I have several topics tere myself that show you how to use most of the parts they offer. And like Loreen said, you'll want to read as much as you can before you start asking questions....some of the lder memebers are rather touchy about people not doing thier own homework.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay-gon Jinn wrote:
some of the lder memebers are rather touchy about people not doing thier own homework.

I think that goes for most forums, more or less .... More so, in this hobby.

I guess that I could be one of those guys. It really annoys me when newbies create topics like "I need a new (insert prop/costume here), it needs to cost a fraction of what is possible, be really well made, I need it yesterday and I want other people to do it for me! HEEELP!". Arrrgh!
maverick ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate being pointed in the right direction. thanks.

What I don't appreciate is being warned or scolded by jaded older members about not doing my own homework. I mean, come on. Get over yourselves.
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick wrote:
I appreciate being pointed in the right direction. thanks.

What I don't appreciate is being warned or scolded by jaded older members about not doing my own homework. I mean, come on. Get over yourselves.

Not to jump on you, so please take this as friendly advice: those "jaded older members" are, very frequently, tired of seeing and answering the same questions 10 times a week, because those asking didn't bother to do even a BASIC search, and read threads which are commonly stickied to the top of the page as "really good info for noob costumers/saber builders/whatever to read through before asking anything". I've seen it many times on TCSS, among other places - someone comes in and blows right past the FAQ sticky threads to ask a question (or five) answered in said FAQ. That, and like Darth Lars mentioned, they'd like someone to volunteer to do all the work for them at an unrealistically-low price by next Tuesday at the latest - again, often because they blew right past the information which would have told them those would be unrealistic expectations (except the whole "volunteer to drop anything you might be working on and do it for me" thing, which they should already know is just rude, in most cases, IMO).

When you see the same sort of thing over and over and over and over and over again, it gets old. That's all that's about, really.

Jedi Loreen's absolutely right, though - TCSS is probably your best bet for figuring out how to piece together a custom saber. You would be well-served by sitting down and thinking about what you want to do before your first post there - even before you start reading on the forums, which should ALSO precede a first post:

Are you going to want a belt-hanger hilt (much cheaper and easier, but not nearly as cool) or will you want electronic components?

If you want electronics, what kind? Just light? Just sound? Both? A duelable blade (something which can stand up to being whacked against another saber, that is)?

Will you be replacing batteries (alkalines, primary-lithiums, rechargables of some kind?), or plugging the saber into the wall to recharge fixed internal batteries?

Do you want a motion-sensing board to change sound pitch when you move the blade? Something capable of producing other effects, like Force-push or blaster-bolt-deflection (be prepared to spend some pretty big bucks, in these cases)?

If you're willing (and able) to spend some money and time on it, you can have a lightsaber which does nearly everything but cut through a steel blast-door or deflect bullets - there are some FANTASTIC electronics packages out there for saber builders, Erv's being one of the best IMO. At the other end of the spectrum, even if you can't spend a lot of money, it's still quite possible to make a spectacular-looking belt-hanger hilt.

Good luck to you, and have fun learning what's possible out there!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to pop in and say I have a saber with the crystal focus core 4.0 and parts from the CSS and I love this thing as much as a Jedi can.

So yes it's a good place to look
maycol ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess i have to run to CSS too if i wanna be a full jedi one day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: