About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=422bf9a7d520df2e4626e4ed019ed5bdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Alliance Special Forces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A'den Kyramud ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Alliance Special Forces Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Has anyone ever done one of these guys?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:ASFsoldiers.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rebel_Infiltrator.PNG

I tried a search, and that really didnt help much (only distracted me looking at a million other awesome things! The joys of being a wide-eyed noob! Razz )

Thanks!
cheers
A'den
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Spec Force Infiltrators from front cover and pages of the D6 RPG rule book by WEG on Rebel Special Forces

There was a net guide expansion for it here

Kristian "Domino" Goree
Wampa 9
Hoth Base
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it talked it about? Yes. Accomplished? No. I have never seen anyone get it done in the last 7 years.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here for a second: Many, many costumes in the RL and even 501st get confused by members of the general public. TXs and TIE pilots are routinely confused for Vader, etc. Heck, even a lot of non fans and general public don't recognize RFTs and ERTs.

Do you really want to pour time and money into a costume that only 10% or the fan population will recognize and maybe 1% of the GP recognize? Do you realize that you will spend more time educating ... well, everyone who sees you what character you are, and where you fit into the SW universe? Or would you rather be instantly recognized as one of the "Good Gguys" vs. a Power Ranger, or Mortal Kombat character, or....??? Confused

IMVHO, you would be far better off spending your time and money on a recognizeable kit like a RFT or ERT... unless this is your 3rd or 4th costume.

Sorry for raining on your parade, but if you're new to this, you might really, really want to consider doing a good entry level costume. There is NOTHING better than the RFT for that. It's relatively cheap, only requires basic sewing skills, almost zero armor skills (especially if you get a good quality helmet) , and you could be trooping in less than a month with a fully approved RL canon formal costume.

This you mentioned one will require countless hours and dollars in vaccuforming the helmet, facepiece, greeblies and other armor bits, plus manufacturing the pads. If done right, with hundreds of hours and probably thousands of dollars spent in making molds, bucks and trials, you might get it right.

Or you could end up looking like the Batman wannabe wearing hockey pads.

Again, sorry to rain on your parade a bit, but I've seen a lot of "wide eyed n00bs" over the years who thought about doing overly complex obscure costumes only to run smack dab into this little thing I'll call reality. It sucks, but this stuff ain't cheap, easy, and takes TONS of effort to get something done accurately.

Just to give you a small idea of how much goes into making something like you're considering, first check out Studiocreations.com. Read all of the links on the top left about building a vac table, molds and such. Then take a peek at some WIP threads that show just how much goes into making armor or helmets.

And then, once you've gone through all of that, and made the costume, then you need to get that costume added to the costume standards.

Or you can save yourself hundreds or thousands of dollars and man-hours and do a Rebel Fleet Trooper, get approved and get out there trooping and brining smiles to kid's faces and maybe raising money for charity.

Your choice. But if you do choose to go RFT or ERT, you'll have gobs of help getting those done. Cool

Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize Bill's post, it's usually more effective to do a movie costume for your official Rebel Legion membership and then do the EU costumes afterwards.

The charter specifies that if you are a new member, you need to submit a Formal canon (movie or well-documented EU) costume for your first costume.

There are a lot of very cool costumes in the SW universe, but the general public really only recognizes the most common movie costumes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bill:

I see what you mean about the general public and agree...

BUT, I think i should have stated myself more clearly about being a noob, I meant as far as Rebels are concerned. I'm not a noob in the Star Wars costuming world (official mando merc), so I'm not worried about time/skill/money on this build. I can do it, I just wondered if anyone had done it before.

Your first point though, is well taken and I see that it would be better for me to do a more recoganized costume (NOT a fleet trooper!!! no armour!!! yipes!!! Razz ) before doing the really sweet lookin one that no one knows. Mr. Green

I'm still in the bag for this one though... Wink
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to do an RFT, there's always the Endor Commando.

I have complete soft helmets for sale (shameless plug Wink ) which are hard to find.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad you took it in the manner it was intended. Cool I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, but since you've been around a bit, you have no doubt seen countless posts by very excited new folks who think this stuff is easy...or cheap... or quick... Laughing I know I have.

I think once upon a time I saw a poster say something like, "you can choose 2 of the three options, but not all three: Quick. Cheap. Accurate.

If you go quick and accurate, it will cost you.
If you go cheap and quick, it will NOT be accurate.
If you want accurate and cheap, it will absolutely NOT be quick.

Heh, it's still true today.

Now for options for you, if you like armor, then I can also recommend a clone, or a tusken. Both are RL approved, and a whole lot of fun (I've done both.) I'm also building a ERT, which is rewarding and fun --and comfortable. The clone... let's just say mobility is traded for instant recognition by the kids.

It's all trade-offs. But know we'll help you in any way we can, whatever route you want to go, as best we can.

Q (Markus Zimmerman)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill is a wise man.

If you're looking for armor, you could try a clone (though these are also very complex to put together for a first "full armor costume").

There's also the option of doing a Jedi General, which has both armor and ease of mobility, and is very recognized.

I personally like pilots, myself. Pilot
Phoenix 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: