Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6c4c5d8639e0e1e9000f304e15faddabMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blasted Boots.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Blasted Boots. Reply with quote

I hate to start a new topic but I have been scowering the other topics and could not find any items relating to Han boots.
That said, does anyone know of a decent, moderately priced Boot that can be used as a Han boot?

I have heard Tall riding boots with a cut top (to make them straight) will work, but I can't find any good equestrian stores online with decent priced boots.
I have checked on German Officer Tall Parade boots, but again, the surplus is all dried up. However there are plenty of Jack Boots for you pilots out there!
I know about Motorcowboy and pimpin shoes (CABshoes) but those boots are between $350-400. (I must add that the Motorcowboy Han boots do look great!)

I have purchased a pair of zip-up pleather (yuck) boots (911-costumes) that were fairly in-expensive, about 30.00 bucks, that should work for the costume until I find a good pair. I dont mind spending $150.00 to 200.00 but 400.00 is quite a bit.
Soooo, any ideas, good resources, awsome links!?!?!?
Thanks again!

"Never tell me the odds."
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...I have to say that I don't know if these guys sell/ship over the internet, but I ran through their store real quick the other day to grab some pant straps for my current Han outfit and I ran through the boot section and it looks like they have stuff that'll work:
http://www.ssaddle.com/boots_western_minnesota.htm

what do you mean by moderatly priced though?
I check the bay of e every couple of days, but I'm really not in a hurry. I kinda wish my foot were one size smaller, I've seen a number of great looking boots, but sized 9.5 (sigh)

I also know that http://www.bootbarn.com/ has a pretty good selection, but again, I haven't looked at anything specifically for Han in thar.
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well already that is mega helpfull! 160.00 is moderatly priced for a pair of real leather tall boots! The "DevonAire Mens Dress Hunt boot" is pretty darn close to a Han boot.

Now the next question... could a shoemaker or leather craftsman cut the top straight?

I guess i could try it myself, but why not go pro if if the price is not rediculous! I will keep you all posted on what addtional info I find out, great find!!!

Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good boot cobbler do the cutting and sewing. They have the heavy duty equipment to do the sewing and it is worth it to have this done professionally. Your boots are at least as important as the majority of the costume as well as good boots are better for your feet and will last longer. I bought some cheap boots and they hurt my feet and I need to replace them. If you end up doing lots of events in costume, you will appreciate the comfort a good pair of boots gives you.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more! My years in the Army and law enforcement have really made me appreciate a good pair of boots!

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep an eye out for good boots on ebay ..... sometimes you can get a good steal! I got my boots from ebay "Knobelbecker Jack boots" a while back, and I love em.

Knobelbecher boots

german Jack boots

German officer boots

Things to look out for... make sure they are real leather, and they are the "Tall" Jack boots.

GL

Bob

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This group is out of the Pittsburgh, PA area.
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/German-WW2/Field-Gear-Boots.html
(scroll to the bottom for the boots)
They don't have a brick and mortar store, just a warehouse, but if you call ahead they can arrange for you to try on the boots in the warehouse and buy them there(of course they can also ship them to you). I am heading that way next week and plan to stop in to try on a couple of pairs of boots. Their prices are great and I will let you know what I find out about the quality/sizing after I make it up there.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the lingo alone has been such an interesting experience it could have it's own tutorial! "How to search for costume pieces on the internet"
From the boots to the pants, blasters and droid callers. I think that has been the most fun of this whole process.

I have been hunting on eBay, but none of the boots are my size, or they are 400.00 bucks. I will keep up the good fight though...

I must say that getting a pair of moderately priced tall dress riding boots and cutting the top (professionally) appears to be the most cost effective way to get some Han boots.

I really do appreciate all the feedback! Keep it up Rebels!

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi_Boyer wrote:
They don't have a brick and mortar store, just a warehouse, but if you call ahead they can arrange for you to try on the boots in the warehouse and buy them there(of course they can also ship them to you). I am heading that way next week and plan to stop in to try on a couple of pairs of boots. Their prices are great and I will let you know what I find out about the quality/sizing after I make it up there.

My only fear about those boots is they are not tall enough for Han boots.

Bob
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi_Boyer wrote:

I have been in recent communication with them. I was about to buy a pair of thier boots, but they do not appear tall enough and the calf portion does not appear to be narrow enough. (They sent me pics of the boots i was going to buy, I will try to post some time) They do have great prices and I was really hoping that they would be the ones, but sadly, I must say, they are not... The search continues...

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of German Officer Boots off of Ebay for $75 or so. They were around my size, 10 1/2. They ended up being more off then i thought. I just took them to a very good local Cobbler and had him stretch the heck out of them untill they were close enough and then added Zippers. In the end they cost me around $150 They fit great. Best costume investment I ever made.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, someone mentioned getting Russian Military riding boots. I've found:
http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/Category_44_Boots.html
they had a posting on Ebay for about $100 and the pic looked really good...but when I went to their site, I didn't see the same one...don't really have time to look into it right now but I wanted to throw it out there.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is patience....

If you want something right away, you will end up with something that just isnt right.

Take your time, and do a search a day, and eventually you WILL find the right pair of Tall boots. Dont give up... keep at it. It took me 1 year to find my droid callers, almost a year for my replacement boots. Take your time and do it right and you wont have to do it again.

Bob
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bob, are you sure not really Obi-Wan under that fur??!! Very true statement. I have my temporary boots from 911costumes, which should be fine for formal requirements (Leather like, knee high, no rubber!). So I can wait until the right pair presents itself, or i save the 400 bones/credits/bucks and get the supernice pair from motorcowboy. Time will tell....

I have found some great boots on ebay, but finding them in my size is the only issue! Apparently, not that many German soldiers are a size 9! Haha

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerftheherder wrote:
Wow Bob, are you sure not really Obi-Wan under that fur??!!

Well I did debate about making a Wookiee jedi... full robes... etc. I just think I am hot enough as it is.... so we scrapped the idea.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: