About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e56c303eda9afecee85fd33d0eb07c57Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Base Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said , Herm.

We are here because of the 501st. It in itself is not at all the reason for any issues. Unfortunately, personalities in large groups sometimes dont get along, though I would hope people could work around that instead of holding grudges forever.
HITMAN ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the transformers also.

I hope those select few can work out the differences. I personally don't know who they are, but if anyone here does know, try to reach out to them.
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
well said , Herm.

We are here because of the 501st. It in itself is not at all the reason for any issues. Unfortunately, personalities in large groups sometimes dont get along, though I would hope people could work around that instead of holding grudges forever.

Just to add my two cents... its not the 501st Legion as a whole. We all know that. Our sister group is a great organization and we have mutual respect.

Its a selected few (and this is same with any organization) that choose to have problems with another group. Its people as individuals... its people in general...its people in real life. Not everyone gets along. But as a whole there is a mutual respect... that you have to account for. Its only a selective few that choose another path and stir the pot Wink

Just note that.. and realize thats really what it is. Afterall we all love the same thing costuming and the Star Wars movies Wink We are just BIG fans.

HITMAN ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if it's only a few people then perhaps the relationship is stronger than what it seems to be. I asked the question because that is not the impression I have, but hey, I could be wrong.

Good to know there are only a few, as you mentioned, every organization has them.
JRHermle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to our topic of suggestions, I see a lot of greenscreen and photoshop and printers and laptops... and what happens when the camera dies, or the paper runs out or the photoshop expert can't make it. As cool as that stuff is, let me tell you from my experience at Disney:

"the less parts, the better!"

Simplicity (besides being a pattern maker) is the key!

I've noticed our booths are props, and flyers, and props, and helmets, and mannequins. But what is the point? What are we "selling" to the conventioneers? Let's do what Disney does: sell the experience. How many people write Disney about "that ride was awesome!" No, they write about the service, the people. So, lets focus on that. Let's make the Cons about entertaining the kids in all of us. If the wanderers are interested in what we're doing or the visability of us having fun, then they'll want to ask "how do I join?"

Swag: not just for those passing by. Let's make it a game. If you can tell me the padawan of Anakin in the Clone Wars, then you get a button. Or collect for Ronald McDonald House and a donation gets you swag. Give a penny or a dollar and I'll reach in the bag and give you the first thing I grab. Right there, it shows what we can do for charities.

Display: The props are cool... but I couldn't make that. A lot of people think that. And a step up from the props are the costumes. But if we have interesting displays that get people to stop for a pic, we can then engage them in conversation. There were at least half a dozen times at FX when Jedi Mickey's R5 droid stopped people to want to take a pic with it. And since you've stopped, let's talk about the group. That's why charities frequent traffic lights, because you've already stopped. I'm not stopping for a green piece of poster hung on a pole, I want something that makes my friends go "wow! That was in which row?"

And I'd love to have a video cycling over and over. Screw the movies. We've seen 'em! Let's start showing video of our events, and let's spread this across the RL. I'm not talking about the whole event, but 20 seconds of this, 20 seconds of that, and after that: RL recruitment promos... 30 second or so of scenes that look like an Army commercial. We've got talented people all over the RL and here in state.
"Jedi Master Billy Mays here. Have you ever had your best friend frozen in Carbonite and used by a Hutt as decoration? Does your Wookie seem sad that his best friend is gone? Use Boushh's Carbo-NOT! The carbonite remover. It even removes that carbon scoring from droids."

I'm flinging everything to see what sticks... Wink

Away from the Cons: We need to start looking for options in our area. MOSI, KSC, any planetarium or place where you look and go "that place could put an ad on during Clone Wars and kids would be interested."

OK. Pros? Cons?

Q (Markus Zimmerman)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I gotta say is... "bridge the gap" Cool

A lot of our events are tag-on to 501st events. They're great, but we should get some of our own going, too. Like Herm mentioned.

I am always a bigger fan of small, spontaneous troops. Just going down to the pub, or walking around the mall, maybe going to Old Town or some such. Something that doesn't require organizing or coordination, and if people don't show it's still fun.
Phoenix 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tubachris85x ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HITMAN ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herm,

You have many great ideas, most of them should not be hard to execute. You mentioned a promo movie. You could bring in a television if you want, or play a DVD straight from a laptop computer, it would be easier to carry.

I have never really been to these events, but doesn’t the RL have their own table? If not, you can have your own area, perhaps separate from the 501 booth to express your individuality.

Your swag game is a great idea also. We did a troop in Bartow for the United Way that had tons of these games. Was anyone there? It was my first troop in armor, so I was still getting to know everyone, I know Angelo was there. You could duplicate some of those games at a cheap cost and little effort, such as pin the tail on the Bantha, Star Wars trivia and so on.
Bluegrrl ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG - I misread promo as something entirely different.

Guess that shows where my mind is!
HITMAN ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you think it was MOMO?
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games for swag is indeed a great idea. Smile
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go further with the games for swag, you could have one of those spin the wheel things for prizes.

But instead of an instant prize you still have to answer a question. The pie pieces of the wheel could correspond to the different films and each question would be representative of that film.

Then have a box in the back where you can keep the prize you won or trade it for what was in the box! Talk about interactive. Cool
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILF_Viper wrote:
To go further with the games for swag, you could have one of those spin the wheel things for prizes.

But instead of an instant prize you still have to answer a question. The pie pieces of the wheel could correspond to the different films and each question would be representative of that film.

Then have a box in the back where you can keep the prize you won or trade it for what was in the box! Talk about interactive. Cool

thats a way to go.. a wheel with the colors from the trvial pursuit SW traivia game. then pick a card from the catagory that the color matches and win a prize lol
HITMAN ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea on a game

“Destroy the Death Star”

Get a large round shape (plastic, wood, etc..) and make it look like the Death Star.

Make a large hole in the center of it.

Give the kids a tennis ball, or a large plastic ball of some sort. Have them through the ball through the hole in the Death Star. This is similar to the games you find on the boardwalk at carnivals, just Star Wars themed.
Q (Markus Zimmerman)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... we could have a bunch of rebels playing SW Trivial Pursuit Laughing

I think one awesome prop for the booth would be a Djerak board. Maybe after some costumes I'll get working on it.
Phoenix 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: