Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e5dbcd91c1f835d44fb7c3366f601dc6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The definative Shaak Ti Apron Pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanita ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: The definative Shaak Ti Apron Pattern Reply with quote

Some time ago, I asked if anyone had a pattern for Shaak Ti's apron.
Being unable to find a really accurate one, I decided to draft one of my own.
For reference, I used several detailed photos from the padawan's guide site, and from a full page plate in "Dressing a Galaxy".

Here is the end result:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3578903807_58d58c5785_b.jpg
The apron in its entirety- unfortunately flickr has butchered the sizing on this image- the original was 32" long!

The following four images are actual size- to use them, print them out as 8x10 photos and piece them together. Again, Flickr has butchered the sizing, but they should work when printed as 8x10's.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/3578903841_47f2392b5f_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/3578903835_687604ff11_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3578903833_2d5c48b9c5_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3578903831_e9c628719a_b.jpg

You will notice a few of the decorative elements are illustrated as dashed lines, especially on the bottom-most segment- for leatherworkers, these areas indicate parts of the design made with stamping tools, as opposed to being cut with a swivel knife.

Soon, I will produce more detailed instructions for those who wish to attempt this project in leather, including some info on dye and colour.

Let me know what you guys think of this!
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update here- I printed out the pictures on flickr (not my higher resolution originals) using landscape orientation and the 8x10 photo setting on my parent's printer and it worked megnificently, a perfect match for the size of my original, hand drawn apron piece. No problems at all getting the parts to line up.

The bottom two panels were drawn entirely by hand, the other three were done in photoshop after I scanned the first two in. Doing up the remaining three apron segments was actually challenging work, not a simple cut and paste job. Many parts of the design had to be tweaked and adjusted by hand to insure everything lined up properly. After adding the 1/4" borders around the edge, I had to go back in and re-align some parts of the design, making subtle shifts so everything fit with no gaps or mistakes.
I estimate that I spent about 3 hours hand drawing parts of the pattern and another 2-3 hours in photoshop piecing everything together and cleaning things up. Digital art is most assuredly not a "Two clicks and you're done" proposition, which some folks sadly think it is.

I've posted this pattern here, and I will be posting it also on the Star Wars costuming and props board, and sending copies to padawansguide.com as well, so that other fans who want to do this costume will have as accurate a resource as possible. Why am I giving this away? Well, for one I don't know if I could sell it without The Maker coming after me, seeing how it's based off of a copyrighted design. Second, posting this pattern on the sites where I have learned so much over the years is a way of giving back to the costuming community.

It goes without saying that I'm offering this to fans for personal use only- if some leathercrafter out there wants to use my pattern when making aprons to sell, that's a whole other ball of wax.
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive...most impressive Wink

Very nice work! You give me inspiration for working on the apron and bracers for my Luminara costume Smile
AMP (Tony Perez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are awesome. Great practice to hone the carving & stamping skills.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys like:)
Before carving on a three foot long piece of good leather, I'm going to take part of the uppermost segment of the pattern and use it as a template for a practice piece. I'll be doing that one segment for practice before tackling the big one. If it turns out well, great. If not, then I will cut out another practice piece and start again. I really want my apron to turn out well- it is no word of a lie when I say I want mine to be one of the best fan-made replicas in existance.

Last night at work I was thinking about the official standards for Shaak Ti's costume- currently we don't have a set. I would be glad to help write them if that is needed.
Personally, if it were me deciding what gets approved and what doesn't, I would specify leather as the "gold standard", as the screen-worn costume piece was made of leather. However, I would also allow fabric- a skillful fabric painted piece might look very nice, and I imagine a quilted/piecework rendition, or embroidery/cross stitch would look amazing too, if well done.
AMP (Tony Perez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done any carving or stamping before? I have a tutorial from Tandy's leather I can share with you.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tooling for the last few months- Right before christmas I bought my first beginner's kit- now I have about 41 stamping tools and a whole pile of other leatherworking kit, not to mention a stash of leather- a single shoulder, a double shoulder in a different weight, and a whole side I bought on sale:)
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling! I made my own Jedi belt and pouches and one tool just seems to lead to another. Smile

Your focus determines who you are.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added even more tools to the list since I wrote that:) 5, I believe.

Last night I whipped out my double shoulder, which is 3-4 oz weight, and cut my apron out of the thinner part of the stuff. I took a stitching groover and cut the 1/4" border around the sides and bottom of the piece, next step will be to transfer the pattern markings. That part will be absolute murder, since the design is so complex. I'm sure it will take me a couple of hours just to trace everything.

Tandy is having a sale on leather dye this month, so I suggest everyone who needs any, stock up. Four bottles for $19 cdn Smile I got Java brown, timber brown, range tan, and canyon tan for this project, as well as a bottle of cova colour light brown paint.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Amanitas. Now I just need someone to do the same for the Luminara apron and guantlets and I will be set to start on mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall somebody saying they had a life-size Luminara pattern somewhere, they might have posted in the Luminara thread about that.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the thread that I found does not have the apron line drawing. I don't know if there is another thread..... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall somebody there saying they had the pattern- if that is the case, then PM'ing them might help.

As for progress on my apron, I've begun transferring the designs from the paper pattern onto the leather, using an old ballpoint pen as a stylus. I'll post some pics when I finish that part of the process. I plan to regularly update this thread with progress pics and notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: