Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9cd61a63b07327add7f02c5e22a068a5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ki-Adi Mundi saber blanks! Non-Profit Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maycol ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked

way cool photos, and nice looking sabers
TridCloudwalker (Aaron A. Chernak)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Keep your eyes peeled for my next run. I'll be doing either an Anakin AotC or a Mace AotC/RotS.
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOTC Anakin...

Add me me the instant that list even goes up,. I'm so on that one.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New updates!

First up, bad news: None of the guys my machinist knows who has a sandblasting set up wants to take the job. Apparently, aluminum doesn't get consistant finish results, and none of them want the headache. Personally, I've had a lot of experience bead blasting both cast and extruded aluminum, and never had problems with inconsistancy. Granted the machine I used was a giant industrial one used to blast streetlight poles, so maybe they're different. I don't know.

I'll call around to a few local places on Monday and see if I can get any price quotes. Equally, I believe RussRep (at the RPF) has the ability to blast these if I'm not mistaken. I won't speak for him, so I'll let him chime in if he's able and available to do that, and perhaps those of you who'd like a blasted finish on your bodies can send them to him.

Now for the good news, progress pics!

All repairs have been finished on the bodies that needed replacement tops. Just a subtle rounded edge on one of the rings is needed to complete the accurate tops.

Here are all the two piece bodies:

And all the one piece bodies:

Here they are side to side (one piece on left, two piece to your right:

Here's a disassembled two piece:

Two pieces and one pieces are completely identical, even on the inside:
Two piece:

One piece:

Here's another bit o' good news: The emitter pieces have been started!

Here are two stacked on top of a body:

And here I've added a spacer to mock up what this will roughly look like with the collar piece on and the emitter cap:

Today he'll be machining all the collar pieces that hold the emitter together. It's a very simple piece and should be done within the day. Then tomorrow he's going to either start pommel pieces or do up the 65 or so emitter caps with both their scribed circles and 3/4" blade holes. After those ar all done, all he has to do is the mill work on the bodies to add the channels, threaded knob & screw holes, and the recess for the control box to sit in. Then they're done! We're in the home stretch now.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have pics tomorrow or Wednesday.

All the emitter pieces are done, and the pommels have been started. The final step, which is milling the channels and knob holes into the body will start by Friday, and shouldn't take more than a couple days.. So there's a chance these could be ready in time for DragonCon, but it'll be cutting really really close. Things would have been a little further along, but two problems arose. First the special made tools the machinist ordered to put the grooves in the emitter collar ended up shattering, so he had to order a new set and got them the other day. Then the machinis ended up in the hospital over the weekend with some very very bad kidney stones. He passed the big one and feels the little one working its way out, so he should be back to a hundred percent in a day or two.

He would also like to apologize to everyone for this run taking so long. This is something completely new to him (lightsabers), and it's been a learning curve (for both of us). He assures everyone that the next run won't take nearly as long to complete, and he appreciates everyone's patience.

I'm gearing up for shipping. I have the tape and the bubble wrap, and the flat rate shipping boxes I ordered from the post office should arrive in the next day or two. I'm just waiting for my printer to get back from being repaired, and I'll start running off the shipping labels from PayPal. My hope is to throw these babies into boxes the second I bring them home from the shop and get them out the next day.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, as promised, here are some pictures!

Here are a whole bunch of emitter collars:

Here's an unfinished one up close. The top still needs to be lathed away, leaving a threaded collar for the emotter cap to screw into:

And the same one with the two lower emitter rings slipped on:

But first, he needs to do some math to figure out how to program the correct threading into the machine:

Into the machine it goes:

And out pops a finished collar(with the two bottom emitter rings slipped on):

And another one will get screwed ontop (inner threading isn't finished, so it's just sitting on top):

And here it is stacked onto the body (still awaiting final threading):

Also, here are the tubes of control boxes. I think there are about 50 of them in there:

I'll try to get some more shots this weekend of pommel progress (they'll hopefully be done by then) and possibly some final body work. Not much longer now!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have two bits of crappy news:

First, the blasting didn't work. It looks like crap. It looks like the body was sprayed with grey primer. I don't know what their blasting medium was, but it doesn't work on these bodies. However, I can get these silver powder coated, which will look nice, but you're honestly better off just spraypainting it yourself for free. After all, the screen used ones were just spray painted resin. I believe I've heard that they used Krylon, but I could be misremembering.

Second bit of crappy news is that I finally got the total back from the machinist for all the extra work/material he had to do to fix the inaccurate rings. It ended up being a lot more than was initially thought. I'm going to have to pay an extra $900 out of my own pocket. Granted, this is crappy news for me, not all of you. I gave everyone a price for these and I'm sticking with that.

Now, there are some extra sabers in this run. The machinist lost count while he was making bodies and spun out some additional ones. So if anyone knows of anyone who might like to get in on this run, it's not too late. Any additional ones I can sell will help bring down the $900 I need to pay out of my own pocket. So please send anyone my way you think would like one.

Crappy stuff aside, I do have some cool photo updates.

First off, here's the bad blast job alone and compared next to a normal body. It's absolutely unacceptable:

Here are all the emitter caps. He's finishing up the inner threading on them right now:

Here are the two types up close, deactivated (closed) and activated (open):

Here is a deactivated top compared next to the top of my Anakin Starkiller Ultimate OWK TPM saber, which of course has a real steel rod in it, whereas mine will just be mimicking it:

Here's one put together alone and compared next to the OWK:

Top view with an activated emitter and a shot looking through:

And some random interesting shots:

That's all the shots for now. The machinist says he'll be starting the pommels tonight before he leaves, so he can let them run all day tomorrow. He needs to order a special attachment for his milling machine in order to make the channels and control box recess in the bodies, unless he comes up with a fancy way to do it by hand, but either way, these won't be done in time for DragonCon I don't think. I apologise for anyone who was hoping to take these along. It's one thing to have all the seperate pieces of the saber blueprinted, but we've found that modifications often had to be made in able to make the piecessit flush with each other. He had to program in undercuts and chamfers that weren't on the blueprints, which is why a lot of these steps take longer than initially figured. It's all internal engineering stuff that keeps the saber together. None of it effects the outer accuracy.
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCW,

You may not be aware, but as an organization, we are not allowed to sell merchandise on the public forums. This should have been mentioned to you much earlier in this thread, and I apologize for the oversight.

As a public forum, the Jedi forum welcomes all threads dealing with costume projects and prop construction, but the author is asked to refrain from any mention of selling, prices, ordering, etc...

I understand you are cross posting these updates on several other forums. I also would hazard a guess, given the proximate date of your forum membership, that you joined the Rebel Legion Forums primarilly for the purpose of marketing these sabers.

Please do continue to post updates on the construction process, but please refrain from any further mention of sales, ordering, or pricing.

Thanks very much.

~ Bill Costigan
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Bill. Didn't realize it went against protocall here. It's a non-profit run, but I shant bring up sales anymore. Just updates on progress, and the progress of future sabers. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I joined this site because I actually do want to join the legion. I just need to get some boots first before my Jedi costume is complete. I'm sure rubber ones don't meet the standard here.

By the way, I followed your thread a while back when you were building your costume. Honestly, one of the top three out there. I love it!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have shots of the powder coated sabers yet, as they're still sitting over at the paint shop, but I should have pics of those next update, which will probably be on friday or saturday.

In the mean time, feast your eyes on these:

First off, here's a shot of a saber with a deactivated emitter on it. I realized I forgot to get a shot of this last time:

Next up, are a bunch of pommel pieces. They're all done except for the little ring of holes that still need to be milled into the very bottom (and the little protruding nub will be ground off):

An assortment of random parts waiting to be packed up:

And some beauty shots of everything so far put together:

More to come in a couple days.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pommels are completely done now, and the knobs have been started.

Final milling work being done on pommels:

All done:

On a body:

Here's the brass stock for the brass knobs:

And for fun:

The knobs should be done in a couple days, and the machinist is waiting on a new indexer to arrive so he can mill the channels into the bodies, and then that's it.
Active Legion Member

Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TridCloudwalker wrote:

How does the machine know where to drill the six dimples? I assume it's somehow automated? I have seen a machinist drill 12 holes around the clock-points manually with an indexing table, but I've never seen it automated.

Pretty cool.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He programmed a 3-D model into the machine's computer, and the arm comes down automatically in the correct places and drills a small pilot hole, then the correct sized hole, then a small chamfer around the edges to deburr it. I tried taking some video with my phone, but you can't see anything through the plexi-screen while all the coolant is splashing about. An indexer will be used to put in all the channels, knob holes, and control box recess.

Okay, finally got the samples back from the powder coater. Somehow he messed up the order and painted one semi-gloss silver and the other semi-gloss black instead of matte silver. :rolleyes Anyway, you can get an idea of the finish. It's even and strong, and looks like the finish in the Visual Dictionary photo. The first couple shots are under fluorescent lights in the pizza shop the machinist met me in. The rest of them are under standard energy saver bulbs in my bedroom. I've included the emitter from my Qui-Gon saber on it for contrast. Refer to the thread at The RPF for further info.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long for an update.

Edited by Moderator: Info regarding cost of services (powdercoating) deleted.

(Please refer to the thread at The RPF for powder coating info - TCW)

Here are some comparison shots of a naked saber next to a powder coated one, and also with one in black for fun. The lights in the shop kind of washed out the look of the powder coat, but I assure you, it looks just like the finish in the VD photo.

Next some saber progress:

The machinist finally got his indexer and all the appropriate chucks and bits. The brass knobs are machined and threaded. He just needs to cut the little nubs off the faces. The larger silver knobs will be finished within the next few days, as well as the final mill work on the bodies.

Last edited by TridCloudwalker (Aaron A. Chernak) on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rebel Legion publically accessible forums may not be used to sell merchandise, regardless of the for-profit or non-profit status of the project.

In the Jedi forums we welcome project progress photos and descriptions related to Jedi costumes and props, but in order to sell merchandise you need to post in the "For Sale / Trade" forums, which is a members-only area.

These rules are in place at the bequest of LucasFilms.

Due to the excellent detailed pictures and progress description for this project, some leeway has been allowed, but the thread author has been asked previously to refrain from including mention of prices, ordering, or for-sale info.

Please follow forum rules for publically accessible forums.

I realize it is easy and convenient to cross-post and cut-paste posts from one forum to another, but further oversights in this area will result in editing and locking.

Thanks for understanding.

~ Bill Costigan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: