Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c10f8eda08034ad4c6a01d311c7ab22Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ki-Adi Mundi saber blanks! Non-Profit Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TridCloudwalker (Aaron A. Chernak)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Ki-Adi Mundi saber blanks! Non-Profit Project Reply with quote

UPDATE AUGUST 9th:

Sandblasting info and photo progress in the August 9th post.

UPDATE JULY 12th:

Huge photo update. Since I have this thread on 6 different message boards, I'm only going to put the update in the original RPF thread. Please go there to read all the groovy news and see all the spiffy pictures. Here's the link: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=62731 Anyone can view the thread, but of course you'll need to be a member to reply in it. If you're not, feel free to make questions and comments here.

**UPDATE JULY 6th:**

Payments due July 24th. View progress pics in the new post.

UPDATE June 14th!

My machinist DOES have access to sand/bead blasting equipment. He's working up prices and will let me know later in the week. So in theory, anyone who want's their saber body blasted to match the resin/metal stunt sabers (which had the majority of the screentime) will have the option for an additional fee (which won't be much).

Equally, if anyone would like me to assemble, polish, paint, etc their saber for them, send me a PM and we'll work out a deal.

Also, his materials got delayed in shipment, so he'll be starting the machining this coming Monday (the 15th) as opposed to last Tuesday.

UPDATE June 6th - Sign up closed - PAYMENT INFO

Well, we unfortunately didn't hit the 40 saber mark, and I can't afford to buy six more sabers to get it there, so we're looking at $149. The machinist will be ordering the material first thing Monday morning, and he will receive it by Tuesday afternoon. He estimates a two to three week turnaround, and he was nice enough to allow full payment upon completion, instead of half up front. He's a nice guy, very knowledgable with his machinery, and is very interested in this project. He told me he was probably going to make an extra one for himself. Smile He's been machining for about 25 years, and on the rare occasion he gets stuck on how to program in a complicated shape, he has a friend who's been doing it for nearly 50 years who can. I'll try to get over to the shop a few times to take progress pics.

Now for the payment info:

I'd like to get all payments in no later than June 27th, but that's subject to change until I get a solid completion date from the machinist. You can start paying now if you like, or wait a bit. I will be holding all the funds in my PayPal account until the sabers are finished and approved by me. That way, if some unforseen problem occurs like his shop burning down or something, you'll all get full refunds.

Send payments via PayPal to aaron@tridity.org

If for some reason you need to use an alternate payment method, PM me and we'll work something out.

1 saber with 1 emitter - $149
1 saber with both emitters - $159
2 sabers with 1 emitter each - $293
2 sabers with both emitters each - $313
*For orders outside the continental US, add $10*

When sending payment in, be sure to list the following in the notes section:
1. Username
2. What board you're from
3. How many sabers
4. What kind(s) of emitter(s) (ie. deactivated or activated or both)

Unless you tell me otherwise, I will assume that you want a solid, deactivated emitter.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone for helping to get this run off the ground. Our collections will be ever closer to complete.

UPDATE May29th - NOW TAKING ORDERS

The machinist will be starting these early next week. He estimates a 3 week turn around. I'll be driving over there from time to time to get photos of the progress and the pieces.

Here's the final breakdown:
If I get 30 confirmed orders, the price is $149 shipped.
If I get 40 confirmed orders, the price is $120 shipped.
If I get 50 confirmed orders, the price should dip below a hundred, but I'll need to confirm with the machinist the exact amount.

These prices are for CONUS. If you're over seas, I'm unfortunately going to have to ask for an additional $10.00 shipping. All sabers will be shipped in a small flat rate USPS shipping box and have a confirmation tracking number.

I ask that everyone who is definitely in for this run, please PM me and also post here that you are confirmed. Once confirmed, it is an obligation to buy. I wont need the money right away, but once the sabers are finished, I'll need all payments to be in. I will wait until Friday June 5th at 1pm EST for everyone interested to confirm. However many people have confirmed by then will determine the number of sabers I will have my machinist produce. After that time I will list my paypal address and start accepting money.

Please let me know how many sabers you want, and whether you want a deactivated emitter top, one with a 3/4" hole to accept a blade, or both. If you want both, please add an additional $10.

UPDATE May 19th: I have finally chosen a machinist to make this run of sabers. I just need a few more days to get the costs of the greeblies and shipping, and I'll have a final price for everyone. It'll definitely be under $150 for everything shipped. That include the saber pieces, rubber o-rings, Bezel, and "control box."

These will ALL be machined hollow so that you can insert electronics and a blade if you wish. If not, you can have a solid endcap and still have a perfectly accurate display saber. It'll still have a very nice heft to it.

Please excuse the cross post, but I know not everyone is a member of therpf.com, and I'm sure there will be some of you interested in this. http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=62731

Ben I will be producing the Ki-Adi Mundi lightsaber out of lathed and CNCed machined aluminum. This should be the most accurate one made to date, and if I did things right, for good. I've gotten measurments from the hero saber (not hands on measurments, but they are acurate), not the resin stunt (though that was referanced too). I've had a few very respected and trusted members of this forum who are lightsaber gurus help me out, and they are welcome to chime in if they wish.

I'm still waiting on the final price to come in, which is why this isn't a For Sale thread yet. Once I get the figures, I'll switch the thread prefix and start taking orders. Obviously, the more sabers made, the cheaper they'll be. I'm going to try to drum up some interest on other boards like Rebel Scum and such, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

If I do 20 or so sabers, we're looking at $130 - $150 a piece, 40 - 50 sabers and we're looking at $100 - $130 a piece, more than that and we could drop below a hundred. Again, these are not the final prices, just an average so you know roughly what will happen to your wallet in this run.

The saber will include the two knobs (one brass, one aluminum), LED bar ("control box"), and rubber o-rings. IF I can find the correct LED bezel, I will be trying to make a bulk order, but no promises yet. We might be on our own. If anyone knows where to get the proper bezel, let me know and I'll make it worth your while. It will not include the covertech knob, as those can be bought easily elsewhere and would only raise the price of this run.

It's also possible these will be hollow and modular to allow for electronics, but that depends on price right now. I'm trying to keep this run as cheap as possible. As it is, I'm not going to be making any profit off this. I'm doing this run because I want this saber for my collection, and I want to do something for our community.

Below is an inaccurate prototype made with old blueprints. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL SABER. This is just to show you basically what this saber will look like:

Anyone who is interested in getting in on this run, post here or PM me, and I will add you to the list so I can figure out how many sabers to have machined. Remember, the more that sign up, the cheaper it will be. If you can't PM me, you're welcome to e mail jobewalker at hot mail for any questions and comments.

CONFIRMED LIST:

1. TridCloudwalker - CONFIRMED PAID
2. TridCloudwalker - CONFIRMED PAID
3. Son of Skywalker - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters, no retenion hole) PAID
4. KnightAsylum - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAID
5. SithLordHritz - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
6. RussRep - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAYMENT PENDING
7. foxbatkllr - RPF - CONFIRMED PAID
8. Poseidon11 - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
9. wbundrick - RPF - CONFIRMED PAID
10. Shinki-Ro - RPF - CONFIRMED PAID
11. Darth Mule - RPF - CONFIRMED (activated emitter) PAID
12. Stormer - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
13. Darth Xusia - FX-Sabers - CONFIRMED (open emitter) UNPAID
14. cboath - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAID
15. AMP - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
16. Jedi Reali - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAID
17. kuyadavid - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAID
18. Jediwannabe - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter) PAID
19. Ironman - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
20. toasterstrudels - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
21. LostSkywalker - Rebel Legion - CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAYMENT PENDING
22. Locke_333 - Resin Illuminati - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
23. MH - FX-Sabers - CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAID
24. archang - RPF - CONFIRMED (deactivated emitter, no retention hole) PAID
25. H1rg0n - RPF - CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAID
26. Master Dai Bendu - FX-Sabers - CONFIRMED (Both emitters) PAID
27. Sammut - Rebelscum - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
28. Shinojo - FX-Sabers - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
29. LDM - RPF - CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAID
30. Darth Lars - RPF -  CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAID
31. OB10 - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAID
32. Son of Skywalker - RPF - CONFIRMED (closed emitter, no retention hole) PAID
33. jaakub - RPF -CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAYMENT PENDING
34. jaakub - RPF - CONFIRMED (both emitters) PAYMENT PENDING
35. CaptainPeg - FX-Sabers -  CONFIRMED (open emitter) PAID

Last edited by TridCloudwalker (Aaron A. Chernak) on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm; edited 46 times in total
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfen from this forum has signed up. Anyone else here want to get in on the run? We've broken the 20 piece mark. Lets try to hit at LEAST 30!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ki-Adi Mundi aluminum saber blanks for your saber arsena Reply with quote

Whoops, meant to edit my first post, but since I'm here, I might as well say we hit the 25 mark, and we're only on day 2 of interest. If this keeps up we should hit price drop quantities in no time.

Also, I should have the final prices in by Wednesday. I'm waiting for one last minute quote to come in.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thing can be fitted with electronics so it lights up, I might be interested.
That's a pretty sweet looking saber.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order a hollow one which will have an inner diameter just wide enough to accept a crystal focus board from plector labs. So, yes, you can add electronics if you wish. That's what I plan on doing to mine eventually. Shall I add you to the list?
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually planning to use the electronics kit from www.thecustomsabershop.com- no board, just a buckpuck driver. Would that work?
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blueprints for the hollow version have the inner diameter as 1.0710 inches. I'm not sure of the buckpuck dimensions, as TCSS doesn't have them listed on the website, but so long as it's less than 1.0710 inches, you shouldn't have a problem fitting it in there.

Also, it's been designed to take a 3/4" blade. I personally prefer the look of the 1" blades, but it would have just made the emitter section too weak on this particular saber to go that large.
Arm On Fire (Randy Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanita wrote:
I was actually planning to use the electronics kit from www.thecustomsabershop.com- no board, just a buckpuck driver. Would that work?

the puck will fit no problem, its the standard battery pack that would not fit, 4 AAA pack needs at least 1 3/16" ID, and the AA pack needs even more space than that.

Tridcloudwalker, I stongly suggest you find a way to redesign this to fit a 1" blade. It would make it much more appealing to those over at FX forums and other saber forums that you are cross posting at. Most members who would want to add electronics will have a more difficult time making a 3/4 blade look decent, and most already have 1" blades. It would be more cost effective to use a blade that you already have. Just my 2 republic credits Very Happy
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll second that. I've got a stack of 1" blades, and the only 3/4" I have is stuff I bought when I was playing with EL, which I quickly abandoned for LED.

All of the other sabers I use on a regular basis take 1" blades- I would like to be able to use those.

As for the battery pack, which pack could I use that would fit in there?
Does the pommel screw off to allow easy access to it?
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that any battery pack for AA or AAA's would fit to get a 6v source. You would probably have to go with a camera battery and unless it's a rechargeable battery, it could get expensive to power.
My last design went with a 12v source and after discovering that rechargeable AA's are actually 1.3 v's instead of 1.5...well, let's just say that I've been in search for a viable 12v rechargeable supply since.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh..that might be a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately..In addition to looking cool hanging on my belt, I would want to be able to light the thing up as well.
ArkaiHalon

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
I don't know that any battery pack for AA or AAA's would fit to get a 6v source. You would probably have to go with a camera battery and unless it's a rechargeable battery, it could get expensive to power.
My last design went with a 12v source and after discovering that rechargeable AA's are actually 1.3 v's instead of 1.5...well, let's just say that I've been in search for a viable 12v rechargeable supply since.

using two trust fires in a linear set up, or even a custom li-ion pack will fit very easily. Most LED's will run quite sufficiently on a 3.7 pack

As for your 12v powersource, what are you trying to power? the sun? LOL
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArkaiHalon wrote:
Masterbean wrote:

using two trust fires in a linear set up, or even a custom li-ion pack will fit very easily. Most LED's will run quite sufficiently on a 3.7 pack

As for your 12v powersource, what are you trying to power? the sun? LOL

pretty much, it's a Luxeon Endor Rebel I think they are called, they have three of the Luxeon LED's on them and they require, I think 7v and the circuit I designed was for 12v because there was a battery holder I had picked up on a website that put 8 AA's in series. Of course, I didn't realize just how much bulk that was...but since I already have the resistors for a 12 v circuit...I suppose I could've gone with a POT or one of those buckpucks, which I believe is just a fancy POT, but I didn't. I like to be complicated anyway.
JRHermle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:

You could try a hack of a 9v battery. It's just 6 AAAA cells (1.5v) wired together. Four of the AAAA would be for 6V, but it's at 590 mA. AAA or AA are near 1000 mA.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I have finally chosen a machinist to make this run of sabers. I just need a few more days to get the costs of the greeblies and shipping, and I'll have a final price for everyone. It'll definitely be under $150 for everything shipped. That include the saber pieces, rubber o-rings, Bezel, and "control box."

These will ALL be machined hollow so that you can insert electronics and a blade if you wish. If not, you can have a solid endcap and still have a perfectly accurate display saber. It'll still have a very nice heft to it.

I'll talk to my blueprinter and see if the blade can be changed to 1", but I'm pretty certain it isn't structurally safe to do so. The first time you whack another blader, your emitter could crack right off. But I will double check for everyone.

Also, I realize those plastic battery packs may not fit in, but to accomodate them, I would have to alter the accuracy of the saber and make everything wider. The point of this saber is for it to be the most accurate version ever made. Right now, there is less than 1/8th of an inch between the inner and outer wall. Any thinner, and there's a danger of the saber cracking or bending under even the lightest of dueling. Again, though, I will double check with my blueprinter to see if anything can be changed internally. Does anyone have an exact measurment of the battery packs? And cant one just use some heat shrink tube to put some batteries together instead of the clips, and use a recharge port?[/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: