Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bae1a76d4df831b2a8a0724807d9cd1fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ylan Firesign (Thomas G. Atkinson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Becca, I'm sorry. It looks like you and I were writing at about the same time, and my first post wound up right after yours by chance -- I honestly hadn't read yours when I wrote. Please don't think that I'm attacking you personally, or even as a representative of the Legion.

I'm going to have to try to make my thoughts more clear and blog them or something. My objections apply to the 501st, and the Jedi Assembly, and some Civil War and Revolutionary War re-enactment groups I'm aware of, and probably quite a bit more.

Better chaotic good than lawful evil.
JaylinDakaal ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a problem with waiting two weeks for a response really. Most of the LCJs do try hard to stay on top of things, and I hardly ever see anyone have to wait the whole two weeks to hear something.

When it comes to pictures, they request the background for purposes of making photoshopping the picture easier. If they have a lot of background stuff going on the nifty little magic wand tool is useless because it only highlights tiny little bits at once. Then they have to zoom in huge and erase by pixels to get it, rather than just touching up. Any solid background is going to help, even if it's just having someone stand behind you and hold a sheet up when you're outside. Tape the sheet up between two trees, find a blank wall on the side of a building (not one with bricks but one that's just a smooth solid colored wall).

When it comes to submitting your pictures, I have a general rule that I go by. I try to think of things in terms of if I were in their position. If it's on the list of requirements, it should be clearly visible in at least one photo, and there should be one of front, back and each side at least, for jedi, same with robe on and off. I see it as being a kind of common sense thing. If you're proud of the work you did on your costume then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to show off every piece of it. I even think it's better for other members. I know when I'm thinking about a costume I look through the member photos of that costume and the people who have several images provide me with a lot more help that if there is only one.

As far as the idea of having standards being harmful, I can't agree with that. The way I see it the foundation of both the RL and 501st is accurate looking good quality (by which I mean how closely the craftsmanship resembles that of the original source) costumes. All clubs have standards for getting in, even if you don't realize it. No one in high school joins the math club unless they have an interest in math, be it to improve or excel. Standards are what define a club, some clubs just have more specific standards than others. Saying that having standards for a costume to meet is no different than high IQ societies having a cut off line. The RL identifies itself as a club that does accurate costuming, it wouldn't be fair to the people who DO work hard on their costumes if everyone who bought a walmart jedi costume was let in, no different than if someone with an IQ of 100 was let into a society for 135 and up.

Sorry if I've crossed any lines here, that's just the way I see things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me on this one point. You can never submit too many pics of your costume. Not only will it make the job of the LCJ easier, but it will give them a better selection to use for your framed pic.

Now Ylan Firesign, I do gree with some of what you said. I have been doing Civil War Reenacting for 10+ years, and I can honestly say they are the biggest costume Nazi's around. I had to work twice as hard to get my officer's gear right for them; then I ever had to for either of my 2 Anakin's for the RL (and our Anakin standards are tough).

So yes we do have costume standards, and we do expect members to conform to them. However we are nowhere near as bad as some other groups are.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are going to be costume Nazis (elitist) no matter what costuming club you go to. It has been my experience that the longer the club has been in existence, the more of these types of people are present. It is the nature of the beast.

There is always going to be a few bad apples in every bunch. That is true in any organized society. But those bad apples don't represent the whole bunch, just a select few.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jolly ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for everyone to bare with me on this because I am very new to RL.

If it were not for the 'guidelines' set by other cosuming organizations, I would not have been inducted into the "Midwest Clown Hall of Fame". Their criteria is unbelievably strict and non yielding. Many, in fact, refuse to adhere to such demands. It had taken me five years of hard work in reaching that goal. For some, it had taken twenty years. Yes, this is not for everyone. But the dividends were rewarding.

My point is: Guidelines and standards are helpful pieces of information. Since 1995, I've performed all over the globe and I've met some well meaning costumers who needed a little assistance. This is when I refer them to organizations like this one.

Jedi Knight Zhar Tah-Jot
Republic Commando - Fixer (Four-Oh)
Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Guy, [ICMG])

" . . . it takes many Jedi to undo the mistakes of one."
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, I want to thank Donna for posting this. It needed to be said, because in my short time as a LCJ, I have seen a lot of costumes come in with really bad backgrouonds, too dark to see detail, or only one picture that does not show me what I need to do my job.

So please, everyone --just know that in the digital age, it really isn't asking too much to take a few extra pics and post them, showing us everything in the checklist. It's not like you're getting charged for film development or hosting. There are plenty of free hosting sites like Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, etc, so please take the time to take some extra pics, and make it easier for everyone to get your costume approved.

Same thing with finding a decent background. We are not asking for professional backgrounds, professional lighting, or anything costly --just a simple background that is easy to photoshop out if & when needed. You don't need seamless paper, just a relatively simple/plain background. In the case of an Endor Trooper, please don't take it outdoors. Jedi, maybe try not to use a brown background. A little contrast helps.

When I take pictures for folks for their application & submittal pics, I generally do this: Maybe it's a bit overboard, but it makes sure that the LCJ has more than enough to make their decision quickly and efficiently:

Link to album with more pics

(Julie, hopefully you're OK with me using this as an example!)

Head to toe front

Head to toe right side, arms up

Head to toe left side, arms up

Head to toe back

Detail shot of: belt

Detail shot of: helmet (if applicable)
Detail shot of: blaster or saber (I should ahve taken a full shot of just the saber)

Detail shot of: footwear (forgot to do this on this costume)
Helmet off picture (if the helmet covers the face)
Action pose

Now, that's about 10 pictures. How long did that take for me to take those pics? Less time than it did for the person to get into costume. So it makes more sense, and saves more time to take more pics when the person is kitted up, than it does to NOT take them, and have them get an email requesting more pics. Because then, they have to get kitted up all over again and redo the process.

So, more is better. Toss them up on a photosharing site, and include the link in the application. It's not that big a deal, and it makes the application & approval process a lot easier.

And I'll also put this out... I think Bill is right. I will make a concious effort to at least send out an email saying that I am reviewing a costume, to let the person know that I'm aware it's in the queue. Very good point.

Unfortunately, the work IT squirrels block some photohosting sites, so I simply can't see them during the day time. And some weeks are busier than others. I have not had a chance to log in at night this week and look at some pics & costumes. But I will be going through the queue and letting folks know that I am at least working on it, so they are not lost in some mythical black hole. Great point, Bill! Cool

So thanks to Donna for bringing this up.

Remember, the LJC team is here to help you. Use the forums, and if you have questions while you are working on your costume, POST THEM!!! Better to ask early and get an answer, then to spend time and money only to find out that that piece is not up to standards.

corellianfive ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Master_Skywalker_ wrote:
Donna was trying to help. Help the LCJ's do their job easier, faster & better for the better of all involved.

and help the applicants get approved faster because of this.

I applaud her for trying to make things better.

None of these positions are paid(nor should they be I might add) & a lot of good people give up their free time to help others to have great costuming experiences because of the love of it.

From Hoffman, to Jedhead to Lori,to Joel, to the LCJ's & all the CO & XO's around the world...there is a LOT of work that goes into these positions that most don't see. Like William said, I thank Donna for taking the time to compile a list of things that will make everyone's application smoother & easier. Yes it will make it easier for the LCJ's but intern that will mean faster, smoother approvals for the applicants....that can not be a bad thing right ?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nod, Bill. I might add that just because we are in the digital age, not everyone is up to par with it. I don't have a digital camera. I do have friends that have digital cameras, but it can be inconvenient at times to get the use of said camera.

There are those of us who are still using the disposable cameras and are still paying for film development (points finger toward myself). So don't hate on those of us who aren't up to digital age snuff, too much! We mean well, too!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film? What is this that you speak of? People still develop that stuff? I thought that went out with cassette tapes and 8-tracks? Razz Laughing

No hating at all.... just razzing. (One day I might get a film camera for black & white photography... some day)

But I would say that if you are paying to develop film and paying for a disposeable camera, and then taking the time to scan them then send them in.... then it would make even more sense to take a couple of extra pics so you don't have to spend another $10 getting the camera... then developing... then scanning... but that's me. Cool

Just keep in mind that for whatever costume you're sending in, the more pictures you give us, the easier it is for us to run through the checklist and get you approved. What it all comes down to is if we can walk through the checklist, see everything in one sitting, then you're approved. If we can't, we'll have to email you, request pics, and go through the whole process all over again. It just makes sense to do it the first time. Cool

Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that I woud kill two birds with one stone: it will cost more, but I think I will opt to have the pics burned to a disk. It s much easier to distribute that way. Since I don't have a scanner, it saves me the process.

I just need to get with the modern times.... kind of hard when everyone is knocking on my door for their due. Rolling Eyes

I get the concept of paying bills... but good grief, I'm still waiting for peop to start paying me!

- Bill
Roboticist ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.

I'm new here and have just submitted my first costume.

I have a very simple suggestion. Would it be possible for the application form to contain titles for the pictures you want to see, and have sufficient spaces for extra pictures without the need to find a "press here to add more pictures" button?

I found your application page to be confusing because you ask for all the detail, but only have space for 4 pictures before having to press a button to add more.

Just a thought.
vader ehl ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: new to forum and clearence pics Reply with quote

hi my mames shaun could someone please tell me whare i need to send my pics for clearance thanks
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 13 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: new to forum and clearence pics Reply with quote

vader ehl wrote:
hi my mames shaun could someone please tell me whare i need to send my pics for clearance thanks

Hi Shaun- when you're logged into this site, look at the top of the page- under 'Forum and Costume Controls' can you see a link to 'My Costumes'? Click on that and there should be a link to 'Add a costume'. Click on that, fill in the costume details and add the links to your costume pics. When you're ready, click on the submit box at the bottom, then hey presto, your application is sent!

Like the guys have said, make sure you take good, clear pics from all sides and with a plain background as possible.

boushh
501st UK Garrison #4696 (retired)
Birdman ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciated having this forum, I am getting my costume ready for application and was wondering what you would need, and lo and behold, a thread with all the info! Thanks so much!
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my costume off of the RL a few weeks back but have decided to stay with the RL with that costume.
When I try to resubmit using the application tab... all I am getting is this username is already used.
I don't want to change my username.
What do I need to do?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: