About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a43df721e57fe1d0bb4e970d5d400594Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION Reply with quote

A Message From the Rebel Legion Costuming Judges:

As I struggle with yet another really difficult, distracting, multi-colored background submission photo, I want to give upcoming applicants some tips for making your submission go faster and smoother.

1. Submit more than 1 photo.

The best shots are a full (head-toe) front and a full back, which show the details of your costume. If the Legion Costuming Judge cannot see the details and confirm that you have met the requirements, then your application will be put aside while we request and wait for more pictures.

If you take a long time to get us additional photos (over 2 weeks), then your application may be "dumped" by the system and you'll have to submit a new application. It's a pain for everyone; giving Judges everything they need the first time around is much easier.

Action shots are good for your membership picture, but we really need the "boring" ones.

2. Choose a plain, solid colored background for your pictures. (Preferably something that contrasts with your outfit colors.)

Pictures with brick walls, rock walls, bushes, trees, wood fences, mulch, grass, polka-dots (I got two with that background Shocked ), patterned wallpaper, and/or same/similar colors to your outfit take a lot longer to Photoshop. It breaks my heart to see a really great costume be "butchered" in the background deletion process because of all the little, nitty, irritating pieces that need to be removed so that you can be "placed" in one of our backgrounds from the movies.

An Endor Trooper may look great in the backyard, but that means the LCJ has to spend even more time to remove all those elements so that we can put in an actual image from Endor behind you.

Think "greenscreen" and don't worry about the background details; plain is good.

3. BE PATIENT.

LCJs have a life outside of RL and sometimes we can't get to your application as fast as we would like. The LMO requests that we process applications within two weeks of it being submitted. That may mean that people who submit at the beginning of the window may wait longer than those who submit at the end. We tend to do applications in batches.

4. Accept the LCJ's decision.

It has been a 4+ year process to upgrade the costuming standards for this club. Just because "that guy" got in with an inferior costume doesn't mean you can. "That guy" may have joined back in 2002 when the standards were less strict and his profile hasn't been updated/edited yet.

The standards are the standards. You need to read them and follow them. If you have questions then ask the LCJ for that costuming category before submitting your application; they should be able to give you the information you need.

The costuming forums (Pilot, Jedi, Rebel Troopers, Royalty/Senatorial, etc.) are there for YOU. There is a TON of good information in there. The Rebel Trooper forum even has "Where to Get" threads at the top of the page so that you can get your items from the same suppliers as the rest of the full members. Use the Search function on this board to find discussions on specific items.

If you are still unhappy about the decision, then you can go to the Legion Membership Officer and request a review.

Thank you for listening and I hope your upcoming applications go smoothly. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've brought this up before, but since you posted these tips I just wanted to give some feedback. One thing that helps with being patient is feedback knowing that our submission has been received.
I know when I submitted my application the only thing I heard back was when it was approved, which did go faster than I expected...but I was biting my nails wondering if I submitted it properly, gave enough photos, etc.
Even if it was a canned email of, yes I have received your submission, thank you very much, I will be in touch if I need more information, that kinda thing would be a wonderful improvement to the overall process.

Other than that, I do love that these tips are here and thank you for taking the time to post them!
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have a question about your costume submission, we send you an e-mail, usually within the week after submission. We do not e-mail every applicant though as that would be quite time-consuming regarding if we received the application or not. Just know, that everyone hears something in the 2 week period, whether it be an e-mail asking a question or for more pics or an approval. Amadalia

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna
read the above statement and i applaud you for posting this....i just
have one concern, my place isn't all that big and don't have too
many places to hang a sheet or such to stand in front of, my backyard
is the only place i have room to move around in and unfortunately
you will have the trees and such in the photos, there's nothing i can do
about that...have been lucky so far with submittals, i understand what
you are saying and i always ask questions beforehand.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hallway? A door? You don't have those in your home?

You don't have to hang a sheet; just make sure the wall behind you doesn't have a ton of stuff on it. Or stand in front of a closed door.

I have an angled wall in my home I use for a background, I just remove the picture hanging on it while I'm snapping shots. Once I'm done I put the picture back.

If you tilt the camera so that the picture is tall and not wide, then you cut out a lot of the extra stuff in the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies...I do have those in my place, however most of the walls
have quite a bit either on them or in front of them and its almost a
mission unto itself to rearrange everything and the one hallway is
kind of narrow, so i have to work with what i have.....but i thank you for
the advice on future submissions.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
If we have a question about your costume submission, we send you an e-mail, usually within the week after submission. We do not e-mail every applicant though as that would be quite time-consuming regarding if we received the application or not. Just know, that everyone hears something in the 2 week period, whether it be an e-mail asking a question or for more pics or an approval. Amadalia

You're saying that with the number of costuming judges, that they can't crank out an email when they receive an application, just to say "hey, I got your application, I am working on it as we speak"?

I can respect the fact that time is precious to the powers that be, but so is the case to the applicant. I don't think it is too much to ask that the applicant get some sort of feedback. Telling them to wait a couple of weeks is just bad form, in my opinion.

In case you are wondering, I was a GML in the 501st. I took the job very seriously. Whenever I got an application, I contacted those folks right away. If for no other reason that to let them know that I did, in fact, receive the application. Something that I have learned over the years is that you get a better caliber of costumer when you, as a costuming judge, actually give the impression that you care about the success of the applying costumer. It raises the bar to a new level for the legion.

Now I understand that you could be inundated with a huge work load. But seriously, taking something like 30 seconds to let the applicant know that you have received their application and will get back to them in a timely manner will work wonders. Keeping a form letter as a draft will make the task extremely simple.

Something to consider....

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jolly ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came onboard at the end of March and was accepted within the first two weeks in April. I learned from a previous rejection.

After being rejected the first time by TJA, my background simply was not appropriate by long shot! That same day, I chosen a plain white wall. And then, everything feel into place.

But before I submitted any pics to RL, I read through the costume process. It's just something we all have to do.

I now put myself in place of judges. If I can see something not to snuf, so can they.

"In the heart of every Jedi, is an inner peace . . ."

Jedi Knight Zhar Tah-Jot
Republic Commando - Fixer (Four-Oh)
Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Guy, [ICMG])

" . . . it takes many Jedi to undo the mistakes of one."
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
You're saying that with the number of costuming judges, that they can't crank out an email when they receive an application, just to say "hey, I got your application, I am working on it as we speak"?

I can respect the fact that time is precious to the powers that be, but so is the case to the applicant. I don't think it is too much to ask that the applicant get some sort of feedback. Telling them to wait a couple of weeks is just bad form, in my opinion.

In case you are wondering, I was a GML in the 501st. I took the job very seriously. Whenever I got an application, I contacted those folks right away. If for no other reason that to let them know that I did, in fact, receive the application. Something that I have learned over the years is that you get a better caliber of costumer when you, as a costuming judge, actually give the impression that you care about the success of the applying costumer. It raises the bar to a new level for the legion.

Now I understand that you could be inundated with a huge work load. But seriously, taking something like 30 seconds to let the applicant know that you have received their application and will get back to them in a timely manner will work wonders. Keeping a form letter as a draft will make the task extremely simple.

- Bill

Well in my category, there are 2 LCJs and honestly most of the applications are either approved or get an e-mail from us asking for more pics within 1 day. I take my position very seriously as well which is why most of my applicants are approved in less than 2 weeks and they have roster pics. We do not, in the Rebel Legion, use placeholders b/c we like our approval to be finished in 2 weeks and actually have a picture to go along with the approval.

You must remember that LCJ is a voluntary position and this is a hobby. We all have real lives and to wait 2 weeks for a response is not an unreasonable request. If I have a question, we do use a form e-mail to ask the applicant and I have not had any complaints with the speed of my approvals. Also, I prefer to get back to the applicant with an approval rather than waste my time with an e-mail saying I am working on it especially when I have to PS the roster pic and that takes me at least 10 minutes depending on the quality of the pic and the complexity of the background which was the reason for Donna's message in the first place.
This was not posted to bash the LCJs who all work very hard and are some of the most talented costumers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll save you the trouble and not submit an application, then.

I thought about it a few months ago, but my subconscious reminded me via a very disturbing dream that I don't agree with y'all's system here at all.

I am my own and only costume judge. The standards are mine, and the only person I have to please is myself. Why legions of people line up to submit to an arbitrary and self-proclaimed authority is beyond me. But line up they do, and my arguments always seem to fall on legions of deaf ears.

I've been a Star Wars fan for 32 years, and a costume fan for longer. Y'all are very talented, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented. I'm one of you, really. But arranging things so that someone has to create a costume that's up to your "standards" BEFORE they'll be accepted into the group is simply backwards. I've seen it cause a lot of hurt and heartache, and I've seen it enable too many bullies, and I want no part of that.

Costume standards should apply to costumes, not to people.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
Aramys Strael wrote:

- Bill

Well in my category, there are 2 LCJs and honestly most of the applications are either approved or get an e-mail from us asking for more pics within 1 day. I take my position very seriously as well which is why most of my applicants are approved in less than 2 weeks and they have roster pics. We do not, in the Rebel Legion, use placeholders b/c we like our approval to be finished in 2 weeks and actually have a picture to go along with the approval.

You must remember that LCJ is a voluntary position and this is a hobby. We all have real lives and to wait 2 weeks for a response is not an unreasonable request. If I have a question, we do use a form e-mail to ask the applicant and I have not had any complaints with the speed of my approvals. Also, I prefer to get back to the applicant with an approval rather than waste my time with an e-mail saying I am working on it especially when I have to PS the roster pic and that takes me at least 10 minutes depending on the quality of the pic and the complexity of the background which was the reason for Donna's message in the first place.
This was not posted to bash the LCJs who all work very hard and are some of the most talented costumers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

I know all too well that being a costuming judge is a voluntary position. I was one for the 501st in the form of a Garrison Membership Liaison - a position that is not so unlike your own. So, I know what you have to deal with.

Please don't take my comments as a slam against you guys, it honestly wasn't. I know that it can be a very thankless job sometimes. All I am saying is that when you have people bursting with anticipation in wanting to get into the club, it does calm the nerves a bit when they know that their application is being addressed. That has been my experience as a GML.

Not trying to say my way is better than yours, and I'm certainly not trying to make light of the job that you do. Just a difference of opinion, I suppose. I do hope that you didn't take offense to my comments, or found them to be flammatory toward you. If that is the case, I do apologize, it certainly was not my intention at all...

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ylan Firesign wrote:
Well, I'll save you the trouble and not submit an application, then.

I thought about it a few months ago, but my subconscious reminded me via a very disturbing dream that I don't agree with y'all's system here at all.

I am my own and only costume judge. The standards are mine, and the only person I have to please is myself. Why legions of people line up to submit to an arbitrary and self-proclaimed authority is beyond me. But line up they do, and my arguments always seem to fall on legions of deaf ears.

I've been a Star Wars fan for 32 years, and a costume fan for longer. Y'all are very talented, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented. I'm one of you, really. But arranging things so that someone has to create a costume that's up to your "standards" BEFORE they'll be accepted into the group is simply backwards. I've seen it cause a lot of hurt and heartache, and I've seen it enable too many bullies, and I want no part of that.

The standards were created to have a "baseline" requirement for the different costuming categories. Because many of us have the pleasure of working with LFL, we have tried to represent their copyrighted material in the best way possible.

For many years the 501st referred to us as "bathrobe Jedi" because we had no standards for costumes. In the last 4+ years many people have worked very, very hard to create that baseline.

If you are a dedicated costumer you will probably exceed the standards. There have been many discussions among the LCJs that the standards are "lax" and not professional enough. But for those who are new to this hobby, the majority of us have tried to walk the line between uber-stitch-for-stitch screen accurate and acceptable for the general public.

No one is holding a fire to your feet to join the Legion. But the benefits of doing charity work in our communities, walking in parades, and participating with fellow Legion members is worth it to those people who are happy to have their costumes judged against our standards.

This thread was never intended to be a discussion/complaint about the application process. It was intended to give guidelines to applicants to make sure their application was processed as quickly as possible. If you don't agree with it, then don't do it. Simple as that.
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, for the love of Zeus !

How does a simple "if you can, can you please help us to help you" turn into an argument ?

Do people need to fight to feel alive ? Donna was trying to help. Help the LCJ's do their job easier, faster & better for the better of all involved.

and help the applicants get approved faster because of this.

I applaud her for trying to make things better.

I've been the Luke Skywalker LCJ for a while now & I'd like to give you my perspective on this:

Personally, I email the applicant immediately when I see it in the queue which I check every day. I think it's nice to give a quick response to the applicant, but I understand also we have a number of LCJ's and some lead very busy lives & can't always get straight onto things, but within a few days contact of some sort should probably be made I think.

As for the tips on applying, they are just that, tips/hints how to make someone's life a little easier & if you could..wouldn't you want to do that. No-one is saying if you stand in front of a bush we won't approve you, just if you can, can you please think about it, it's a request not a demand.

The fact of the matter is, LCJ's require numerous pics and MANY applications come through with one pic only & a lot of the time it will be missing crucial part of the costume or a t-shirt showing. If people read the standards and application criteria first the LCJ doesn't have to say "sorry, but I can't approve as it is" and the applicant doesn't get that "rejected" feeling. It's just a method to hopefully make applications smoother for everyone.

I hope that people can all see it for what it is worth, helpful hints & not trying be difficult at all.

Luke 2

Ylan Firesign ()

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get nowhere with this, because I always get nowhere with this. You so don't get where I'm coming from, I don't even know where to begin.

But I will point out that in my aforementioned 32-plus years of costume fandom, I've done plenty of costumed charity work, walked in many parades, and done so while enjoying the company of like-minded individuals, all without the need for the approval or even the existence of a Legion or its "standards".

Quote:
If you don't agree with it, then don't do it. Simple as that.

That would be fine if it were just about me. But I perceive harm being done to people in the name of something that I love, and I can't just walk away from that.

Costume standards should apply to costumes, not to people.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RL is a costume group, it has costume standards.

The 501st is a costume group also, it has costume standards.

there are other groups out there that have NO costume standards. The Rebel Legion is a fantastic group with fantastic people that come together to do fantastic things for many thousands of people world wide. They have rules as do most organisations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: