Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45fed47ceaba798ad9da037f46e7e7c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightsaber Questions...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sid Manroon ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Questions... Reply with quote

Hey, I'm having a saber custom built by a friend of mine and I just had a few questions. The saber is not a replica of any of the movie used sabers, but it is similar to the original Anikan saber given to Luke in ANH. The blade will be a sort of ice blue color (my builder is going to use an LED with a lens to achieve the effect as I do not want the standard Royal Blue color) and it will have a polished, shiny silver/chrome color finish on the hilt. There will be one control box in the same place as the clamp would be on the Anikan/Luke, and one smaller box on the back of the emitter shroud. I it is also being designed to attatch at the bottom to another hilt to form a double blade in the future. The second saber will have a red blade and a much darker look to it, but that one will not be built for some time yet. Now that you know the details, on to the questions!

Q1: What's the diameter of the average saber?

Q2: What would fit better, OT D-Ring or the Prequel phone clip?

Q3: Should I leave it without grips, to maintain the sleek look of a More Civilized Age, before the dark times? Or should I add some T-Tracks or something?

Q4: I was thinking of having some type of symbol or something engraved on the hilt. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Q5: Is there anything else anyone can think of that it should have?

Thanks for your help!
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsaber construction is a tricky thing. It is like the pilot helmets, in that they are typically a custom thing. In others words, nobody can really tell you what will or won't work for your costuming creation.

So, do whatever is that will make you happiest with your costume creation.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sid Manroon ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! I kinda knew it was like with the helmets, but I figured I'd ask for input anyways as something is nagging at me like it's missing. (I'll post pics for you guys once my buddy gets me the design image) That, and according to the lore of the charachter the saber belongs to, it was actually created by one of his ancestors, so I figured when I got a little stuck on the design it wouldn't hurt to ask for suggestions. Also wasn't sure what to do about the emmitter detail inside the shroud. I noticed on my MR Vader that there is detail in there, and figured that might be a cool thing to add on mine as well, but wasn't sure what that would do to the overall saber diameter. So yeah. Thanks for your encouragement, and if anyone else has input, keep it coming! I'd love to hear from people! One of my big problems in design has been that all the saber pics I find of custom builds seem very Prequel style, and I'm going for the Original feel. Trying to capture some of the old mystery from before anybody knew what "before the dark times" really meant.
JaylinDakaal ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you to grab a few pieces of graph paper (it helps me because I'm artistically challenged so I can make things look better with the graph paper), and then browse like the TCSS forums, specifically the gallery. Just sit and look at picture after picture after picture of sabers, concept art, etc. Make yourself a little note when you see the little things that you really like, and then use the graph paper to just start doodling various designs, and try to incorporate some of the things you found yourself fond of.

That's what I've been doing with some of my bored time or to doodle during classes. When you do it, just keep a few things in mind; always factor in the blade adjustment screw, covertec/d-ring, and on/off switch into your design, otherwise you'll end up with a pretty looking hunk of metal that can never have electronics. If you want sound, keep that in mind when you're drawing the pommel because some pommel designs won't allow for sound. And if you're planning to use a rechargable battery, keep that in mind as well for your design.

But I definately advise you to look at as many pictures as you can find of various sabers and different styles and designs, and since you're working with a character, keep that in mind as well. The environment your character is from or most frequently in could affect what it needs to look like, for instance the ones that are leather covered as opposed to metallic, or even designs made from natural elements (yorik coral), or the circumstances it was made (speeder bike saber anyone?)

The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia that was released in August of 2008 has a nice list depicting some notable lightsaber hilts. The images aren't the best or most detailed, but I compiled them here http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/XaviraX/Lightsaber%20Referance%20Images/ so that might be somewhere to start.

And now I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll shush. Good luck, and I hope you get one you love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sid Manroon ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I actually did do a little doodling to get the initial design, and I did pour through most of the saber pics from Ultrasabers, Parks, and a couple others, as well as a Google image search, and one or two other places, but I never saw all the cannon sabers in one place like that before! I was thinking I might leave it without a grip, and then make a sort of leather cover. See, I don't yet know for sure where the saber originated, but the charachter received it on Rhen Var (little hard to keep a grip on cold metal). He spends alot of time in varied environments, anywhere from Rhen Var to Korriban, Naboo to Tatooine. He is quite a pilot though, and he is at his happiest in the cockpit. Hey... space... zero-G... I wonder if a magnet hilt-glove combo might be a good idea? The Force would seem to make that pretty pointless though. Also, I like the D-Ring for it's classicness, but I have one problem. THe link mechanism for the connection is on the bottom of the hilt, right where the D-Ring normally goes. Have to work on that. And I might still want a knob for focusing control, but I'm not sure if the control box would cover that. I like the knobs, but I originally went with the second box to distinguish between my saber and the Anikan/Luke for individuality. Maybe I can use both though... *ponders* Keep the helpful stuff coming, I wanna make sure I get my saber perfect before I give it the final okay.

BTW, what are the TCSS forums? *hides in noobish shame*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCSS = The Custom Saber Shop

You should definitely check them out!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sid Manroon ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I think I've been there! I'll go check that out though! THanks! Ben
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hope no one minds me jacking this thead, he seems to have his question answered.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get a bladed dueling saber. Preferablly with lights, doesn't have to have sound, that makes it more expensive anyways I think, and if possible I'd like to design the hilt myself. Does anyone know of a good site or individual saber smith that can do all that? Preferablly not more then 200$??

I'm just looking for a good dueling saber, and I know there are a few good sites to get one from, but the under 100$ mark the hilts are just plain old grey stage things. I don't HAVE to design the hilt, but I figured while I was asking questions, I'd throw that in there to. So, if anyone has some good ideas or does it themselves, that would be great!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what he charges, or if he is even doing any commission work at the present. If you are on theforce.net forums, you can get a hold of him via PM.

I am PMing you his contact info now.

- Bill
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the "good sites" that offer dueling sabers for under $100 make theirs with plain hilts for the very reason that the purchaser can then customize them any way they wish.

However, if you are looking for someone to actually do the customizing for you, you would probably have better luck looking on this forum here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/
Lots of good information there Wink
ArkaiHalon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stunt (soundless) sabers can be had for anywhere from 20 bucks (no lights) up. If you build it yourself, the more affordable it will be. However, there are several competent sabersmith's here, that can make a good, hearty dueling saber for you fairly easily.
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArkaiHalon wrote:
stunt (soundless) sabers can be had for anywhere from 20 bucks (no lights) up. If you build it yourself, the more affordable it will be. However, there are several competent sabersmith's here, that can make a good, hearty dueling saber for you fairly easily.

Thanks for the info all, I'll start checkin it out and see what I can do.

And yeah, there are some competent smiths around here. My current saber hilt has taken its fair share of bumps and falls and still looks beautiful.
ArkaiHalon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eskyle wrote:
ArkaiHalon wrote:

Thanks for the info all, I'll start checkin it out and see what I can do.

And yeah, there are some competent smiths around here. My current saber hilt has taken its fair share of bumps and falls and still looks beautiful.

I bet the guy that built your first saber can upgrade it to duel worthy,
or possibly even build you a new one for a fair price.
Tia-Linn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random lightsaber question:
Under any circumstances, can a reddish (or red-orange) saber be wielded by a Jedi?
Is it ALWAYS Sith?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was written somewhere in the EU that Leia had a red one, but I think that was more about the writers lack of knowledge of the SW universe than anything else. I can't think of any other example of a Jedi with a red saber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: