About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d9bf2aaaee8818c3d2fac592ce70c458Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Helmet Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sid Manroon ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Endor Helmet Question Reply with quote

Hey all, I was wondering and couldn't find an answer in the Costume Requirements. Exactly how much, if any, customization is allowed on an Endor Commando helmet. I just bought an AN-H, no donut yet, and was wondering for when I get around to the donut. I know the helmet needs to have the standard donut and color, and all the soft parts must follow the usual pattern, but I was mostly just curious if a little Aurabesh on the donut and maybe some sabacc cards in the donut would be okay. (I think I'd like to use this costume to gain my full legion membership when it's finished) I'm guessing the sabacc cards would not be allowed for a formal costume?, but what about the Aurabesh? Thanks!

Costumes (nothing RL approved lol)
Jedi Knight (needs cloak)
Rogue Nine Corran Horn (off duty) (complete)
Stealth Stormtrooper (needs repair / sizing)
Rebel Pilot (forever in progress...)
Endor Commando (forever in progress...)

And a few non-star wars costumes...
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cards you can remove, no? Just put them in when you're at an event where that would be appropriate?

As for the text... It would kind of depend on what is is and where it is and how big it is. What were you thinking?

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sid Manroon ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that kinda confirms what I was thinking about the cards. As for the Aurabesh, I hadn't really decided what to write. I was just thinking some short little slogan or something. Something to fit the charachter I would be while in the costume. Now that I think about it, would kill slashes be acceptable too? Ya know, just a little white or black hash mark for each scout or stormie? I think I'd probably just have the cards, one slogan or word in aurabesh, and a few small hashes. Plus battle damage and such, of course. Or would the hashes fit better on a blaster? Cause I have no idea what blaster I'll get, and commandoes do seem like a trooper that could be prone to weapons losses and exchanges...

Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time we have not seen any customization of the Endor donut that is similar to the customization of the pilot helmets. The only thing we put on them is the sticker with the symbol, as seen in the films (I have extras of these Sid, so I'll get it to you).

I would have to say "no" to customization (e.g. painting, lettering) at this point; cards are okay because they can be removed for your application pictures, but I don't think your character would want to be wearing them in the heat of battle. Shocked
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real customization would be in the weathering... perhaps a dent or something, but I must agree with Donna.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*tear* Oh well, at least the removable cards make muster! And of COURSE I'd wear them in battle! Trademark man, trademark! The stormies and scouts must know it was the Idiot what got em'. (In case you didn't get that, the cards would be an Idiot's Array, for the hilarity.) Well, good to know all of this in advance. Out of curiosity, if I were to, oh, say, get a second donut or make a whole second helmet at some later date, would it be acceptable to put my hashes/aurabesh on that one so long as I kept the first of Formal requirement?

BTW Thanks in advance on the sticker Donna! THough in my insanity I wonder if it might be worth the trouble to paint the symbols straight on instead, so they can be weathered with the rest of the paint. *ponders this* Good thing I'm giving myself time to ponder this in advance, I guess short funds are a blessing in disguise, huh? lol

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weathered my sticker. Using some sand paper, an X-acto knife and wash of some thinned out black paint.

I think my helmet's more "beat up" than anyone else's in my Base. Some people are afraid to try much weathering, but I think it makes things look more "real".

If you can do it right.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... that should be interesting. I haven't done a spot of weathering in my life. Of course, be the nutcase I am I MUST weather all costumes/uniforms appropriately. I should find something to practice on... Maybe I ought to weather something easy to fix before I do the donut, in case I mess up. Blaster? *shrug*

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weathering is my favorite part of making props or helmets. I think it's fun. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't done any weathering before I did mine either, but I'm happy with how mine came out.

For dents, just grab a heat-gun/hairdryer/lighter/match (in order of my persornal prefrence) and a stick (I used a chopstick) and heat up the plastic, and just push in with the stick. The heat gun or dryer works well for big dents, the lighter/matches work better for smaller ones (but you have to be more careful)

For painting, I painted the whole thing silver a couple times, masked the dents with some Vaseline, painted it green, then took some steel wool/fine grit sandpaper to the edges, revealing the silver and black underneath.

You can weather the sticker with an x-acto knife (what I did) and paint if you want.

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have your first costume approved as Formal, you can have a second helmet for Informal. Smile
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don´t worry about the weathering part. if it doesn´t look good: paint over and start again. If you have 6 or 26 layers of paint won´t matter if the result is good.

Agree with GJ, make a second helmet...and go wild on it! Razz
Sid Manroon ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks guys! Oh, one other thing. I noticed the formal requirements include a blaster. The only way I could find to get a Rebel Assault Rifle is the set of Airsoft conversion kits that one guy is doing, unfortunately I don't have cash for one just now, and probably won't untill May or June. What would the next best option for me to do be if I can't get the Assault Rifle? I know I could always scratch build an E-11... but is there anything else that would work well? I have an original toy DL-44 from 77, and one from Jedi, but I figure the stickers and solid gray/black color knock those out of the running. Any other good looking blasters I can get made/bought for cheap that fit for a commando?

Jedi-W (Henrik Waldedal)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make your own conversion of a soft air gun. I know there´s a few out there.

Check out my conversion: http://hem.bredband.net/waldedal/EndorRebel.htm
(scroll to the bottom).
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:

I would have to say "no" to customization (e.g. painting, lettering) at this point; cards are okay because they can be removed for your application pictures, but I don't think your character would want to be wearing them in the heat of battle. Shocked

I concur...

Sid Manroon wrote:
Sweet! Thanks guys! Oh, one other thing. I noticed the formal requirements include a blaster. The only way I could find to get a Rebel Assault Rifle is the set of Airsoft conversion kits that one guy is doing, unfortunately I don't have cash for one just now, and probably won't untill May or June. What would the next best option for me to do be if I can't get the Assault Rifle?

There was one Endor Trooper in a screen capture with an E-11 Stormtrooper blaster...(probably taken from a downed Stormtrooper ...lol)
so...
you could just buy a Hasbro Stormtrooper Blaster (out now in white I think) and just paint it - just as a temporary thing..

Jim will probably still have kits come May and June as his molds are holding up nicely...so as long as the molds hold up...he can make a few more kits...

I am not a big weathering person..
my stuff usually gets pretty beat up on its own.....
I am generally pretty clumsy...and have 10 thumbs...
so my things get dropped and kicked around pretty good..and pretty often...lol....

the only thing I was REALLY careful of was my original all resin Endor Rifle...I treated that with kid gloves...and I broke it several times anyway..

Rolling Eyes

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: