Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9475fea06ed85953f635b1a056d0a069Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightsaber belt mounting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Lightsaber belt mounting? Reply with quote

I know most lightsabers have a Covertec clip or a D ring to attach them to a belt but what would I do to attach a MR Yoda to my belt without damaging the function of the saber? I plan to duel wield and would like the ability to use a free hand from time to time so if anyone knows how to rig a MR yoda to a belt that would be great.

If anyone is really wondering why I use a MR yoda and not a Luke is simply, I am only 5' tall and a Luke would but far to big for someone of my stature. (plus I can make the 2 yodas double sided at any given time lol)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the very same question about the "holding system" for the Ceremonial Jedi outfit just approved!!!

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to be for a costume? Or just for the heck of it? Is it a stock Yoda saber with the blade permanently attached? The type of Jedi costume would dictate the belt hanging method you need to use, if you want it to be formal. Though you might not care if it's Informal, since your Jawa costume is already Formal.

The only thing I can think of is to take out the battery back, drill and tap a hole and screw a D-ring or Covertec knob to the hilt above the threads of the pommel cap.

You'd have to make sure the screw didn't protrude to into the hilt so that it won't interfere with the battery pack.

Did Yoda use the Force to hold his saber on his belt?
Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a good trick, I will try that. I was hoping to find a way that would hold it closer to the blade, like near the toggle switch so the tip won't drag on the ground (yes I am THAT short) it is a stock MR yoda and as far as I know, you cannot convert them due to hilt length, But I have been known to be wrong before. The costume is for a formal OR Jedi. I may just have to submit the costume without a way of holding the saber, then get inventing with something to hold the second saber...like maybe something similar to how Solo's caller is held on his belt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to convert a Yoda to a removable blade st-up...it's somewhat difficult....and it will be getting even easier soon, as TheCustomSabershop is working on a Yoda conversion kit.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I have 2 empty yoda hilts that I could upgrade myself, if I don't want sound.

Maybe I will just hang a empty hilt from my belt and them put a covertec clip part up where I need it...since I wont have to worry about electronics.
Master Teras (Rob Gorski)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry Qui-gon Jinn's CE Lightsaber hilt and I did not like the plastic clip and I also have Anakin's (ROTS) FX lightsaber that had the blade removed and is set-up now w/ a detectable blade, so I was in need of finding a way to mount/carry it on my belt (didn't trust the plastic convert) So I was given a site and it was the most helpful, Great prices, Fast delivery, and best of fixed the issue.... Check out www.thecustomsabershop.com

I got the Covertec Clip for $11.99 and I ordered four Machined button for Covertec clip (polished aluminum) for $2.50 each to install on my FX sabers to give them a better look and the are very heavy duty and look great. They also have many other clips, I hope this is some help to you and what your looking for.... I'm sure they will be of great help to you.

[/url][url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wearing a robe, then maybe you could hang the FX-saber in your armpit. It does normally not show, and the blade is normally not in the way as long as you don't try to sit down.
I used a belt over the opposite shoulder and a covertec clip. I know that is not exactly canon (but it is prequel-EU !), but maybe there are other ways.
If you learn to turn around, unhook and ignite the saber in one fluid motion, then that could make a great effect. Smile
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grampy-Wan used a mirror hanger from the hardware store and a sheet metal screw... he drilled a hole in the hilt on the side...

However, his hilt is empty! If you're doing this to a full saber, take the battery pack out first... and check to make sure your screw is short enough to slide the battery pack back inside!

Alternative method might be to use epoxy for metal to attach the hanger...

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld might work for that, though I've never tried to hang any weight off of something I've JB Welded onto something else.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone show me, or tell me how a saber is attached with a D Ring? I'm interested in adding one to my belt, but I just can't find a reference!
I will have a full saber with a non-removable blade, but I want to attach my other empty hilt to my belt.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you haven't noticed that Luke and Ben have hooks on their belts in the OT?

If you want a movie canon type, you can get one here: http://www.saberbelt.com/OTSaberHook.html

Or there are other types of clips you can us that will hold a D-ring.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where I can get a saber hook not online? I need to get it tomorrow, and I wonder if any hardware stores carry something similar?
I just don't have the time to order online.
Not the covertech, I'm looking for the metal hook.

Thanks!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tia-Linn wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a saber hook not online? I need to get it tomorrow, and I wonder if any hardware stores carry something similar?
I just don't have the time to order online.
Not the covertech, I'm looking for the metal hook.

Thanks!

The hook in the picture in my post above is from Ace Hardware, it's a key ring hook...
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a more canon one, if you want, in the future at http://www.saberbelt.com/ .

He carries the one like what Luke, Vader and Obi-wan used in the OT. These do require you do punch 2 holes in your belt, though. They do come with the appropriate mounting hardware, too, but it's not pictured.

I've made a Luke RoTJ belt with one of these and they are are very nice, and strong.

They are kind of pricey with the shipping, but they are a must have if you are doing one of the OT Face Characters. You can, of course, use something different with a Generic Jedi. Key ring hooks work, if you don't mind having to push in the top if the clip every time you want to unclip your saber. At least if it's this one, like I bought years ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: