About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=78dfd1098a8c2e07f38c338ddb25b60bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WonderCon 2009 Feb. 27 - Mar. 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: WonderCon 2009 Feb. 27 - Mar. 1 Reply with quote

I apologize for the huge delay in writing up this mission report. The CO just needed a big break after all the WonderCon excitement and had other things to catch up on!

--------------------
WonderCon 2009 Mission Report

This year San Francisco’s WonderCon 2009 was held in Moscone Center February 27th - March 1st. The convention is hosted by Comic-Con International – the same folks who put together San Diego Comic-Con. Despite the tough economic times, the attendance rate at this convention continued to boom with roughly over 29,000 people in attendance – making this the West Coast’s second largest pop-culture convention of the year. Once again, the Rebel Legion had a fantastic showing with members from Endor Base, Sunrider Base, Kessel Base, and Canadian Base joining in on all of the fun!

Star Wars fans were in for a special treat this year with a rare appearance by both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher signing for Official Pix. The Rebel Legion was honored to help with autograph line duty all three days of the convention along with the 501st. A huge thank you goes out to Karen Katich (Kitfox) for coordinating the volunteer efforts on behalf of both the Rebel Legion and the 501st. Eugene Shim (Dork Vader) was impressed with the camaraderie and “…how well the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion worked in partnership.”

501st & Rebel Legion Working Together!
CLICK TO ENLARGE

At times the line duty was challenging, with volunteers being responsible for keeping lookie lous and photographers at bay, keeping various autograph lines separated, and informing autograph seekers about obtaining a pre-paid ticket in advance. Line monitors often functioned as photographers too!

Line Monitor/Photographer Sister Sola
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Sister Sola and Mark Hamill
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Mark Hamill was in great spirits all weekend, taking the time to chat with each and every fan and sharing many fun anecdotes. Carrie Fisher appeared delighted on Saturday as she was inducted as the first Honorary Rebel Cheerleader. Jessica Muchow (Jeslyn), Kathy Sirmont (Kay_Dee) and Joan Belcinski (Docrichsgirl) presented Ms. Fisher with a plaque and a special Spirit Stick made by Jessica. The Cheerleaders then lead the crowd in a round of “Give me a C! Give me an A! Give me an R!... Yay Carrie!” Carrie showed her appreciation by thanking each cheerleader one by one with a kiss on the cheek.

Rebel Cheerleaders induct Carrie Fisher
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Yay Carrie!
CLICK TO ENLARGE

In addition to Mark and Carrie, there were many other Star Wars and Lucasflim guests including Daniel Logan, Ray Park, Matthew Wood, David Acord, Anthony Forrest, Don Bies, C. Andrew Nelson, Bonnie Burton, Steve Sansweet, Mary Fraklin, John Knoll (From ILM) and Dave Filoni. Several Star Wars artists were in attendance as well including Matt Busch, Tom Hodges, and Katie Cook. Daniel Logan was always good for a laugh. One memorable moment caught by Cassandra (Sister Sola) was Daniel having his forehead autographed by Carrie Fisher! To sum up something Dave Filoni said during Steve Sansweet’s presentation, it seemed that members of Lucasfilm decided to make an effort to support their home town convention this year, and Northern California Star Wars fans truly were thankful!

Daniel Logan gets Carrie Fisher's Autograph
CLICK TO ENLARGE

On the fan club front, The Rebel Legion and San Francisco Fan Force teamed up once again with a joint “Star Wars” booth presentation co-hosting a charity raffle benefiting The Boys and Girls Clubs of San Francisco. We had many wonderful prizes donated by our Rebel Legion members, as well as cardboard standees from Advanced Graphics, A limited edition Commander Gree Mighty Mugg by Anne Neumann and Steve Sansweet at Rancho Obi-Wan, and two limited edition Star Wars bicycles from the Lucasfilm Licensing Archives courtesy of Mary Franklin. In addition, as a thank you for the volunteer work done by the 501st and Rebel Legion over the weekend, Official Pix gave us four Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher autographs to raffle off. In the end we raised 647 dollars for the Boys and Girls Clubs. Thanks again to everyone from the Rebel Legion, Fan Force and 501st for supporting such a worthy cause which helps the children in our community. In addition to the raffle, the Rebel Legion had lots of fun schwag to give away including Clone Wars mini-posters, temporary tattoos, trading cards, and orange rebel fortune cookies ordered by Kathy (Kay_Dee) with sayings like “Let the Wookiee Win,” “May the force be with you, always,” “People like you because you’re a scoundrel,” “Do or do not. There is no try,” and “The force runs strong in your family.”

Kimber and Dbuck man the table
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Lucky Raffle Winner Anne
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Another highlight of the convention was the first joint 501st & Rebel Legion dinner, held on Friday evening at Jillian’s. Former Golden Gate Garrison CO Ed Karl recognized that many Rebel Legion members were also a part of the 501st and suggested the idea of making this year’s dinner a combined group effort. Rebel Legion XO Matt Tolosa and Base CO Kathy (Kay Dee) agreed this was a wonderful way to be all inclusive and formally invite friends from the Rebel Legion to be a part of the festivities. Matt helped by scouting out the restaurant options near the convention center, Ed took care of all of the final arrangements, and many members of the Rebel Legion and 501st contributed by sponsoring dinners for the largest number of VIP/Lucasfilm guests ever in attendance at the annual dinner. With roughly 120 RSVPs, our combined Star Wars Legions occupied the entire first floor of Jillian's! Legion members from both clubs also donated many toys and collectibles to the charity dinner raffle, some of the biggest prizes being a Star Wars Bicycle donated by the Lucasfilm Licensing Archives and a Stewart Comgraph (3D Portrait). Thanks to Barbara Arbues (Barbie) for coordinating the raffle which raised $300.00 for Foster a Dream.

The 501st gave out several awards during the dinner, one of which was an honorary membership for Dave Filoni. In return, Dave gave us a special treat; he unveiled a new clone helmet designed for Commander Wolfe which will be seen in an upcoming episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Dave explained that Wolfe was one of his favorite characters and he always wanted to see him in armor.

Dave Filoni unveils commander Wolfe hemet
CLICK TO ENLARGE

All in all, it was a great event and everyone seemed to have a great time at the dinner. Steve Sansweet was spotted dancing to the music provided by the live band, a few others took advantage of the billiards tables, and the VIP guests were treated to a great evening! Cassandra (Sister Sola) said she thought the joint dinner, “...was really awesome and I hope a sign of things to come at all the big cons.”

Jeslyn calls the shots!
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Our annual Rebel Legion photo shoot was a big success again this year. A total of 34 Rebel Legion members attended the group photo this year, many being new members who discovered us at WonderCon 2008. R2 Builders Gerard Fajardo and Tiny were kind enough to bring their droids to our gathering of Rebels just before whisking away to the Droid Builders panel. We were also joined by a special surprise guest, Blair Butler of G4’s Attack of the Show! Two segments aired on March 3rd & 4th featuring Rebel Legion members and our photo shoot. You can view the reports at G4tv.com
Part 1: http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/37032/Blair-Butler-at-Wondercon.html
Part 2: http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/37053/Blair-Butler-at-Wondercon-pt-2.html

Rebel Legion Group Photo
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Blair Butler films a segment for Attack of the Show
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Rebel Legion Members Participating in 2009 Photo Shoot:

Dork Vader, Quinlan Vos, Docrich, Vladric Yavin, newjedigirl, Crazy Old Wizard, RunAmuk, Owkrules, Master Mina, DerekM1767, Dbuck, Kimber, Darkskywalker (+Roberto Junior), Thomas C, JedHead, Trooperdad, Docrichsgirl, Nebelwerfer, Anasian Skywalker, ObiJuan, Elmo, Stormtrooper1697 , Mother Tusken, LizardJedi , Sister Sola, Taeriel, Leia1138, Barbie, Kay_Dee, Jeslyn, jschlosser, Ciscotiger, Skid Solo (Photographer)

Other members spotted at the convention:

Phavorianne (as Ep I Padme), Dark Windu (as a Jedi), Jaina Solo (as an X-wing Pilot), Ernie, Jonsterr, Kitfox (as Maris Brood), Saberforge (as a Jedi), Nas-Ric Tenretni, Obi1kenny, SiaLan Wezz, Scottrooper, Twi'lek Pam, wampire, Kai Vandekar, Vandor Theric, PrincessSolo (as Slave Leia), Hansgirl3, Bothan Jedi (with his R2)

Of course, WonderCon would not be complete without the annual Saturday night masquerade. Congratulations go out to Rebel Legion member Steve Simmons (PIXELPUNK10010), his daughter Anna and his student Basil for the best re-creations from the Star Wars universe. Congratulations also go out to Carolyn (Kai Vandekar) for her troop’s win for Best Performance with their Star Trek “NKOTB” skit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCdTilIEco

Steve Simmons & Family - win best Star Wars recreation
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Carolyn (Kai Vandekar) and team win best performance
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Thanks to everyone who came out to support the Rebel Legion at this convention and helped with booth set-up, table duty, raffle donations, autograph line duty – the list goes on! The convention was a success because of the team effort put forth by our members; you are the ones who make the Rebel Legion one of the best clubs to be a part of and keep the fun times rolling! We look forward to seeing everyone again at WonderCon 2010!

PHOTO LINKS:
Kay Dee's Pictures
JedHead's Photos
Sister Sola's photos
Scott & Jessica's Photos
Dork Vader's Photos Password: tk9820
Quinaln Vos' Photos
LizardJedi's Photos
dbuck's photos
Star Wars Blog
Golden Gate Garrison Photos
Flikr WonderCon Pool
Eurobeat King Cosplay Photos Day 2 and Day 3

---------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL THANKS FROM KAY DEE

- To Karen (Kitfox) for coordinating the line duty for Mark and Carrie as well as arranging for Official Pix to donate autographs to our charity raffle.

- To Matt (JedHead) for being the steady 'pro' that he is at setting up convention tables, scouting out Jillians for our joint Legion dinner, and rounding up some of our great raffle prizes.

- To Scott (RunAmuk) for putting together a fantastic video slide show for our booth.

- To Jessica (Jeslyn) for setting up the Rebel Cheerleader presentation to Carrie Fisher.

- To Alison (Taeriel) for doing all of those last minute costume binder text updates!

- To Cassandra (Sister Sola) for all of the help putting together the beautiful gift baskets for the raffle, and just helping me in general with all of the preparation we had to do at my house for the con.

- To Kim (Kimber) - Wow, Kim is one of our newest members and she really held down the fort nearly all day on Saturday at the Rebel Legion table. I believe she was there for 4-5 hours! There were a few shifts some of our members accidentally missed and she didn't leave the table unmanned. For being a newbie she got up to speed right off the bat and sold a ton of raffle tickets too!

- To all of our members - I know I must be forgetting someone! Really, everyone helped a great deal at the booth, and our presence at WonderCon was a success because of every single member.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Wed May 29, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. great photos.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to topping it next year!

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:

Somehow, I don't think it's possible!

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
JedHead wrote:

"Hey, its me!"

Wink

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
Kay_Dee wrote:
JedHead wrote:

"Hey, its me!"

Wink

Sorry, I just meant I don't know we'll have guests like Mark and Carrie next year. And personally, I only bleed so much. I've given all I got. I can't do any more to top it.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you didn't hear about Ewan and Harrison coming next year? Wink

Seriously, I know what you meant, Kathy.

I know its hard work, but maybe for next year, we can even split responsibilities up between more people in the base to ease your nervous system. Very Happy

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
You mean you didn't hear about Ewan and Harrison coming next year? Wink

Seriously, I know what you meant, Kathy.

I know its hard work, but maybe for next year, we can even split responsibilities up between more people in the base to ease your nervous system. Very Happy

I delegated about as much as I could. You have to have at least one person willing to act as manager and be responsible for the table (making sure shifts are being filled, people are hopefully semi up-to-speed on how to work things like the raffle - etc). And there is always so much last minute prep when we have the raffle because we literally don't know all our prizes until a few nights before the con and I'm scrambling to make all the signs and divide up the prizes so things can run smoothly at the con. Plus I'm running around before the con trying to find gift baskets at under 5 dollars each (Alison helped me a bit this year with that, but I was shopping for them too), buy all the bags and ribbons and stuffing materials, buy any extra display materials we need for the booth (paper to print up large signs, binders, frames...) It's just a lot of work and only so much that I could realistically delegate. If we didn't have the raffle my life would be 10X easier. But people really like the raffle so I'm always torn every year.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice , great event

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: