About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d52666d5958b68ffc9e640c6a08e58f5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Free Comic Book Day trooping opportunities 5/2/2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truc Llifnats (Curt Stanfill)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Free Comic Book Day trooping opportunities 5/2/2009 Reply with quote

Sarah pointed out that the comic for Free Comic Book Day is about Obi-wan and that the event the 501st has in KC that day is just wanting 501st troops. I would suugest that someone in the KC area start calling comic shops there and checking to see if they would like the RL to show up in support of this. I can hook up the RL to troop in any of these towns if you would like.

Alton, IL
Chesterfield, Mo
Glen Carbon, IL
O'Fallon, IL
O'Fallon, Mo
St Peters, MO
St. Charles, MO
South County, MO
Columbia, MO
Jefferson City, MO

Anyone want to do any of these cities, let me know and I'll hook you up with the contact info. Smile
Rebel Legion
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not going to get scolded for 'poaching' by contacting the shop in town that's already got you guys coming?

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
We're not going to get scolded for 'poaching' by contacting the shop in town that's already got you guys coming?

I figurerd there has to be more than one shop in the KC area. I was thinking that someone could contact another comic book store. It wouldn't make sense to contact the same store since there already is an event there. Basiclly it would be cold calling the other stores in the KC area and offereing the RL services. KC is bigger than STL and I know we have at least 30 comic book stores here so there should be at least that many in KC. The 70th has had to turn down events on FCBD becasue we don't have enough troops in the STL area to cover the requests.
Rebel Legion
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truc Llifnats wrote:
gandalfbmg wrote:

I figurerd there has to be more than one shop in the KC area. I was thinking that someone could contact another comic book store. It wouldn't make sense to contact the same store since there already is an event there. Basiclly it would be cold calling the other stores in the KC area and offereing the RL services. KC is bigger than STL and I know we have at least 30 comic book stores here so there should be at least that many in KC. The 70th has had to turn down events on FCBD becasue we don't have enough troops in the STL area to cover the requests.

Actually, we've got only 4 or 5 comic shops that I'm aware of, and three of them are a local 'chain'... maybe more if you count a toy shop that sell a lot of comics and Vintage Stock stores... This is a VERY geek-unfriendly town, if you wonder why we struggle to get members around here outside of the die-hard core... (and unfortunately The Lou is bigger than KC too in terms of population...)

Anyway, I did contact my buddy who runs one of the Vintage Stock stores, and they (for the second year) aren't doing FCBD any more... My next choice contacts (the chain place) has frequently turned down costumed help when offered in the past because they say it's too risky for getting them in trouble with the liscence holders (I guess Marvel doesn't like folks dressing up as Spider Man at comic shops they've heard?)... my next connection is I know a guy (through HotA) who knows a comic shop guy, and it just so happens to be the owner of the shop that's having the 70th Wink ... My last contact is the guy who runs the collectable toy store, where comics is kind of his "I do it because it makes me enough money to sell toys, which is what really care about". I planned to talk to him at PCC about us coming if nothing else presents itself, but from the last time I talked to him he didn't seem to get excited about FCBD... I know there's maybe one other comic shop left so I may have to do a 'cold contact'; But that mean's not only cold, but the palce is in JoCo (ugh, sorry you JoCo folks, but ugh - it's a long-ol' trek for us way-northlanders).

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I was on record as pursuing this, 'showing my work' so noone thinks I'm simply expecting someone else to do the legwork for me. I'm working on it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I misspoke: 70th is doing Pop Culture Comix, which is NOT the place Doug knows the owner (it is the place Brad and Mike worked with back in the early days though...); Doug knows the folks at Elite... So our KC choices are go for Elite out in JoCo w/ Doug's 'inside guy', or a cold contact at Clints in Midtown... Any strong preferences one way or the other?

oba-winn8403 (Ben Watkins)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the last comic book shop of Columbia MO no longer exists. It's still in the phone book, but they no longer have a shop anymore.

Hastings Books in Jefferson City is participating though. I can contact them and see if they'd want any RL to show up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oba-winn8403 wrote:
Unfortunately, the last comic book shop of Columbia MO no longer exists. It's still in the phone book, but they no longer have a shop anymore.

The Slackers CD's and Games in Columbia is participating in FCBD.
Rebel Legion
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh, I hadn't realized that. I'll give them a call as well. Thanks for the heads up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oba-winn8403 wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I hadn't realized that. I'll give them a call as well. Thanks for the heads up!

If your wanting to do something there? send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with their Marketing guy. Smile He'll help get it set up for you.
Rebel Legion
Darth Venomous (Jamie S)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Pulp Fiction comics in Lee's Summit. I think there doing FCBD, I know they have in the past
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with the Marketing and Promotions director (Luke) for Slackers CD and Games, and he is excited to support our group!

So, I need to find out if any RL members would want to come to Columbia to the Slackers store (which is in the heart of downtown, right where a lot of people walk around...it is very visible). Luke also said he has a store in Jefferson City if we get enough members to split between Columbia and JC.

Having said that, is there anyone who would be interested in coming down to Columbia for FCBD? I work at a hotel in town, and may be able to round up some discounted rates if people want/need to stay the night. I will ask Luke if Slackers would be willing to allow us use of their back room for changing, if not my house.

Bart: If this needs to be made into an interest topic, I understand. I am still kind of learning the official process, and you can move this to wherever it is needed.
Jale Darett (Dennis Bain)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bart, I've spoke with the owner of that "Collectible Toy Store" you mentioned, his main cncern with FCBD is the fact that they charge him a bit f cash to participate, and with a small store like his it can be a risky investment for him, I put the word out to him that I was looking for a store to host a couple of Mando's but honestly we wouldn't mind sharing the spotlight with a couple of Jedi/RFT's/etc...
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
(I guess Marvel doesn't like folks dressing up as Spider Man at comic shops they've heard?)...

i've never heard that , in fact quite the opposite . marvel , dc , dark horse, image, ect... love it . in fact they see it as free advertising .they only ask people do kid friendly costumes , and act appropriately (not be lewd , drunk, ect). example vamperella = not very kid friendly , superman = very kid friendly .
hopefully i'll be in chicago this year for fcbd hang'n with some of my "super friends "
some store owners like it (moslyt 'cause it draws in bussines)
while other don't care so much for it .
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben: Since I'm not aware of any 501st or MM activity in Columbia for FCBD, how about doing it as a joint op since there's not a lot of RL folks besides you and Brandon (who's also MM) down that way... If you're point for it get all the details put it up here, and if you need help getting the word out to the others let me know... Unfortunately I don't think we're personally gonna be able to do any traveling then...

Dennis: Glad someone knows what I'm talking about Wink If he doesn't do it I understand, so I'll talk to him at PCC and see if he can give us a firm committment...

If that one isn't going to work, Jamie, if I do the one in LSMO instead of one of the other's down in JoCo, you gonna 'make it worth my while' and help me out Wink

And Karl: I don't know what the comic company's ACTUALLY think (I was surprised to hear that too, knowing how LucasFilm works with groups like us)... I think maybe they just were using it as an excuse to get us to go away... needless to say, I've not spent any money in any of their stores since then...

Darth Venomous (Jamie S)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say if you come out, I'll try to wrangle up what I can, I can guarantee 1 jawa, maybe 1 mando (if it's done, or it might be guaranteed 2 Jawas) and maybe a few others.
When is FCBD, by the way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: