About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b7e5aeb7205aa5726b3c7574cd42276aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

US Navy RFT shirts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: US Navy RFT shirts Reply with quote

The resources I have seen show that the shirts were a military type chambray work shirt.
I found this today at another site in a size that will fit me.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/CA1102/Authentic_US_Navy_style_Chambray_Cotton_Work_Shirt

opinions on this shirt?
thanks!
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this shirt is acceptable. Just remember that you need to buy 2 - one to wear and one to make the bib.

The US Navy has discontinued using the blue workshirt and has gone to the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) fatigues like the other branches use. So these shirts will become harder and harder to find.

Another acceptable shirt is the blue oxford button-down sold at Wal-Mart; they're about $13-$15 each. I also saw another button-down dress shirt at JC Penney last night that would work.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exxxxxxcellent!
my local WalMarts only sell the very light blue with white stitching button down shirts...seems they all have the same stock locally...so for me that is out.
I will get this Navy shirt with a second for the bib today.

thanks!
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have two of the chambray shirts from Dickies.com which work rather well. They need to be lightened a little, but they look good. Also, Dickies wear is comfortable and stands up to a lot of abuse, thus will last for a long time.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, those are way too dark.

I used to have access to the navy exchange online, but don't anymore. if I did, I'd order them and get them for you. Sorry. Sad

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my issue with the Dickies shirt is the white stitching.
All of the Dickies blue work shirts I have ever seen have white stithhing on them. the RFTs around here do not have white stitching so if I go to walmart and get that shirt I am going to pretty much stick out like a sort thumb, wihle the RFTs are wearing some Havanero brand shirts that seem to no longer be made and look extremely close to USNavy shirts.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy solution... dye. It may not seem like an easy solution for everyone, but it is a good one. I have worn Dickies for a long time... heck, I am just now having to replace a pair of pants I try to demolish when working security... I've had them for three years!

My solution for the Dickies problem is to either use a running dye to lighten the shirt to the right color (and at the same time cause the color to run into the stitching) or simply bleach the shirt white and re-dye it the correct color (thus dying the stitching as well.

It may not seem like the easy path, but a Dickies shirt will last you years with the proper care.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Navy workshirts DO have white stitching; at least mine do.

Sportsman's Guide used to have some French military air force shirts on their site and, except for the epulates on the shoulders, seemed to be a good match as well.

I would recommend asking people in your base where they got their shirts. Although even the real Navy shirts came in different shades:

Don't forget the check out the RFT Tutorial and the "Where to Get" resource thread in this forum.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the cheapskate in me, but I got both of my shirts for my rft from goodwill. I kept an eye out there and after a few weeks found 2 shirts of the same shade. both had embroidered logos on the pocket, but that didn't matter because it would be covered with the bib. And I only needed to find one in my size since the other was just going to be cut up for the bib. Both shirts cost me $7 total.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find...
I added the link to Tantive...

I have a link there for the larger sizes of XXL and up..
but the place I used to have there as a link for smaller sizes didn't carry any anymore...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diferent colors of the Navy shirts were due to different suppliers at the time. When I was issued mine when I joined I had 2 different colored sets. The colors could also be due to how old the shirts are too or due to washing.
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: RFT shirt Reply with quote

Could I use a light gray shirt for the uniform or doees it have to be the light blue shirt?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RFT shirt Reply with quote

Endorscout64 wrote:
Could I use a light gray shirt for the uniform or doees it have to be the light blue shirt?

Costume standard does say blue... Wink

Required Items:

Accurate Fleet Trooper helmet
Long-sleeve blue workshirt with bib in front (blue chambrey or blue oxford button-down recommended)
Black, collarless vest with pockets (at least 4 pockets are recommended)
Light Grey pants with large cargo pockets
Black mid-calf boots (or suitable substitute, shaft should be 11-13 inches tall; taller boots can have the pants bloused over to appear shorter)
Brown leather/vinyl belt with metal buckle (buckle can be rectangular, oval, or octagon-shaped)

Formal Requirements - Choose One:

(Unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm)

A blaster
A pike weapon
Rank Badge

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have already purchased several shirts from the thrift shop and cut them up to make the RFT shirt, and been told by my local base guru they are too light. These were both work shirts and formal dress shirts. The "preferred" shirt is no longer marketed, apparently it was a one time only thing from JC penny. Even the company website no longer seems to work.

This is what I find frustrating. I have read read and re-read the CRL and it says blue work shirt, but those I purchase are either too light, too dark, too blue or too grey.

Volund, any suggestions on brand and color of dye? all my efforts at dye have failed miserably and come out some really odd colors.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shirts in the link above do appear to be too dark...
that is an easy fix as the shirts are 100% cotton and you can use
Rit color remover....
the color remover works great...
just keep everything moving in the solution..

I can tell you from personal experience in taking what i think is a very similar shirt for the first run of "Delta Squad" shirts...I ended up leaving the shirts in for 90 minutes...and they came out a bit too light...

I removed the pockets from the shirts first...
and took a pocket out for each 15 minute increment in the color remover...

here is a photo of what the pockets looked like for each 15 minutes in the color remover....

bottom pocket flap is the original color..
top sleeve cuff was the final color - too light...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: