Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b78f991af970b7f764fa67e853af4b0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Republic Jedi Blaster question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a costume judge in here, because I think what he REALLY needs to know is, will his costume be accepted with a blaster before he puts all that work into it Wink

And about the jedi sniper... I was just answering the other guy, and this discussion benefits other people who'll be looking into this inquiry Very Happy

Also to Master Skywalker: I agree! that blasters aren't the Jedi way, and that they should have done more research on Luke especcially... but I also think since a lot of Jedi knowledge was lost at EU point and they weren't as strict about it, most Jedi's didn't use them but there were still flashy Jedi like Wurth Skidder who didn't always go by the rules and whom disagreed with Luke's teachings.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
I think we need a costume judge in here, because I think what he REALLY needs to know is, will his costume be accepted with a blaster before he puts all that work into it Wink

And about the jedi sniper... I was just answering the other guy, and this discussion benefits other people who'll be looking into this inquiry Very Happy

Also to Master Skywalker: I agree! that blasters aren't the Jedi way, and that they should have done more research on Luke especcially... but I also think since a lot of Jedi knowledge was lost at EU point and they weren't as strict about it, most Jedi's didn't use them but there were still flashy Jedi like Wurth Skidder who didn't always go by the rules and whom disagreed with Luke's teachings.

Yes that is why I posted this in hopes to get a LCJ to let me know either way. maybe the LCJ could also tell me if black skinned Iridonians are allowed to be NR Jedi aswell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
Are you limiting it to just the DL-44's, Bryan? How about a custom job, a modified nerf, perhaps (as long as it is tastefully done and looks like it fits in the Star Wars Universe)? How about any of the other various weapons of the Star Wars universe (CDEF's, Blastech's, Merr-Sonn's and so forth)?

Personally, I wouldn't see a Jedi carry anything larger than a pistol - a carbine would be severely stretching, I would think. I an't see a jedi carrying a sniper rifle because the idea of sniping just goes against all that is of the Jedi Code, in my humble opinion.

- Bill

NR Jedi may be approved as Formal if they have a blaster holstered.

A modified nerf good may be approved on a case-by-case basis depending on whether it looks "Star-Warsy" enough. Note that something that would seem too "Earthly" could possibly not be approved.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Master_Skywalker_ wrote:
Grrr, Jedi don't use blasters in my opinion Confused

That's what separates them, a lightsaber is the only weapon they should carry. I've read plenty of EU & "some" writers have given Jedi blasters even Luke when clearly Luke gave up his blaster many many years ago...poor research by the author Mad

but that's my 2c worth Razz

But Master_Skywalker, even NR-Jedi-In-Training Luke Skywalker carried a blaster with him all through ESB and up when he reached Bespin. wink2 He was chasing Stormtroopers in his attempt to rescue Han and Leia and was returning blaster fire. He only holstered it prior to his duel with Vader.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin

Last edited by Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen) on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when he reestablished the Jedi Order, he did allow his Jedi to carry blasters, as well. Both of his nephews and niece did. As did Mara, especially during the war with the Vong. I'm pretty certain Corran never went anywhere without a blaster close by, either... but maybe that was the Corellian in him! Wink

I think it just comes down to the individual choice and whether it fits the character, or not.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryanakin wrote:
Aramys Strael wrote:
Are you limiting it to just the DL-44's, Bryan? How about a custom job, a modified nerf, perhaps (as long as it is tastefully done and looks like it fits in the Star Wars Universe)? How about any of the other various weapons of the Star Wars universe (CDEF's, Blastech's, Merr-Sonn's and so forth)?

Personally, I wouldn't see a Jedi carry anything larger than a pistol - a carbine would be severely stretching, I would think. I an't see a jedi carrying a sniper rifle because the idea of sniping just goes against all that is of the Jedi Code, in my humble opinion.

- Bill

NR Jedi may be approved as Formal if they have a blaster holstered.

A modified nerf good may be approved on a case-by-case basis depending on whether it looks "Star-Warsy" enough. Note that something that would seem too "Earthly" could possibly not be approved.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for as far as an answer. A definite that a blaster as long as it didn't seem too earth, would be approvable. Now there is just the question about the Iridonian skin tone in question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget Kyle Katarn. Wink
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*doh, doh & doh*

Laughing

Bryan, In ESB, Luke didn't know any better, he wasn't even a Jedi Knight at that point, just a kid with his Dad's toy Wink

and as for the others... Corran had a CorSec background & favoured the blaster & yes Luke did allow Jedi to carry blasters...they weren't outlawed, but for the most part they didn't. Remember a Jedi uses his lightsaber mainly in defense...not assination, that is what a blaster would be mainly used for & Luke doesn't subscribe to that theory(except when he assasinated Lumiya but that's another story) *lol*
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I duno, if I were a jedi, I would most certainly have a blaster. And here are 3 reasons why.

1. First and foremost, blasters have a stun setting. I dont see stun anywhere on a lightsaber. If you use a lightsaber on someone, they are pretty much gonna die. You dont live too long with a smoking hole in your torso or a missing limb. But the jedi try to avoid killing where possible, so this is a perfect reason for why a blaster is a useful, if not necessary, piece of jedi equipment.

2. With a blaster, and the force as your ally, you can engage and neutralize enemies at distance. You dont have to wait for to be fired upon and hope you can deflect the blaster bolt back at them.

3. In the heat of combat things can and do go wrong, and you always want to have a back up for your primary weapon. In case the power cell on your lightsaber dies, the lightsaber is knocked out of your hand (or darth maul kicks it down a shute), or if your lightsaber is destroyed. This is why warriors for time imamorial have carried back up weapons. In the pre industrial age they carried knives and dirks in case they lost they're sword/axe/spear. In modern warfare you carry a sidearm in case your primary jams, runs out of ammo, is destroyed ect.

Even samurai, whom the jedi are heavily based on, always carried a backup weapon for they're katana, and often two back ups, a wakisashi and tanto.

The lightsaber is an elegant weapon, from a more civilized time.
corellianfive ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Plenty of people have lost an arm to a Jedi without losing their life- even though Ponda Baba didn't draw again & lost his job, he did live Razz

2.This is true, but usually a Jedi wouldn't make the first aggressive action first. Remember, they are keepers of the peace. When the galaxy wanted to eliminate the Vong from existance, even using Alpha Red, Luke campaigned against it & found a peaceful solution.

3. With the Force as your ally, a Jedi is NEVER disarmed Wink (unless there is a Ylsalamiri nearby) Wink
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Dont you think stunning someone would be preferable to a jedi than taking they're arm?

2. Being able to engage an enemy at distance does not mean that this is the first aggressive move. It means you have being forced into a hostile situation where violence is the only way of restoring order. And the most efficent means of disbaching an enemy could very well be the use of a blaster.

3 If with the force as your ally you can never be disarmed, why do jedi even bother to carry a lightsaber. Oh, because they do need weapons for combat. Well, with that thought in mind wouldn't the jedi mirror every other warrior ever seen throughout history, and carry a backup for they're primary?

The lightsaber is an elegant weapon, from a more civilized time.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this discussion has become awesome...I just wanted to mention that the Tanto's purpose was to take ones life in the event the Samurai lost honor. It wasn't a weapon to do battle with...But the wakisashi most definitely a backup/off-hand weapon.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered if it was possible to make a dual-phase lightsaber where the blade simply stunned or numbed the victim... I bet they did have something like that at least for the younglings since I'm sure 5 year olds with lightsabers are bound to make a few mistakes!

Jawa, I don't see why a black-skinned Iridonian wouldn't be allowed, as their skin colors vary much like twi'leks... unless skin color had some kind of significant meaning like "I'm colored to match the recesses of my very soul", which I don't think they do... Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that there was a power level setting that was one some lightsabers. If memory serves me right, and I am not guaranteeing that it does, I do believe that in dueling exercises, Luke's students typically had their lightsabers in safe mode so no limbs were haced off.

The unfortunate situation where Tenel Ka lost her hand was due to a lightsaber malfunction on her part. I believe they went full active in that exercise because Luke was expecting trouble and needed to get up to some sort of battle-ready status.

So the idea that Youngling only having lightsabers only capable of giving them a stinging jolt does make an awful lot of sense.

But in combat, you really wouldn't want to really be taking the time to dumb down the power level on the lightsaber to render anyone disabled without permanent disfigurement or death, you'd be slaughtered by the enemy. That makes a good compelling argument in favor of a Jedi carrying a blaster.

Like I said, it really should come down to personal preference and if it really fits the character profile an background. In other words, Corran Horn carrying a blaster makes sense due to his CorSec background, or my character Jedi of Aramys Strael. He was in the Rebel military. He rose through the ranks as an officer. So carrying a blaster (side arm) is like second nature to him.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my NR Jedi being a Zabrak it would almost seem fitting to be armed with whatever I could get my hands on, Like a blaster. After all they are a warrior race and would take the added weaponry (IMO)

This debate could go on and on forever with good points from both sides but the one thing to remember his Lucas depicted Luke with a blaster even while training with Yoda and when he left for Bespin so that should be enough to give the blaster the "OK" with NR Jedi. Is it morally right for the old republic Jedi ways? No, but perhaps it is their own misplaced self confidence that lead to their ultimate down fall at the hands of own of their own. The old saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it" well in the case of the Old Republic Jedi order it was obviously broken if all the jedi in the temple and on the councel couldn't foresee the down fall of the republic. This is the same group that is against the use of blasters...I bet if they had them at the battle of geonosis, many Jedi would have lived. Call me crazy but there is some logic in not bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: