About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a034d3d2cae14cafa9835c210d355c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hasbro Rebel Fleet Trooper Dart Gun
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimE2 ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any interest in a solid casting of a slightly modified one? We too are needing about a 1/2 dozen of these things for our fan film. I have my Hasbro blaster than I'm thinking I'll replace the grip with a Sterling one, and extend the back of the tube about 1 inch.

If this sounds like something other folks might want, I can ramp up the production on it.

Things have been delayed a bit on this particular project due to filming scheduling issues.

Thoughts?

Jim
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looky here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180347068456&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Well, Jim..

My opinion.....which is only one voice...
is that as long as the Hasbro version is still out there (though the supply seems to be drying up) even in limited quantities then I am not sure about doing a solid casting.....

One never knows if/when Hasbro will re-release something in new packaging also...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
looky here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180347068456&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Well, Jim..

My opinion.....which is only one voice...
is that as long as the Hasbro version is still out there (though the supply seems to be drying up) even in limited quantities then I am not sure about doing a solid casting.....

One never knows if/when Hasbro will re-release something in new packaging also...

Thats a great deal for $46 for the blaster and shipping. I woudl snatch it up if you can esp since it has been colored and such.
Good Luck
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim --in a way, I'm kinda surprised no one has done this yet. Now, I sincerely hope that Hasbro starts getting these in the stores again soon, but if not... Mad

Now this is just a thought, but would it be possible to make certain parts out of resin, but maybe do a PVC base, just so it's not a 100% solid resin cast? It seems like those are both heavy and very fragile --but I've never carried one myself. just watched others drop them and have parts shatter.

Or are there other materials out there that are a little more wear friendly? I know my JM3 is made out of something that is near unbreakable, and it was rotocast or slush cast. Would that be an option instead of the more brittle resins?

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are shooting for a resin version, why not do one with the 1:1 based off of the movie measurements rather than the smaller Hasbro ones?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My custom-made DH-17 is PVC pipe, wood, and resin. It's a nice mixture of weight and stability. The scope is the only resin piece because it's cast from a real rifle scope. The barrel end piece can be made from a furniture leg.

Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that has posted. Here's what we ran into:

1. The local/regional supply of the Hasbro blasters dried up.
2. The secondary/online market is now pretty expensive compared to what we need, a cheap but good looking prop.
3. We are considering taking the grip assembly off the Hasbro Nerf gun, extending the tube slightly, towards the rear endcap, and then casting these in black resin OR in expanding rigid UEF foam. I think I can get the cost down to around $15. Maybe less.
4. If not modifying the Hasbro, then we can just solid cast them as is, or even make background vac-formed versions as our production just does not have the funds or the time to scratch build or buy any more Hasbro versions.
5. We have no need for them to function.
6. I already have the grip/trigger assembly, and in my opinion is really the big issue I have with this version gun. That, and the endcap is to close to the gip by about an inch.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. It does not sound like there's much interest in a run. Thats cool.

Jim
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I will do is send out a special notice to all of the folks at the "Tantive" Yahoo Group ....

there may be some members of the Yahoo Group that are still working on finishing their RFT and are out there looking for a blaster..
and just haven't said anything...

couldn't hurt...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I think there might be interest... just give it time. I have seen a lot of people run into issues with the Hasbro nerf DH-17 being more difficult to find. And for our Canadian friends, downright impossible since Amazon won't ship there.

And this affects a lot more than just RFTs... X-Wing pilots and even some Imperials use the DH-17.

I do kinda like the idea of just a vac formed blaster, similar to the Cushman larger ones. If someone were to do that, I think it could easily be filled in with a section of PVC for rigidity along the long end, and then filled with expanding foam to fill it up a bit more. It would work fine, plus could clean up some of the issues with the "Star Wars" logo being on the side and the shortness of the grip end.

If you were to make it out of thin styrene, it shouldn't cost too much or be too difficult.

I have a hunch that if you make it, people will buy it.

But that's just me....

Endorscout64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested is this topic. I am working on my kit, and been in email conversation with TK560.com with a helmet order. I have a blaster already, but I don't mind having a spare.

Tim
AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were done in semi rigid rubber with an armature & the armature wouldn’t have to be anything more than common thread rod. That would be awesome and I would certainly be in for one.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMP wrote:
If it were done in semi rigid rubber with an armature & the armature wouldn’t have to be anything more than common thread rod. That would be awesome and I would certainly be in for one.

I am curious how easy it would be to do something similar to the Hyperfirm blasters by making a mold and then using the Rubber Silicone reinforced down the middle with a wood dowel for rigidity.
Is that even possible?
JimE2 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phyllis, and thanks to everyone with their ideas. Right now I see several options, one is a simple solid casting of the as-is Hasbro blaster. That would be cheap and easy to do. Secondly, a customized version, that is more accurate. Thirdly, a really affordable lightweight 'cushman' style vacuum formed version. OR a 'Kit' built on a PVC pipe.

Good ideas everyone, time for me to think what is doable.

Jim
AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivannd wrote:

I am curious how easy it would be to do something similar to the Hyperfirm blasters by making a mold and then using the Rubber Silicone reinforced down the middle with a wood dowel for rigidity.
Is that even possible?

Well if he were making molds for solid resin, it would be the same process.
I didn't want to use the term "hyperfirm" since that is a proprietary formula. But there are other pourable semi rigid rubbers available.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
a davenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion about the blaster not being solid with some hollow parts to save on weight.

I have a solid resin blaster and it looks good and haven't had any problems with it, except the weight. Airlines charge for every ounce of weigh for checked baggage and anything that looks like a blaster MUST be checked. BTW, Greyhound limits you to 50 lbs per bag, too, or they charge an extra fee.

Would I be too greedy to hope that some light and sound could be put in? Perhaps cannibalized from some other toy blaster?

At CIV I got into into a hallway confrontation of toy blasters with a stormie and he had light and sound and I had nothing, leaving me with serious blaster-envy.

Your focus determines who you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: