Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1673de7200dbc7fdb002e118c6b74c65Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Slave Leia costume advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these boots while browsing through payless and I first thing I thought were "Slave Leia Boots", ya think? Slouchy in the shaft of the boot can be de-slouched

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=071692050&productId=65510&subCatId=cat10045&catId=cat10088&lotId=071692&category=&catdisplayName=Womens+

I'm going to only get them after the season if they go on clearance, but if these are ideal I thought I'd share Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but they look too high.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
Interesting, but they look too high.

Right, I think any boot you get you would have to cut to shape anyway because of the shape of the boot topper

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're probably right.

Since I don't have the body for this costume, I've never researched any of the details.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see those working, even though the color may be a tad too much on the brown side, but that's no biggie. As for it being too high, at least you'd have a little more material to use for the bra after you cut them for the toppers.

Wink

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've always wondered if they were gray or brown and I've seen both... and I have seen a TON of gray suede flat boots like this floating around this year, and this is the first brown one.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to Kay_Dee's tutorial pics, they seem to be a grayish-brown or brownish-gray.

Wink

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Yeah, I've always wondered if they were gray or brown and I've seen both... and I have seen a TON of gray suede flat boots like this floating around this year, and this is the first brown one.

The ones from the movie that were on display at the exhibit were not really any shade of gray at all. They were in the taupe family in my Pantone Guide. (the color next to "Stucco" in the guide is "warm taupe" for example). Definitely not gray. If I had no other alternative, I would have purchased they grayish brown Steve Madden boots. But the boots at the exhibit were not gray. Not really a dark brown either. A beigey taupe color for sure Smile

Yes, any boot you buy has to be cut down. But tall is better because your topper has to come up pretty high in back! And yes, any of those slouchy boots can be de-slouched, basically as I recall, they look slouchy because the lining is shorter than the outer layer. So it causes it to look scrunched. You have to kind of cut the top totally open, and realign the lining. You may even need to add some fabric into the top of the lining to bring it up to the correct height in back.

IMHO, the Payless boots are darker and browner than the 'real' movie boot. But are probably close enough to work. Sometimes you don't know until you see them in person. I had ordered at least 4-5 different pairs of suede boots (mostly Steve Madden styles), some ended up looking much darker brown in person compared to the internet pix and I had to return everything. I finally found the Steve Madden boots in Taupe which I settled on.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
But hey, if you can have tutorials on how to build and secure stormtrooper armor, we should be able to have the same (and people need to be mature about it). Especially considering if we lose a piece it is much more traumatic than if a trooper loses a calf piece. LOL!
Traumatic for whom? ^^

But that's part of the costume charme. Once I read a book about the development of Star Trek and came to a section about the costumes where it stands written that, effectively, a costume is more sexy when it seems that the wearer cannot "control" it. I can totally agree with this statement.
I'm mature enough to say that I like the Slave Leia costume because it hints much but reveal nothing. And every man who is saying different is a lier. Wink

Quote:
And by the way, I would not have shown the attachment of said inner garments on my body! Shocked I would have laid it out on the ground and shown where things velcro and snap in. But I'm not posting photos of my undergarments on in the internet (it's probably bad enough talking about it all.). And although I like to think of the burgundy bikini bottom as more of a swimwear piece (as I used a swimwear pattern to make it) it could be interpreted as underwear *sigh*.
I suggest a mannequin or puppet where you can take these shots. One of those black puppets where you can attach the costume parts. Since that's would be a serious tutorial it should be handled serious and without any possibility for some ... people ... to comment in an unrespectful way - because respect is, what every Slave Leia costumer earns in my eyes. To wear such a costume you must be a brave and admirable person (or have a tall boyfriend with a cloak as part of his costume ^^).

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When choosing the color to match, you should look at promo pictures or screen captures, not really the actual costume as it is today. The pale tanish bra color as seen in the MOM exhibit is NOT how it appears in the movie. It's more of a darker tanish, almost blue/greenish color, depending on lighting.

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some studio shots have very contrasty color processing, we've seen some costumes like Luke's ROTJ cloak photographed looking nearly black when it was always actually brown. If you look at stills from the movie set itself, the boots and bra top look a bit lighter than the particular studio shot shown above.

I like the sunbathing shot as a reference:

And this one on the barge:

Is there a chance the color faded over time on the boots and bra? Sure there is a chance - I took that into consideration when shopping for my boots for sure. But I tend to doubt that the color we see now in the exhibits is too far off from what we saw in the movie Smile So if anything, I think that the taupe color family is correct and maybe in the movie when the boots & bikini were brand new they were slightly darker. It's really not that big of a difference so whether people lean darker or grayer, or decide to go browner or more taupe it all works.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. A lot of it has to do with lighting. Obviously, it'll look darker inside Jabba's palace or inside the ship whereas when she's on the outside of the sail barge (or sunbathing! I love that pic) it'll look a lot lighter. People can drive themselves crazy trying to find the perfect shade, but you're right, as long as it's in the right color "family" it's good. Smile

neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's definitely a purple, and quite a violet toned purple in the film stock, the flash photos at the exhibit and the behind the scenes pics.

A camera I borrowed over the weekend has four settings for artificial light as they tend toward duller/warmer more yellow/more blue depending on the light source (incandescent vs halogen). Flash tends to drive more too the cooler tones while non flash tends towards the warmer. And daylight too changes on the time of day, the weather and the location!

The next problem is that not only does light alone cause changes in perception but the actual dye and the fibre and the weave of the fabric. I matched my purple as closely as I could to the film and behind the scenes and not the publicity stock but under the different light conditions at the event I was at the purple went more blue than wine.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/aprilstorm101/Armageddon2009#5393525291471739618
This is not at all the colour I created Wink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chansplace/4024483253/sizes/l/
And here it is wine coloured...

This is closer to what I dyed:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/aprilstorm101/Armageddon2009#5393525360545029586

They are not in the same colour family by any stretch of the imagination but they are all from the same day and the same room and of the same fabric. But another fabric wouldn't have that exact same effect, it would appear different but in a different way....

So what was my point again... ? Oh yeah given what I do know of light and the effect on dye in general (let's just say stage experience and last minute costume changes thanks to lighting changes....) I'd definitely say the original was more in the blue toned muted purples. But that it will depend greatly on what your expectations are for when you are most likely to wear your costume and whether you are after the effect of film or publicity shots Smile

Btw, I did sculpt, mold and cast the entire costume and scratch built the Axe Wink
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way to do this costume, I think:

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?topcatID=1300264;product_id=1321546

Wink

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing And the easiest way to get the right "body" for it too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: