About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4d2d14c9e1949f6bfaabf6f1c0129a71Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia hair buns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here suggested these hair pins and I have to say they are really, really good. They keep a very tight grip on the hair. My buns are styled on a wig, but I used a couple of these to secure the twists and they locked the hair down quite securely.
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've heard about those pins, but haven't tried them yet. When I took ballet, my teacher told us about these large sized hair pins that really hold your hair. They kinda look like those, but they are metal (of a sort), thick, and have a nice bend in the middle. They work really nicely for my hair. But I think I'll have to look into those. Because those might be a better deal Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
SpaceBuns (Sonya Hall)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally Beauty's brand of extra-strong bobby pins are really good too. I won't use the regular kind anymore.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/mini-bob-pins/MTAGRP1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's someone to do that has really short hair? My girlfriend has a very short boy cut, so nothing much to work with. She isn't too concerned with adding it to her RL costume list, but doesn't wanna settle for the store bought Leia wig with tiny buns.
Silvara (Anna Malinova)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way would be to buy long brown wig cca 1meter long and make the buns out of it. There are some cheap ones on e-bay, kanekalon is good material which looks natural so search for that.
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hair is only barely down to my neck, so i had to buy bun extensions it only coasted me less then 10$ here's some photo;s. I decided on medium sized hair buns because to me it looks more natural looking.

here's some photos of mine ^^

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2791330/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2432740/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2432739/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvara wrote:
The easiest way would be to buy long brown wig cca 1meter long and make the buns out of it. There are some cheap ones on e-bay, kanekalon is good material which looks natural so search for that.
Yeah, that's the best way in my opinion. I had really short hair at one time, and I bought a wig with really long hair and styled buns on the wig. Another thing that I found that is helpful (and many others have used this method as well), and that's using hairnets to keep your buns in place. You will want to buy hair nets that are brown in color and not black otherwise they'll be more noticeable. The trick is to place the hair net around the bun, and then twist the excess netting around the bun to hide it and pin it so that it stays.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I mentioned it before, but new threads always get started.

I have the best luck with the drawstring ponytail type hair extensions. They have lasted me years, you can brush them out so they don't get tangled, they come in many colors to match your hair. I have friends with very fine short bob length hair we get them to work on - as long as they can pull a tiny pig tail on the side of their head and we can use hair glue to brush up the sides in the back it will work. The rubberband on the pig tail helps provide a bit of an anchor for the ponytail extension (even if it doesn't have a wig comb inside the drawstring ponytail, you can insert a jumbo roller bobby pin into the top through your pig tail to anchor it).

I wrote something up on my web site a few years ago:

http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_anh/index.htm

The problem is, I think some of the brands/styles I was buying were discontinued so you may need to look for new ones. Jaw clip style ponytails can be converted to drawstring style too, so be sure to search jaw clip ponytails too.

I rely heavily on the Jumbo Roller pins you can get at Sally and other beauty supplies. These are the only pins long enough to really anchor the bun in place around the edges and grab enough hair. I supplement with the large and medium U shaped hair pins in the middle of the bun to anchor the middle sections down flat. I finish it off with a very fine brown hair net to match the hair. I don't care for Sally's Chignon/bun net because it is too tight. I usually use the Jaconet Handmade Human Hair net http://www.sallybeauty.com/jac-o-net/JACONT6,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-04 (not the black though)

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having styled a number of complicated anime-style up-do wigs before, I kind of disgree with getting a really long wig and styling it up into buns. Most long wigs, no matter how expensive, tend to be a lot thinner than the short ones, leaving frustrating bald spots when you pull things into pigtails and stuff. When I do updo styles, I usually go for something about shoulder length, pull it up, cut off everything but nubbins and calk/hot glue those pigtail nubbins into place, and then use extensions to fill out buns, ponytails, etc. It seems a lot easier to work with that way. At least, that's been my experience. This way is probably cheaper also.

For Leia if you can find a wig with a skin back, that will make the part work so much more beautifully too. Though, those are really tough to find.

Amphigory is always my go-to shop for wigs. Really good quality and service.

There was mention earlier of having trouble keeping loose extensions together for wrapping buns on your own hair. This is a wefting trick I discovered a while back, and I love it so much. Basically, you use little strips of tulle, a zig-zag stitch on your machine to make the fibers really secure.

I'm working on a senatorial Leia right now, and I'm really looking forward to working on extension-buns. I'm thinking of trying the pre-coiled style. I'd have to temporarily dye my hair darker though.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rc_brooks (RC Brooks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is RCB's wife speaking. I just got my wig in today and I have an event tomorrow that I would like to be able to "troop" in. This is the wig I purchased, http://www.voguewigs.com/sensuous-forever-young-hairpiece.html ...My main trouble, as I have seen with many other ANH Leias, is styling those very famous "cinnamon buns".

I have gone to many reference sites on how to style them and am not sure how to do it as I have a shoulder-length bob with layers. The hairpiece I have is almost like a toupee, except the hair is really long. I'm afraid of pulling my own hair into one ponytail, because the hairpiece will look funny. But the same happens when I part my hair for pigtails and then try to add the hairpiece.

I have bought just about everything I think I will need, based on suggestions from other Leias. I have a little more than 12 hrs to cut the actual dress out, style my hairpiece and still get enough sleep so that I won't look like a sleep deprived Zombie Leia.

If anyone is up at this hour and would like to give me some input, I would "GREATLY" appreciate it.

Leia-in-training
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the wig cover up your own hair? If so, you could try tucking your hair into a scull cap type of thing or braid it in several little braids and lay them across the nape of your neck under the wig cap.

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you got a fall, not a full wig that covers the front of the hairline. Correct? (you reference that this is like a toupee)

I don't think many do the Leia buns this way... the only cheats I can think of to try to make a fall work is to pull the front section of your natural hair back into the fall only after you have made two ponytails with the fall on your head, and use bobbypins to very carefully style the hair from the front your own head into maybe a bit of a swirl around the two wig ponytails. Try to make sure it lays over the wig hair and blends as best as possible, but there may be just no way to make it perfect and seamless.

After pinning the natural hair into place near the ponytails, then swirl the buns from the wig ponytail hair and hopefully that covers up where you pinned the natural hair into place.

That's how I'd attempt it.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be attempting to do this hairstyle for myself pretty soon Amadalia and I will have two different options for hair, as I am investing in getting an actual brown wig for this (i know huh? Laughing ) and i also got some blonde ponytails to attach to my own hair if I want to do the blonde buns as well. I know the blonde will look good because i will be using my own real hair along with the extensions. I am just hoping that the wig doesnt look bad, haha, but, i wanted to at least have the brown hair option for one of my costumes. Razz
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the wig you got, you'll probably want to add some hair to it in the back where you part it for the buns. Most wigs don't have a huge amount of hair in the wefts in the back. If you can get sewn wefts that match, it's fairly easy to add more hair to a wig, but getting a nice looking part can be a bit tricky. The one thing about anime costumers is they often have to deal with crazy wigs, so you can find a lot of good information about wigs from them. Wink
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about the Leia bun hairstyle is that Leia's part isn't really tight in the back, the hair sort of falls down a bit from the part, partially obscuring it...at least in some scenes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: