About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=67437847a70df41d4f6b08281bf05048Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia hair buns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wookiee_cookiee (Erica Facer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Leia hair buns Reply with quote

Are these a no-no for ANH Leia senatorial? I see it says no braided hair pieces. I think these look better than anything I could do with extensions. Razz

http://www.ultimatelooks.com/raquelwelchwigshairpieces/nightoutrw.htm

Thanks!!
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are not acceptable b/c hers were not braided. You could always get a wig, there have been some good ones on ebay. I have this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Princess-Leia-Lea-brown-buns-wig_W0QQitemZ220225373526QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
and it is very accurate. I know most of the Leias who use extensions wrap them around their own hair for the fullness.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I did a wig for my GG Leia, take a look at mt page on how I made it and see if it makes sense. I do have more text than photos so if you need anything clarified please let me know Smile It's possible to sew the buns to a net base so you can pin them in place and never have to worry about styling them event to event Wink

Kay Dee's buns are absolutely lovely, have a look at her site too Smile

If you sew the buns to a net base, do use a polystyrene head form to make it easier Smile
wookiee_cookiee (Erica Facer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gals! I did look at Kay Dee's site the other day and I think that is the best way to go. I have never found a wig that didn't itch my head like crazy and drive me nuts. Razz
Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
Yeah, those are not acceptable b/c hers were not braided. You could always get a wig, there have been some good ones on ebay. I have this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Princess-Leia-Lea-brown-buns-wig_W0QQitemZ220225373526QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
I have this wig, and it's ok. It's actually kind of heavy and sometimes I have trouble keeping it from sliding backwards.
Ren (Renda Carr)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky Buns wrote:
padme911 wrote:
I have this wig, and it's ok. It's actually kind of heavy and sometimes I have trouble keeping it from sliding backwards.

LOL I was just going to ask if that wig was heavy and did the California slide thingie. I suppose you could keep it from sliding by using wig tape either at the base of the head or forehead.

Or use good old hair pins to hold the wig to your real hair.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it too and the wig tape helps. Plus the fact that I stuff a bunch of hair up there.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the wig too, and while yes it does do that slidy thingie, I fix that with a dark colored swim cap under the wig, it helps keep all those pesky fly away hairs up and at the same time keeps the wig firmly in place. You can try to make the buns yourself using the method mentioned but by the time you get it right I"m pretty sure you'll be getting close to the price in materials and time that just splurging on the wig will get you and the wig will probably wear better in the long run, cause if your like me you want your pieces to last.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still I want to warn that I have that wig and it's way too small to look good, and I don't have a particularly big head. The buns only just go halfway down my ears instead of covering them. I'm planning on adding more fake hair to it so that the buns will be bigger but in the original state it doesn't look that good.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I was actually working on this very thing this past weekend, and I would respectfully disagree that making your own buns would be as expensive a getting a wig. After doing lots of research here, on fanforce and other websites, I found that Kay Dee's instructions for using synthetic braiding hair was the most informative and cheapest way to make the buns. I spent all of about $10-15 on the braiding hair, hair nets, bobby pins and hair pins. I did find that it does take a bit of practice to figure out how to get them to turn out like what you see in the movie. So you might want to buy one extra pack of hair to play with, because you can end up with a tangled mess after a few tries Leia Buns
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with making buns to attach to your own hair is that you need to find synthetic hair that matches the color of your own hair. I tried that for a Padme and the [inexpensive] synthetic braiding hair that was available just didn't match my hair color. My hair is dark brown, light brown, and a little blond, which makes it really tough to match. Sad I was contemplating buying a wig like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360136233653&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=110344221932&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D41

and then put it into buns myself.

On a side note, how do you ladies with wigs keep your own hair from making the wig not fit properly? I have pretty thick hair and I can't seem to figure out how to place it on my head so that the wig cap doesn't pop off. The wig I'm struggling with is the Padme Mustafar 'do', with the long braid, so it's pretty "back heavy".

Tia-Linn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 42" hair lengths from Kankelon (?) and wrapped it around a cut-in-half hair shaper round (used by stylists to get large buns or balls -available at Sally's).
All I had to do was separate it into two pieces, wrap them opposite ways of each other, and use matching thread to just sew the hair to the half-round.
I covered each of them with a hairnet, so all I have to do for a troop is pin them in. Easiest thing ever - it only takes me about ten minutes to put them on.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do something similar to Tia-Linn for the Padme Leia Buns Cloak. I made hair buns and my own hair is in the middle. With the right amount of hair, mine never peeks out and it holds it pretty well with minimal pins. As for the wig, Rachel, usually I braid my own hair and then put the cap on. If I need to push the braid back up, it usually is not too difficult. My haircolor is definately Padme so for Leia, I just think it a bit too dark which is why I got a full wig for the ANH Senatorial. When I was younger, my hair was a lighter brown and looked more Leia, now my color is more Padme...interesting the way that works Wink Amadalia
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to get a shower/swim cap, so maybe that will help flatten my own hair down enough.

Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, either a swim cap or a wig cap. Here are my tips for wearing any wig especially if you have long hair, taught to me by a theatre major:

Make two braids in front of your ears, and pin them around and behind your head, looping around the back, making sure that they don't lay on top of each other. Then put on the cap. The Cap is the key for both keeping the hair tamed, and helping to keep the wig in place.

Next, DO NOT put the wig on from the front! Tilt your head back and place in on your head FROM BEHIND, forehead first. (In other words, don't bend forward, then flip your hair/wig up) While it may not seem important for this wig, if you have a different wig with longer hair, it WILL tangle. It's just a good habit to get into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: