About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=035d080151779bb475f6899a283efeefMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Holster sources
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the last to get a belt from him?
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard back from Matt today. He said he is out of town and had quite a bit going on lately. My holster is still a couple weeks out.

Figures, the minute I post something, I get an email back!

Really want to get this Holster so i can get some pics up!

"Never tell me the odds."
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,

Nerf the laws of the universe usually work out that way.

Phoenix 17
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His website seems to be dead. How are you guys getting in contact with him? I'm helping a friend put a costume together.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, PM sent

"Never tell me the odds."
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a new website, the address is somewhere around here:
http://mpfilmcraft.com/

Last edited by Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio) on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found it thanks.

mpfilmcraft.com
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was just about to post the link to the new MP Filmcraft website but it looks like you have that taken care of.

Now on this same subject, I have been working with Matt to produce a new updated version of the metal disk that goes toward the back on the right hand side of the gun belt. From what I understand his newest, high-end belts will have this disk on them in time. I will also offer this disk on my parts website as a upgrade part that can be purchased separately for anyone that wants to upgrade a resin of lower quality disk. It will be a little while before I add them to my site but they are actually done and ready to sell right now. I offer a taller ANH version and the short ESB version, see photo.

EDIT: Removed price info per request, just posting this as an FYI.

Last edited by Obi1kenny (Ken Tarleton) on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats seems to be over the top in price... no way those should be 20$ each IMO. Can you explain why those are costing so much?

Bob
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sale Items please post in the "For sale" Thread.

Phoenix 17
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured I'd throw in my opinion of dealing with Matt, although I just bought buckles from him. I was not impressed with his level of customer service or communication. He messed up my order, said he'd make it right and I gave him time to do so and he still didn't...but I have enough to make the belts...so I'm pretty much done with that. I don't know how his leather work is, as I just bought the hardware but I was unimpressed with the hardware especially at that price. So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're just wanting the finished product and don't mind the wait, go for it. If you're just wanting the hardware to make your own, you may want to keep looking.
Obi1kenny (Ken Tarleton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Thats seems to be over the top in price... no way those should be 20$ each IMO. Can you explain why those are costing so much?

Bob

I take it you are not familiar with the quality of my machining work and the project I have done in the past, so sure I can try and explain this a bit. I have removed the price info from my post due to this not being the sells forum and even though that is just your humble opinion, I would still be happy to explain the time that I put into researching this part and the manufacturing process involved in making these as well. In the end if this price point is too high for you then no worries, you don't have to buy one but I guess you are free to express your opinion any time you like.

I started this project with digging up as much reference photos as I could, the hardest part is very few photos of this belt disk exist and the ones that do are very small with low resolution. Matt also helped me with what he knew on these disk and how he wanted them to look and attach to the belts. I still had very few reference photos from the screen used disk so I called in a favor to an unnamed source and asked him for any help. What he sent me back was an array of different views of this disk that I had not seen before. The biggest thing this new reference showed me was that the ANH disk did in fact have the multiple hole pattern on the face of the disk that I had not sure of it having in the photos I was looking at before. Anyhow, so there there is scaling the photos in photoshop for the correct dimensions and then drawing up a blue print to machine these from. That in total took a few month time to put together as I worked on it off and on.

Next up is the machining process and this is something that I do in real life. I am a machinist, I do layout of manufacturing for new products and CNC programming as my daily job. So the process starts with laying out all the machining step needed in order to get a finish part. This parts start with solid bar stock, the basic shape get's turned down, faced, drilled and parted off on a lathe. There is a little bit of hand chamfering of the holes after this process. Then the second major machining step is drilling out smaller mounting hole and then tapping it through to accept a screw. The basic disk is now finished and ready to get the 18 small holes in the face of each part. And the final process is a good hand polishing to clean all the machining marked up and smooth out an burs that came up from drilling all of those holes. Blow the part off, clean any oil off if necessary, box them up and then they ready to get their photo made.

This is a high end part for those that are anal and want nothing but the best and most accurate reproduction of the screen used part. At times I do offer a lower end and less detailed part on some of the other project I had done. If there is a need for that, then please speak up.

Thank ya very much, Ken

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

Bob

Yikes.

It seems as if you are not familiar with the quality of Ken's work.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Kenny's work. He is an extremely talented machinist. Here at the RL, Kenny has made many pilot accessories such as: arm tools, leg flares and mini flares. Some rivets also to secure the flares. He is also known for his work on the Imperial side, such as imperial disk (for the officer hats) sorry not sure the exact term. His craftmanship is very well known, respected and very much appreciated.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
SoloYT1300 wrote:

Bob

Yikes.

It seems as if you are not familiar with the quality of Ken's work.

I actually have some of Kens work and I am familiar with it. I know alot about machining and I understand charging people for things. My comments to Ken may not sound right to you or towards Ken and I know he does good work. I worry because people in the fringe time and time again have shown little effort into upgrading thier costumes due to lack of funds. 20$ to me considering some of the other metal greblies out there cost alot less seemed a bit high.
It is his right to charge what he wants... it is however the consumers right to voice out an opinion when felt needed. That is all I am doing... No reason for "Yikes" or anything like that... I simply wanted an explanation... we have rules on the RL boards when selling things.... I did nothing wrong by asking why.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: