About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=be066a787f2e7da1b11748d8e673d496Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

standardized RFT vest pocket location?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: standardized RFT vest pocket location? Reply with quote

I have my BDU vest cut and hemmed and the back pocket is applied.
Reading through the forums I see that sunrider (?) base has back lower pockets, and the front pocket arrangment is different than the standard four pocket layout of the BDU garment.

Is the studiocreations layout the one to shoot for? the layout described there looks like the one that I borrowed and took pics of, and I think that is the Costumebase , but I am not sure.

I took pics of the vest with the dimensions on it and I can post it up if needed.

thanks for the input
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard for the RFT outfit doesn't specify the number/placement of pockets.

Quote:
Rebel Trooper Costume Standards
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Required Items:
  1. Accurate Fleet Trooper helmet
  2. Long-sleeve blue workshirt with bib in front
  3. Black, collarless vest with pockets
  4. Light Grey pants with large cargo pockets
  5. Black mid-calf boots (or suitable substitute, shaft should be 11-13 inches tall)
  6. Brown leather/vinyl belt with metal buckle (buckle can be rectangular, oval, or octagon-shaped)
Formal Requirements:
  1. A blaster or pike weapon, unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.

I don't understand how Sunrider is different from the other RFTs. With a couple of exceptions, all the BDU shirts/vests have four front pockets. A couple of people in the base have the pockets on the lower back edge, made using one of the arm pieces from the BDU shirt.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds reasonable and I dont have to modify it further.

I am contemplating making one from scratch as well, it would be a FEW dollars cheaper ....but not that much.

thanks!
Luke Warmwater (Clark Oliver)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made my eyes bleed by looking at the Tantive IV sequence frame-by-frame and it's so hard to see the details of a black vest against the dazzling white hallway of the T4. Anytime the vest is visible its owner is either running or being shot.

I patterned my vest off of the action figure which has pockets that go around the entire bottom of the vest (thermal detonators?). I know that the action figures aren't reall good for accuracy but since nearly all of us are wearing inaccurate grey BDU pants anyway, I figured what the hell.

For the sewing-challenged, there are many commercial tactical vests out there which aren't much more than the cost of a BDU coat.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought the black BDU shirt for as little as $9. Even at $20, that would probably still be less expensive than trying to make it yourself. Fabric costs would be almost all of that amount.

And what color are the pants supposed to be? The SWAT gray BDUs are the closest I've seen.
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Sideshow’s interpretation of the vest?

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty good. There were some screenshots of vests both with and without the lower back row of pockets.

Luke Warmwater (Clark Oliver)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
And what color are the pants supposed to be? The SWAT gray BDUs are the closest I've seen.

It's not the color, it's the construction of the pants. They were not American BDU uniform trousers (which weren't even made in 1976). They may be some European military/cargo pant but they have yet to be identified. I believe they were custom made for the production like the other uniform pieces.

The grey BDUs we wear are fine as far as color goes. I looked far and wide trying to find more accurate pants but even if I did, I'd stick out in a crowd of other RL RFTs who are all wearing grey BDUs.

AMP wrote:
What about Sideshow’s interpretation of the vest?

That's pretty good. If I had to do it over again I'd do that.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the pants are different from the BDU/cargo pant; but it's the best, readily available piece we can find.

The RFT is such a straightforward, easy-to-make costume that looks good when a group of us are together. I hope to see 100 RFTs at CV. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pocket layout of the sideshow figure encompasses what most of the troopers would have had.

I guess for the close up shots, the more detailed vests (& costumes for that matter) would have been used.

Background extras would most likely have been issued with the basics?

As for BDU pants, I found that a more accurate leg pocket can be achieved if:

- you pull unpick the pocket from the leg,
- disassemble the components & iron it flat with 'bellows' on each side
- re-sew it in the flat format.

look at the standard BDU jacket pocket to get what I mean.

If a base/squad were to do a run of vests and decided on standardising things such as helmet colour, vests belts & holster etc = cool! (just remeber to put your name in your kit so things dont get mixed up?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way I made my vest is quite similar to the sideshow vest. The front pockets are kept similar to the BDU pocket style (in terms of how they open to hold things).

The back pockets, on the other hand are interestingly made. The lower pockets are large enough to hold a soda can and have an elastic strapping through them to keep them looking closed when they are not in use.

The upper pocket also has a piece of velcro to keep it closed.

As for CV... you will have this RFT there, Donna... also at DC 09!

Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, depending on the location of Celebration V, we should look into a parade and show that a large group of RFTs can march as well - or better - then a bunch of Stormtroopers (like in the '07 Rose Parade). Very Happy
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly be an awesome sight!
People are really starting to "get into" the RFTs....

Last summer at the opening of "Star Wars-Where Science Meets Imagination" in St. Paul we had only 4 RFT's...
but on Saturday what we staged was a mock re-enactment of the capture scene on the Tantive. We had a bunch of Imperials and they marched us 4 RFTs through the museum as kinda was done in ANH...
hands on our heads routine..

BUT it was also planned to do a return trip with the RFT's having captured the Imperials...

One of our costumers dressed in Han Solo (Bob Kohn) was hiding in the main entrance to "ambush" the Imperials while we RFT's then took the Imperials captive....and marched them back the same way..

What was interesting was the comments by folks in line for the Millenium Falcon...

as we RFT's were captive and marched past the crowd you hear a lot of "awwwwww".....
but..
on the return trip when the RFT's had the Imperials captive...that same crowd cheered and clapped...

It was really a lot of fun....and everyone was a good sport...
I was "busy" doing the re-enactment...so I don't have photos...
but somewhere....I know I saw a few posted of this "epic"....
Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
Maybe, depending on the location of Celebration V, we should look into a parade and show that a large group of RFTs can march as well - or better - then a bunch of Stormtroopers (like in the '07 Rose Parade). Very Happy

Maybe this time we can do it when I'm not doing a shift at Official Pix Razz

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the part about the fabric being as much as the shirt. Thing is, I need another vest immediately and dont have the time to wait for shipping, nor do I want to pay for the overnight, so tonight I will whoop out a vest. I need two RFTs for our upcoming MG parade. I thnk I will go ahead and do the more screen accurate with this one, since I will not have to pull pockets off, just make them from scratch, and I figured out a way to do it AND keep my sanity. The shirts and pants are done already.

thanks for all the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: