About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b1e52096285215235f0134f77709b38Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan ROTS Boots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotorCowboy boots are overpriced and have fit issues besides being not the most accurate.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what she said.

Jedi Pete (Peter stringer)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I here alot of talk about getting the right shade of red/brown but i fear this would be nearly impossible as we are working from pictures, some taken in light some taken in the dark so i would not worrie myself to much over the exact shade, but i did notice that the soles have to be brown and not black and he does offer a varity of sole buti don't know which would be best......

A Jedi whose lightsaber is guided by the Force need not fear the outcome of any battle."
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently there's nothing available that is accurate.

Motorcowboy isn't anywhere near accurate and is vastly overpriced and unwilling to make changes.

Diaz Obi-Wan boots are a joke. He has an old version that aren't correct at all and come in a strange pre-distressed leather. We at Crazy Old Wizards, tried to work with him on getting the boots perfect like he did for the Anakin guys at Sons of the Suns but Diaz seemed to lose interest about 3/4 of the way through and put up a half-assed version of what we asked for in time for Halloween. They looked alright and had about 7/8ths of the details we asked for but when a member bought a pair the color that seemed reddish brown/burgundy in the pictures was like a deep wine red in real life. Not the correct color at all. Currently all Diaz is selling on eBay are the old versions. I gave up on him after a string of quality issues like what Tony went through.

This new seller, Daniel, seems to be the way to go. His boots aren't perfect. Particularly the way too boxy and round toe area. but right off the bat he included several details no one ever gets in the spat area. From what i have heard his communication is great and he is very accommodating and willing to make tweaks and changes. He will make the boots without the top straps for ROTS. His price is very reasonable. eventually I'd like to order from him and work on the toe section when my homemade boots finally die.

You are right about color. It should be a reddish-brown. Not a straight medium brown or a British tan. It's not a burgundy either. It's a tough color to match especially in photos. Flash washes it out and makes it look more brown. Natural light more red. If you are not sure, ask for a swatch of leather and see for yourself.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chris we trust. Very Happy Very Happy He knows his Obiwan stuff.

saberforge ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does daniel sell, does he have a website? Ive heard bad things about both diaz and motercowboys, and I dont want to spend 400 bucks on a shoddy product.

The lightsaber is an elegant weapon, from a more civilized time.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay. Search Obi-Wan boots. He's the one who's not Motorcowboy or Diaz. Razz
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boots are currently being made by Daniel and so far his service has been great and I can't wait to get them.
I'm getting the standard Episode I/II "Model B" style boots but like what has already been mentioned he does do modifications so getting Episode III boots shouldn't be a problem.
He's a lot cheaper than the other Obi Wan boot sellers too which is always a plus Very Happy

He has an Auction up now but I don't think we are allowed to post links to sales here so just follow defyitall's instructions.

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His seller name is jdos_p and the auction is listed as STAR WARS ANAKIN / OBI WAN CUSTOM JEDI LEATHER BOOTS. You can contact him directly though if you do not want to wait for the auction to finish. PM me for the e-mail.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that I went with Daniel from Peru.

My boots came today and they look and fit great! Daniel had great customer service and I would use him again.

Knights of the Jedi Order
The Jedi Assembly
1 Thessalonians 5:14
"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you liked him Very Happy

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to bother anyone or make any polemic at all, but I've just checked out the photos of this guy Daniel on e-bay, and I really see some "inconsistencies" on his Obi-Wan ep 3 boots, and moreover many "details" regarding the quality of materials and finishing. Here the photos:

First of all the leather doesn't seems to be a very "heavy" one, look the wrinkles on it...

Secondly the sewing finish is very poor quality...

I know that the price is catching, but if we're gonna talk about accuracy/quality, I think we have to be very responsible on our comments taking in consideration that many people here doesn't know too much about costuming and therefore this might be their very first buy on many products.

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do want to let you know that due to some persuasion by a certain Senator Wink , Daniel has been an official RL mbr now for 1 month. He has one of the best Tuskans I have ever seen(and I am not the only one who thinks that way) Here is his profile: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6493

It is a true benefit to have someone who is such a craftsman as a part of the RL. Also since he is a true fan, he really tries to get the boots and other props he makes perfect plus now that he is a member, he is even easier to get ahold of. Amadalia
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been having much luck finding boots elsewhere, he may be getting a PM from me regarding his Ep I/II style if I lose out on my current bid.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a case of tough luck if you don't like Daniel's boots. I mean the only other option is Motorcowboy. Which are less accurate, worse fitting, and only benefit from thicker leather. Which in my opinion isn't better. I've worn Motorcowboy boots and they barely flex. Daniel's have a lot of details MC missed and refuses to add and he's more communicative and easy to work with and cheaper. If thinner leather is the way he gets there then so be it. It's not a buyer's market when it comes to these boots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: