About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=569f98a4f6d7981b8e4e80611ea8f0d9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot Belt Rig---Work-in-Progress---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Pilot Belt Rig---Work-in-Progress--- Reply with quote

For Christmas, my friend Zhi-don gave me a metal airsoft Mauser like this one:

I'm waiting for my kit I ordered from Blast Tech so I can mod it into a DL-44.

Once I have my DL-44 done, I can do my holster.

I've finished the rest of the rig besides that.

Here's one of the pouches that's drying during the wet-molding process. I designed a pouch that's made from a single piece of leather, though I do need a large piece for that. I score the fold lines and once I get the leather wet to make it soft, it all folds together like a piece of origami. I add extra for a "seam allowance" so that my spring clamps will have enough leather to hold onto, then I cut off the excess once the seams are glued. I always put scraps of leather under the jaws of my clamps to prevent the jaws from marking my soft leather.

Here are the pouches dry with the seams glued. During the molding process, I periodically run my thumb and finger over the corners to make sure the edges stay creased at 90 degree angles. I had already scored the seams for stitching (this slightly recesses the stitches so the thread is less like to get worn), then I got lazy, since I knew I'd glued the seams really well, and opted to just put small rivets at the top of each seam.

Before I glued the seams, I punched all the holes for the belt loops and the button studs that I decided to use for the closures. You have to really think about in what order you need to do everything. If you miss a step, it's sometimes very difficult to go back do the step you missed.

After the pouches were dyed and finished and the belt loops attached it was time to work in the belt. The first thing to do was determine the length it needed to be, including the 3" of loop to fold over for the buckle and the 2 snaps, and taking into account the length that would be added by the buckle. I cut off the ends and then the corners to make them neat, then beveled all the edges (this keeps square edges from breaking down) and slicked them with a piece of scrap belt.

Then I cut out the strap for my D-ring and also a octagonal piece of leather that could hold a hook for a D-ring or a covertec clip, if I should ever decide I want to carry a saber on my belt. Razz Next I dyed everything including a belt keeper and let the dye soak in and dry for a few hours before putting on several coats of finish and letting it dry overnight.

The next morning I attached the snaps then the D-rings and clip holder with rivets then put on the buckle and keeper and slid on the pouches.

Here's the whole belt:

Detail of the accessories:

Detail of the "equipment attachment points":

Pouches:

You can't really see the weathering I did on the pouches. I had these finished a few days before I did the belt. I sanded off the finish and dye from the edges, corners and high spots. While I was dying my belt, I dry brushed some dye onto the re-exposed leather and left it that way, so now it looks like the finish rubbed off and the dye is dirty. You probably can't see that too well with my crappy camera though. They will get more weathering naturally once I start wearing it.

Here's a few more shots with the end hooked to the buckle:

So, that's what I have so far. Just wanted to show it off.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked

Looks really, really good!
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe. Smile

It's a Luke ESB inspired rig. Hopefully, it'll look something like this when it's finished:

Minus the 2 other pouches on the other side of the holster, and the lightsaber.

I purposely put my buckle on the other end than the way the one above is. I may or may not do the octagonal buckle, I haven't decided yet.

I think that one was made by MPProductions. I've had that pic on my old computer for a long time.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad! Very Happy

I'm slowly working on a belt similar to this. I'm putting the lightsaber clip on it but I'm working on a hydro spanner to take the sabers place.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. But what the heck does a hydrospanner look like, anyway? Are you just making your own interpretation?

Post pics of yours when it's done, ok?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try!

I know Chewie held something similar when he was repairing the radar dish on the Falcon and I've seen a few in comic books.....I'm gonna wing it. Laughing
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Wookiepedia says a hydrospanner looks like: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hydrospanner

Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, it kinda resembles a stripped down air tool of some sort. Or a couple of copper pipe fittings. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: