About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2ed5cb6cc99ff859583a7ccc55e92f15Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Vest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a large roll of paper with a 1" grid printed on it, (it was actually printed on the backside of a roll of christmas paper hehe), and then I traced out the shapes of the costumebase vest onto that paper, and used this drawing to construct my pattern.

I later realised that the cut of the armholes and neckline is almost identical to a penman's sleeveles Tshirt from walmart. when laid on top of each other on a table, the costumebase vest and the sleeveless Tshirt have almost identical dimensions. --> if you take a penman's sleeveless T-shirt, and slice it down the middle in the front (to make a "vest"), you can use this as a rough template for your pattern. (emphasis on the word "rough").

-=========-

I also found a way to add the missing pocket to the costumebase vest after the fact. the result was...ok.

obviously the biggest problem with adding a pocket to an existing vest is matching the fabric; for a "perfect" fabric match, what you do is, harvest some fabric from the inside of the big-arse pocket on the back of the vest. this will render that big back pocket unusable, but chances are, you'd never actually put anything back there anyways.

once you've cut your new pocket in the correct shape and finished the edges.. you can attach your new pocket in the correct spot on the front of the vest with some heat-and-seal hem-sealer-tape from the fabric store.

( something like this http://www.joanns.com/joann/catalog.jsp;jsessionid=22PWXBMI2TBV2P4SY5KVAFR50LD3OUPU?CATID=cat2848&PRODID=prd2983&_requestid=1773932 )

place a double layer under the edges (between the pocket and the vest), to make yourself an "iron-on" pocket. just be sure to leave the top edge open, (ie: no seaming-tape on the top edge), so that way the pocket is functional and you can use it for your phone or whatever hehe.

(( and also, be sure you DO NOT have the iron too hot or you will melt/burn the costumebase polyester and leave scorch marks on your vest.
--> rely on "Steam" to activate the glue-tape;NOT direct heat/pressure;
then apply pressure with your fingers while the glue is still warm))

when it cools, reinforce with a bit of hand-stitching (especially at the corners) so the pocket won't fall off when you use it (hehe).

this was my result when I tried this method: the modified costumebase vest is the one on the far LEFT
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8776/img0215small.jpg
but you can probably tell from the photo that I did a few things wrong.

(a) I didn't match the fabric very well. I made the extra pocket from my docker twill, which didn't perfectly match the fabric of the costumebase vest. you can see the variance in texture/color even from this crappy photo. (which is why I'm now suggesting harvesting fabric from the inside of the big back pocket instead).

and (b) my iron was too hot and it physically melted the costumebase polyester, leaving scorch marks on the vest. (which is why I ended up making my own from scratch. hehe)

I plan to remove my added pocket and re-do this mod using fabric from the inside of the big-back-pocket instead.

((I believe this is what Ky-Wan did, to his own costumebase vest, in order to add the missing pocket on his(?))

-======-

an yeah. my homemade vests are "lined" (with the exact same twill as the front). the body of the vest is basically a double-layer of the same material. it was effectively "reversible" (until I added the pockets).

the only thing missing is the yoke, like Bob said. but I've got plans for that too. heh (I ~WILL~ get this right. eventually! LOL!)

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt, thank you for posting this. Very informative.

Phoenix 17
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot to do to modify the Costume Base vest just to make it correct - demonstrates how off it really is and how poor the quality of the material is (most typical poly fabrics, such as suiting fabrics that Joann's carries, can handle a fair amount of heat from an iron - even on the cotton/linen setting). With all the work involved imho it really pays to do it from scratch, which you ended up doing anyway, Cobalt. But I commend you for giving the alterations to the Costume Base vest a go and providing everyone with a run down of your experiences - what worked and what didn't - should another member wish to alter one of these vests.

Costume Portfolio
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLAJediMaster wrote:
After more research I found these GREAT GREAT pictures done by Cobalt. These pics are great. Good job Cobat. thank you.

I think more clear pictures like this should be either: stickied in the forums or posted with the standards. Pictures clearly show the standards while words can come up short, as evidenced by my MANY confusions.

So again thank you Cobalt.

I love it!!!! This is what we need more of around hear. Very clear photos of costume pieces. I would love to see this done with all of them. The 3 shirts, belts, blasters, pants, Jackets, whatever. All as clear as day like that above. We should try and get shots like that of the most accurate stuff out there that meets all of the requirements. They should also have descriptions and arrows pointing to the important details like SoloYT1300s post. I think my ANH Shirt is very very close if not perfect. I can offer to submit photos of it. Not sure if I can get them as good as the vest photo but I can try. The others parts of my Han need to be worked on. More clear descriptions and photos will help all of us improve our costumes across the board.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, to make an archive of reference photos. but whenever possible it would be better to use screen caps and production photos as reference material.. we don't want to fall into a trap where we are referencing fan-made costumes in order to make fan-made costumes. lest we find ourselves copying each other's mistakes.

(like my mistake, on that vest-pic above. hehe. those ROTJ breast-pockets are supposed to be more horizontally-rectangular. I got a few details wrong when I made my first attempt).

--> this ROTJ vest is MUCH better:

(note - horizontal pockets) Razz

-==============-

I just don't want people to copy my mistakes. LOL! Laughing

but I agree, an archive of photos with arrows pointing out the details would be VERY helpful for someone researching the costume Cool good idea!
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thast a good point. We just have to make sure that the photos are of items that have been found to meet if not exceed costuming standards so that members can see what theirs needs to look like. If something is found to be off then it would not be cleared for using as a reference or what ever, in our " Costume building guide" I guess you could call it. Any common mistakes can be listed as well.

It would be cool to get pics of movie used costume pieces if they have good lighting and show all the details such as the vest photos above. That's not always the case though. Fans can take what ever photos they want of their stuff and show everything that needs to be done, as long as it is found to be correct, then it would be added to the guide. Of course any one can go and post what ever costume pics they want on the forum, but this wold be a seperate part that would be controlled I guess.

I imagine each costume being described using the costume standards that have already been put into place as a base. Then each piece of the costume would then be clearly described along with what ever photos necessary to highlight all the important details. We could use approved member reference pics as well as official pics. All the stuff we have been talking about in all of these multiple threads but put into one nice neat organized location.

It would be a lot of work of course and I am not sure exactly how to do it myself. I think its something that we should try to accomplish eventually.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it! now I need a new vest! again!

Material is confirmed as what?
impearse (Ian Pearse)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some of the reference pictures for the ANH vest/jacket (whichever you call it) there seems to be another seam above the bottom edge - looks about an inch above the bottom - anyone else notice it? Anyone added it?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impearse wrote:
On some of the reference pictures for the ANH vest/jacket (whichever you call it) there seems to be another seam above the bottom edge - looks about an inch above the bottom - anyone else notice it? Anyone added it?

Yes that is the waistband, and yes I have it on mine. one of the advantages of making it from scratch... very hard to add some of these details to a CB after the fact.

FTR on Han vests and jackets:

ANH Jacket has a waistband

ESB jacket has a waistband

ROTJ does NOT have a waistband

Hope that helps

Bob Kohn
Milwookiee
impearse (Ian Pearse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Bob. Very Happy
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are seeing is the top edge of the waistband on the vest. Like the ESB jacket the ANH vest has a defined waistband that is a separate piece that is attached to the main body of the vest with its edges topstitched down. The waistband is also just a hair smaller than the main circumference of the vest and by conforming the two to fit, the waistband draws in the bottom of the vest ever so slightly and gives a bit fullness to the overall silhouette that we see in the ANH vest and ESB jacket. Only the ROTJ vest does not have a waistband.

Costume Portfolio
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaYT1300 wrote:

The best reference pic I've found for the small rectangular pocket on the half-moon pocket can be found on page 197 in the J.W. Rinzler book, The Making of Star Wars that was published last year. It's a b/w photo of the happy cast in the Falcon cockpit and it shows the small pocket very clearly.

It's from the same series of shots as this:

Smile

I have that book...will have to double check that page...
I know that when I made my Han Solo ANH Vest years ago...
it drove me crazy trying to see detail on that vest..

I must have looked at 1000 photos/screen caps of Han and the black color just didn't give up any detail...
well....
that plus my eyesight is really getting very poor as I get older...

After I finished my vest...then ran into "Eric Solo" at a Parade...I almost fell over when his vest had the small pocket on the moon pocket...I never, ever, got even the slightest glimpse of that when I looked at all of those photos...I guess I will have to add that... Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
HanSolo1977 (Vincent Sanchez)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Material Reply with quote

I think we've always used 100% cotton "duck cloth" for the Vest. It's the thickest cotton material I could find at Joann's. I've always been proud of that find, because it looks just like the material used from the original vest I remember seeing in the museums.

I've also got some photos on my website of my ANH vest:

www.cexports.com
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making this vest for my little bro for halloween. I would like it to be kinda accurate, but I'm not wanting to put a bunch of effort into this because I know he's going to grow out of it in the next few months. But I'm working on the vest right now and I'm wondering about how it closes.

On Harrison Ford, the vest almost looks like it doesn't meet all the way up the front. Yet one of the pictures on here makes it look like it DOES meet up the front.

And I'm also wondering how it fastens. Is it a zipper? Or buttons?

Thank you so much for your help Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme9055 wrote:
I'm making this vest for my little bro for halloween. I would like it to be kinda accurate, but I'm not wanting to put a bunch of effort into this because I know he's going to grow out of it in the next few months. But I'm working on the vest right now and I'm wondering about how it closes.

On Harrison Ford, the vest almost looks like it doesn't meet all the way up the front. Yet one of the pictures on here makes it look like it DOES meet up the front.

And I'm also wondering how it fastens. Is it a zipper? Or buttons?

Thank you so much for your help Smile .

Which vest are you speaking of... ANH or ROTJ?

Do not get fooled by the mannequin! Just because it looks more closed, use movie references only would be my suggestion. There are no buttons, zippers or closure on any of his jackets or vests.

Here is another thread I posted a ton of reference pics for the ANH Vest.You may also want to check forum links to the Han Solo Archives for the vests as well. Or go directly to my photocucket for the Photobucket Han Arcive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: