About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=95b120369366b818c4603fc0c8d67b54Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Vest
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Han Solo Vest Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to get some clarification on the vest. More specifically the moon pocket. I cannot seem to find a clear image of it and am having a hard time understanding it. All the photos that I see of approved vests from other members who have Han Solo Costumes it is simply a smaller pocket on the left side than on the right. Then I see one that is a different shape on the right side with a smaller pocket on top.

Appearently, you can just have the regular smaller pockets and get approved. However I really want to do this as canon as possible.

HELP please!

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee

Last edited by Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols) on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"front moon pocket must have smaller pocket as well"

I believe this is what that line is referring to:

(image courtesy of padawansguide.com)

--> I believe the pocket with the scoop-shape would be the "moon pocket";
the smaller rectangular pocket within the moon pocket is the one you need "as well".

(many vests get the moon pocket right, but they are missing the rectangular pocket).

cheers!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that you want to do it right!! I think you have come to the right spot.. Smile

http://kay-dee.net/costumes/han/index.htm Kaydee Has a very nice set of pics which show the moon pocket and the smaller pocket which goes over the moon.

here are some movie shots as well.
http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/han4.php

Hope that helps

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its hard to find a good movie-pic that shows it.

this one shows the pocket pretty clearly..

but it looks like there's no extra rectangular pocket Confused and it looks like the 'moon' is cut straight at a 45 degree angle

http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/han4/screen14.jpg

(still searching for a decent reference pic)

-===========================-

the gentle giant bust shows the pocket pretty clearly -- but again -- there's no rectangular pocket and the 'moon' is cut straight at a 45 degree angle.

http://www.movie-maniacs.co.uk/images/han%20solo%20gg.jpg

(still searching for a decent reference pic)

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Han Solo Vest Reply with quote

photos4life wrote:
All the photos that I see of approved vests from other members who have Han Solo Costumes it is simply a smaller pocket on the left side than on the right. Then I see one that is a different shape on the right side with a smaller pocket on top.

Appearently, you can just have the regular smaller pockets and get approved. However I really want to do this as canon as possible.

HELP please!

it occured to me that part of your confusion might be the Episode#

look here, for pics of the ROTJ vest : its different from the ANH vest.
http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/fidm/originaltrilogy?n=0&z=2&c=5&x=0&m=45&w=0&p=27

the ROTJ vest is the one with just 'a smaller pocket on the left side than the right side', like you describe;
the one with the 'different shape' would be the ANH vest.
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm SoloYT1300's better half (well, maybe just the "other" half Wink ), and thought I'd chime in on this since we did the research together and I made his vest for him.

The best reference pic I've found for the small rectangular pocket on the half-moon pocket can be found on page 197 in the J.W. Rinzler book, The Making of Star Wars that was published last year. It's a b/w photo of the happy cast in the Falcon cockpit and it shows the small pocket very clearly.

It's from the same series of shots as this:

But the book photo is a far clearer shot with wonderful resolution. I'm happy to tote the book to work tomorrow and scan it to post if anyone would like to see it. Smile

Costume Portfolio
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can save you the trouble. you can actually see it in the movie in these two scenes:
(click the image for a larger version)

#1 "Your friend is quite a mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything.."

#2 "Well, take care of yourself. I guess thats what you're best at, isn't it?"

I made the screencaps myself; they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.
-->I suggest pop in the DVD and turn up the brightness/contrast and skip to these scenes.
cheers.

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows the actual rectangle pocket, over the moon... not the moon so well though.

This one shows the moon perfectly...

Enjoy!!!

Bob
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Wow, thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have a bdu shirt jacket that i will be modifying the original pockets and have to add the back pocket and the channel loops.

Conley

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UCLAJediMaster ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few vest questions ANH vs ROTJ:

is the half moon pocket WITHOUT the small pocket (so basically an ANH vest with the small extra pocket) allowed as a ROTJ pocket?

same scenario as above, except this time the vest also has the large back pocket. allowed?

Basically I'm asking if there is a way to make vest that qualifies for both ANH and ROTJ. Have people tried this in the past? I was thinking you could make the small pocket and large back pocket removable (velcro?) and then take toggle them depending on which movie you wanted to dress as.

Also,
are the ROTJ and ANH shirts interchangeable? If you meet the other formal requirements then you wouldn't need the cuffs on the ROTJ shirt.

are the gun belts interchangeable?

I'm trying to see I can swing both costumes with only having:
2 blasters
2 pants
1 vest
"Who's scruffy looking?"
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLAJediMaster wrote:

is the half moon pocket WITHOUT the small pocket (so basically an ANH vest with the small extra pocket) allowed as a ROTJ pocket?

same scenario as above, except this time the vest also has the large back pocket. allowed?

Basically I'm asking if there is a way to make vest that qualifies for both ANH and ROTJ. Have people tried this in the past? I was thinking you could make the small pocket and large back pocket removable (velcro?) and then take toggle them depending on which movie you wanted to dress as.

Also,
are the ROTJ and ANH shirts interchangeable? If you meet the other formal requirements then you wouldn't need the cuffs on the ROTJ shirt.

2 blasters
2 pants
1 vest

The vest are completly 2 differnt vests. There is no way you could pass one off for the other, and vice versa. The pockets are completly differnt style pockets, not to mention size and locations.

The ROTJ shirt is not the same as the ANH shirt either... there is allot of differences. Take some time and start by researching the costume for pictoral evidence. things like fabrics and cuffs... etc... you will find out how different the 2 really are.

The gun belts can used for the three movies if you have the right tools and buckels to swap out. All three movies have differnt buckle arrangements.

There is also a noticable difference between his blasters.... so depending on what you have and which costume you are trying to do.... will determine if it qualifies.

My advice is this: If you want a cheap costume... you will have a cheap costume. Try doing just 1 right...... instead of doing 3 wrong. That may sound harsh, but its the truth, you get what you put into your costume. If you put in little... it will show.

Bob
UCLAJediMaster ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
UCLAJediMaster wrote:

Also,

2 blasters
2 pants
1 vest

The vest are completly 2 differnt vests. There is no way you could pass one off for the other, and vice versa. The pockets are completly differnt style pockets, not to mention size and locations.

The ROTJ shirt is not the same as the ANH shirt either... there is allot of differences. Take some time and start by researching the costume for pictoral evidence. things like fabrics and cuffs... etc... you will find out how different the 2 really are.

The gun belts can used for the three movies if you have the right tools and buckels to swap out. All three movies have differnt buckle arrangements.

There is also a noticable difference between his blasters.... so depending on what you have and which costume you are trying to do.... will determine if it qualifies.

My advice is this: If you want a cheap costume... you will have a cheap costume. Try doing just 1 right...... instead of doing 3 wrong. That may sound harsh, but its the truth, you get what you put into your costume. If you put in little... it will show.

Bob

I never said I was building three costumes. My girlfriend is making an ANH Leia and ROTJ slave girl Leia. She is not going by RL standards; the costumes are meant just for Halloween and conventions. I thought since she was doing both, I would try for a ROTJ Han in addition to an ANH Han. That way, I'd look more accurate standing next to her in both cases. I figured, if I am going to try for two costumes, I may as well try to make them both up to RL standards. All this being said, I am a professional student on a limited budget, so I will look for opportunities to save money.

Rob, I definitely get what you are driving at, however I do feel you there is a proper way to say something. I took a look at more screen shots. I can see that the shirts are obviously different. No question there.

However, I must say something else. I just spend a good hour going through member photos of "canon" ANH and ROTJ costumes. A few ROTJ vests have the large pocket from ANH. A few appear to have the entire ANH pocket scheme. Also, several ANH vests don't even have the small pocket on the half moon pocket. This looks to have also occurred to some extent with gun belts.

So there has been costume overlaps in the past. Whether these were oversights by the judges or changed standards after previous approvals without retroactive enforcement, I cant say. But these are things that can be confusing to a newcomer like myself.

So based on the RL's first costume must be formal rule, many Han's with both formal ANH and ROTJ costumes should have one of them deemed formal and the other informal. OR can something like this not even be allowed as informal because it is so gross an inaccuracy? Would a ROTJ vest with a large pocket even qualify as informal? What is worse, a missing formal requirement or the lack of movie accuracy? Most likely the lack of accuracy is the bigger offense. SO THEN, those members would have 1 formal Han and 1 generic smuggler.

I would never ask that someone's costume be "downgraded," I am just asking some questions. It all comes down to the fact that there are questions and issues for the new costumer. I would think a discussion is healthy and encouraged, that is all I intended.
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Last edited by UCLAJediMaster () on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
UCLAJediMaster ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more research I found these GREAT GREAT pictures done by Cobalt. These pics are great. Good job Cobat. thank you.

I think more clear pictures like this should be either: stickied in the forums or posted with the standards. Pictures clearly show the standards while words can come up short, as evidenced by my MANY confusions.

So again thank you Cobalt.
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Last edited by UCLAJediMaster () on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLA, great find. Very clear. STICKIED per your request. Very Happy Thank you Cobalt.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLAJediMaster wrote:

I never said I was building three costumes. My girlfriend is making an ANH Leia and ROTJ slave girl Leia. She is not going by RL standards; the costumes are meant just for Halloween and conventions. I thought since she was doing both, I would try for a ROTJ Han in addition to an ANH Han. That way, I'd look more accurate standing next to her in both cases. I figured, if I am going to try for two costumes, I may as well try to make them both up to RL standards. All this being said, I am a professional student on a limited budget, so I will look for opportunities to save money. .

Understood…. Yeah I did say three costumes. I said three because it was late when I posted, that and maybe because it is very common for Hans to try and whip out all three at the same time.

UCLAJediMaster wrote:

Rob, I definitely get what you are driving at, however I do feel you there is a proper way to say something. I took a look at more screen shots. I can see that the shirts are obviously different. No question there. .

You are correct and for that I am sorry for coming off like I sounded. Try and understand that the issue is frustration, too many are looking to do Han Solo on the cheap… and not correct, can wear people like me down who spent years tring to get it right.

UCLAJediMaster wrote:

However, I must say something else. I just spend a good hour going through member photos of "canon" ANH and ROTJ costumes. A few ROTJ vests have the large pocket from ANH. A few appear to have the entire ANH pocket scheme. Also, several ANH vests don't even have the small pocket on the half moon pocket. This looks to have also occurred to some extent with gun belts.

So there has been costume overlaps in the past. Whether these were oversights by the judges or changed standards after previous approvals without retroactive enforcement, I cant say. But these are things that can be confusing to a newcomer like myself.

So based on the RL's first costume must be formal rule, many Han's with both formal ANH and ROTJ costumes should have one of them deemed formal and the other informal. OR can something like this not even be allowed as informal because it is so gross an inaccuracy? Would a ROTJ vest with a large pocket even qualify as informal? What is worse, a missing formal requirement or the lack of movie accuracy? Most likely the lack of accuracy is the bigger offense. SO THEN, those members would have 1 formal Han and 1 generic smuggler.

I would never ask that someone's costume be "downgraded," I am just asking some questions. It all comes down to the fact that there are questions and issues for the new costumer. I would think a discussion is healthy and encouraged, that is all I intended.

You have touched a very large issue of what is wrong, and what many have tried to prevent from happening as far as the costume approvals go. If one bad costume gets by, a new person like yourself looks at it and says… hmmm, why did they get away with it. Or worse… I guess that is acceptable or correct… when it clearly is not.

The problem comes down to our LCJ team for the most part… we have had way too many inconsistencies in what gets thru and what doesn’t. This comment may strike a nerve in a few people, but oh well… the truth hurts. The proof is in the membership section of what has been allowed thru over the years and it is a mess!
Unfortunately the only way to correct a membership issue like that would be a re-judging across the board to get it right. Most people in the RL don’t want to have their costumes re-judged…. maybe out of fear they get knocked down to informal. Maybe out of annoyance… either way it will not be received well if/when that happens.

In the meantime, all we can do is apologize for the confusion we have caused for having such inconstancy in our membership database. Its not the members who are at fault either…. It’s the fact that the mistakes where never caught.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: