Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d867462442193d74638de6272f3523ffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Maboot38 X-Wing Pilot costume
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Maboot38 X-Wing Pilot costume Reply with quote

I have a thread going on Alderaan Base for my costume, but it was brought to my attention that only RL members who are Alderaan Base members can read it, so I'm making a similar thread here.

Here is what I have so far for my costume.

First the boots. (EDIT) I originally had a pair of Red Wings Pecos boots like this:
But they posed several problems. The toe was too pointed, the heel was a little too high, and the top of the boot was not even all the way around the thigh. You can see how the look in the complete costume photos below (the photos without the helmet).

I have since purchased these:

Those are the real deal. They even have a metal heel which give a nice military click when walking on pavement.

Next, I have the flightsuit from costume base:

I negotiated the price of the flight suit/vest/chestbox combo down so that basically I got the chestbox and vest for free. When the flightsuit first arrived, it was a bit small. Even though I am a large in the dickies, the costumebase flight suits fit small, so I had to send mine back to exchange it for an extra large.

The vest that came with the costumebase flight suit is acceptable, but needs some work. Here is what it looks like without any alteration:

I went to home depot and picked up some 40 feet of 5/16" clear pvc tubing from the plumbing section, and 8 feet of 14 guage white coated wire from the electrical section. I have inserted these into the vest, and it is amazing what a difference they make. Now it looks like this:

The strap that goes around the bottom appears to be more narrow than the screen version, and is held together on the side with velcro, and also goes INTO the vest instead of around it.

I ordered white web strapping, side clips, and back look from Bojangles so that I can install a correct side strap.

The straps that go over the shoulders appear to be incorrect in that they do not have any sort of ribbing across them like they seem to in the movies.

I'll have to remedy that at some point and I'll update the thread then.

My compad is a modified resin model that has actual variable LEDs that light up and change color. I got this from James Troyer (although it has not yet arrived). This is probably the piece I'm most excited to see.

I bought these gloves for $26.00 including shipping.

My only complaint about them is that they don't flare out enough as compared to the gloves in the flims, but that is hardly noticeable.

The chestbox that comes from costumebase appears to be rather inaccurate. The dimensions of the chestbox as measured by me are:
8 and 11/16 inches tall
5 and 7/8 inches across
18.5 inch hose with 5/8 inch diameter
a couple of 3.25 inch black velcro strips - poorly glued
One metal safety pin attached behind the neck?????

Here are some photos of it:

I've replaced this chestbox with one from Mansugi/Bojangles, At some point I'll also probably correct my costumebase one to sell or make a second pilot.

I also ordered my arm cylinders, leg flares, and belt mini-flares from Kenny, and they are fantastic! Here are the parts I received (except for the leg flares, which came later and I don't have photos of yet). The only other strange thing I noticed was that one of the three cylinders was thicker than the other two. I don't think that will make a difference though. Here are the pics:

Here is the Bojangles leg flare holder that I ordered. I believe those are Kenny's leg flares in the photo.

Here is a photo of the belt and harness that I ordered from Bojangles.

So I think that is it for now. I'm hoping to piece all of this together soon for approval. I'm hoping I can get approval with the chestbox as it is, but have no intent to keep it that way. I'll update when I put everything together.

In the meantime, if anyone had advice on where to get a great helmet, please let me know. I'm nervous because I've heard complaints of Richies Armor lately, but I don't want to wear a Rubies!

Last edited by maboot38 () on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Rebel Legion Webteam

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting this!

I, too, negotiated down the price of a CB. Seeing one modded will help me a lot. I will probably have to troop with the box for now, as I need to get two buckets this year, which will be it for my costuming funds. (I'm working on a Jedi, Rebel fleet trooper, and this pilot!)

Keep us updated!
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the costume....the exchange of the costumebase suit for a larger size went smoothly. The new suit came in and it fits great except for the size of the wrists, where I'll have to add more velcro the keep them snug.

I put my new compad in the pouch. I used heavy duty double sided tape to secure it in so that it would not slide all over the place. Here is a collage I made of the compad in various stages of illumination:

The thing looks really cool. I'm very happy with it.

Here is my belt from Mr. Bojangles with Kenny's mini-flares screwed in (it is NOT easy getting those flat screws through that belt without a punch)!!!

And here is my new Blastech DL-44. This is an amazing piece of work!

I also have some leather trimming coming so that I can complete the vest by putting on the buckles and straps. I hope to have an update for that soon.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yah i had to re-sew the Velcro on my CB chest box straps too. I cant believe they used a hot glue gun for that, .
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I can sew, because I can tell I wouldn't be satisfied with anything CB. Razz

Congrats on being so close to putting everything together. Smile
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually done a pretty good job saving the vest though IMHO. I'll post pics soon. I just learned how to use a sewing machine this weekend, so that came in handy, but all of the leather sewing had to be done by hand because the needle won't make it through the leather on the machine.
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are some pics of the work I have done to improve the costumebase vest.

First, I pulled out the original cloth strap. Then, I sewed white leather tabs on the sides of the front of the vest.

Next I attached the female part of the clasp to the tabs:

Then I attached the male end of the clasp to another piece of white leather and attached that white leather to a white web strap:

Next I cut two holes in the strap housing in the back of the costumebase vest to thread the web strap through, and sewed the edges of the holes to make the holes stable.

Then I threaded the web strap though, cut the strap in half and sewed one half to the buckle in the back, then sewed the other end to the other male part of the clasp, and threaded the other loose end through the other side of the back buckle.

And there you go. 100% improvement over the original costumebase vest. I may add some more white leather to the edges at some point, but I'm in no hurry to thread through DOUBLE leather.
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tapped screw holes in my leg flares, and attached them to the leg flare holder:

maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally.......

Here's the finished product....for now.

I still need a helmet, but I'm going to hold off until I find the right one. I also need to shorten the chestbox straps in the back, and I have to drastically improve the chestbox (or completely replace it), and I need to fix an elbow joint for the hose.

Am I ready to submit for approval?
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no LCJ, but that looks teriffic! I'm missing a helmet too - holding off until someone comes out with something better than RA. Looks like you're ready to report for duty, pilot!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you're ready to submit.

I admire all the work you did on your CB flak vest to make it more accurate.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up looks good to me... Nice work!

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Bojangles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow......great job...Dan.

That is a great improvement on that CB vest.

Welcome aboard.....pilot.

Smile
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Couldn't have done it without you Az!
tiffanybell ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks really cool! That piece that lights up is awesome. I'm impressed you made us a little collage to show how it lights up. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: