Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b2855a03708df19577e23cc61f4bd2dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

THANK YOU from your Fiesta Bowl Parade organizer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara Jen ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU from your Fiesta Bowl Parade organizer. Reply with quote

After a day or so to rest and let everything sink in, I wanted to add my thanks to those already posted.

I could not be more proud or more honored to have been able to organize this event. The ultimate product was just spectacular. By floating around and marching without a helmet, I was able to hear much of what went on in the crowd, and the kids were thrilled, the parents were impressed, and the fans went nuts. When we went past the pockets of parade executives, they were, without exception, smiling broadly, nodding, and clapping.

More important than that, though, when I saw our parade block in motion, I saw members of three different costuming clubs working seamlessly together to create an entire Star Wars presentation that was just beyond compare. It was similar to the Rose Parade experience from a few years back, but people came here and did this totally on their own dime, by making their own arrangements, and went out of their way to work together toward the common purpose without the help of the posh hotel and the luxury buses for transport and all the other lovely accommodations that Lucasfilm so graciously provided. This was just us, doing it on our own, and we succeeded in such a powerful way. Words escape me to describe the feeling in my chest when I think about it.

Many people have been very gracious in thanking me for my efforts on this project, but I am far from being the hero of this piece. The real heroes are the ones who took time out of their schedules and drove or flew hundreds or thousands of miles to come to Phoenix and march with us. These are uncertain economic times at best, and these people came here on their own, and brought enthusiasm and humor and a seemingly endless desire to help out the overall effort in whatever way they could. Whether it was from Tucson, Yuma, San Diego, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Colorado, Utah, Central California, Northern California, Michigan or Illinois, they got themselves here somehow.

I also could not have done what I needed to do without the help of the people around me. I had an endless supply of willing hands for setup and cleanup and anything else I could need. I am deeply grateful for people who saw me struggle a little in a moment and immediately stepped up to offer assistance, or just took the decision out of my hands and said, "I'll cook. You go organize. Shoo." I could not have made it through the weekend without every one of those people, so my gratitude goes out to each of you, for all the things I knew about and all the things I probably never even knew.

Thank you, Granny-Wan and Grampy-Wan for hauling tail down from seeing your kids, and getting here in time to march. That was a lot of travel in a very short period of time, and you did it. Thanks Heidi and Joel for the support in organizing things, and thank you Brenda for that gorgeous Padme gown. Yes, I know, you did it for me, and you're exceptional for doing so.

Most of all I want to thank Joe, my husband, TC-9494. I get these whacked out ideas that will suck up huge time and energy from both of us, and he says, "Okay." When I start running down and getting discouraged, he hugs me and says, "You're doing a good job, sweetheart." He is the best spouse ever, and I am able to be who I am because he frees me to do so. Thank you honey, I love you.

The Rebel Legion did themselves proud, and I can't thank you guys enough for your patience with me and enthusiasm for the event. I'm glad it was an excuse to get to know some of you better, and I look forward to seeing you all more often. Very Happy

We did it, guys. All of us, together. We rock.

Member, Republic Service Organization
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs Jen*

The parade was awesome. Smile Now you get lots of rest before next big crazy event, yes? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: