About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0d26e3878b2f791d18db1b11b562eebcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about costume requirements.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Question about costume requirements. Reply with quote

I have a very simple question about submitting a costume, but I'm confused by the listed standards, according the the standards, the following are required:

Orange flight suit with altered collar
Mid Calf Black boots (or suitable substitute)
Leg flares
Grey ejection harness
Grey web belt
White flak vest with ribbing
Grey chest box with grey hose OR aviation hose and appropriate decoration (buttons, pin stripes etc.)
Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket

I have all of those things. In addition, however, there are these
Formal Requirements:
"You must have at least one of the following items to be accepted:"
X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration.
Mini-Flares on belt and Comm Pad
Black gauntlets
Leg pockets on coveralls

So based on this, I am taking it to mean that I can be accepted even without a helmet as long as I have black gauntlet gloves, leg pockets, or mini-flares. Am I reading this right?
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your first costume submission, you must sumbit it as Formal, so you will need one of those extra items to make your costume Formal.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that was what I was getting at. I just wanted to be clear. So I don't necessarily NEED to have a helmet at the time of submission, as long as I have black gauntlets.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct, if you only need one item.

Though personally, I think they should change that, because what pilot wouldn't have a helmet?

But then some people start arguing that you shouldn't make people have to have a helmet because of cost, or availablity..blah, blah blah......

It's not my call, so I don't have anything to say about it.

I still haven't quite finished my costume, but the helmet was the first thing I aquired.

5 years ago.
Razz
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand what you are saying. Every pilot should have a helmet. However, I think my chances of getting a really great helmet increase as my exposure to other members increases, and I don't want to rush out and get any old helmet, so I am focusing my effort on all my other gear.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you. That's good thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally understand what you are saying. Every pilot should have a helmet. However, I think my chances of getting a really great helmet increase as my exposure to other members increases, and I don't want to rush out and get any old helmet, so I am focusing my effort on all my other gear.

My helmet was the last piece I did. As long as you put together a quality formal costume that includes the other requirements it will get you "in the door". I suggest you get a helmet as soon as you can though. It does complete the look and it's the one piece you can customize, which is different than most other costumes that require more rigid rules for appearance.

Out of curiousity, where are you? You might look into contacting the squadron commander for the local base. I've never found anyone here to hoard costume resources for members only. Most are more than helpful when it comes to assisting with new people joining up. I know I try to point all of my up-and-coming pilots in the right directions to get what they need.
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would fall under the jurisdiction of the Alderaan Base in New England, and I have been in contact with them. They are more than helpful and are not hoarding any resources, but as you know, there are certain resources only available for members (especially on this site, the for sale section for example).

I mean, if perhaps someone was selling a fully made helmet on there, I would never see it.

To me, it seems that the helmet is the most daunting aspect of the uni, and the one I most look forward to. However, I can't vacuform one myself, and I was planning on buying Richie's Armor helmet, but everything I've read about his work quality lately has made me think twice.

I'm waiting for the Alderaan unit to do a group build, but that is at the mercy of the local vaccuform guy. In the meantime, until I hear someone selling a well made fully constructed hemet that just needs detailing, I'm going to hold out for a bit. If anything, I'd rather just get a Rubies type of helmet to hold me over until I can get a great one put together.
Rogan Creel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly...I'd go without before I used a Rubies helmet. Better to get your costume done, submitted and accepted then put the money towards a better helmet down the road. The standards allow for the costume to be accepted formal and the helmet to come later. You'll be in good shape and hopefully the squadron co is keeping his eyes open for his recruits.

Good luck and I'll be watching for you in the air.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad they dont require a helmet and I hope they dont change the rule. It makes the costume more accessable to people. Besides what was the first thing xwing pilots removed when they got outa their ship, and what was the last thing they put on before they boarded their ship. Even in the real worlds USAF you never see pilots walking around in their flight helmet. Sure it looks cool for pictures, but if you are going to be walking around a convention for a few hours, it's going to make more sense if you're not walking with the helmet on. It's different for the TIE pilots however, as they were never seen with their helmet off. I rationalize this by thinking that the Empire wanted their pilots individuality and sense of self to be minimized, so they require the pilots to wear their helmets while in uniform.
Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that the Richies helmets are having difficulties if you're ordering them made from them, but are kits available? I know there are a slew of talented people up there who could help you get a kit together in the matter of a couple days casual work.

Just a thought
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can buy them in kit form also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: