Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=804c3e69bbd88103d69deab8c730f717Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Four Peaks Pickup Saturday February 7th 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Four Peaks Pickup Saturday February 7th 2009 Reply with quote

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RL EVENT!! NO COSTUMES ARE INVOLVED!!!

Ok now that we have that out of the way....

I just got an email from my friend Tim who organized the AMAZING clean-up at Four Peaks last year....well he has decided to do it again!!! For those of you not familiar with this event I will tell you a little about it. Tim is an avid outdoorsy kind of guy: hiking, mountain biking, dirt bikes, and 4wd exploring. Last year he and his girlfriend jumped in their 4runner and headed out to spend the day at Four Peaks driving around and enjoying the day. By the time he left he was so disgusted with the condition of the area he just had to do something about it. So he organized the clean up. Saturday February 7th

From last year:
Over 250 people from all walks of life came together on February 9th 2008 to clean up a high use, off highway area near Phoenix, AZ. More than 7 tons of trash were picked up and 30 clubs represented.
The idea to do something about the mess came to a group of local outdoor enthusiasts recently. The Four Peaks area, north east of Phoenix, is a beautiful natural area that hosts all sorts outdoor lovers. The sight of burnt out cars, water heaters, TV’s and computers in addition to loads of smaller trash prompted them to act.

Groups from all walks of life were contacted and the response was nothing short of amazing! Clubs, companies, online forums and enthusiasts offered their support to make a difference. Included in the volunteers were groups of responsible four wheelers, shooters, hunters, hikers, mountain bikers, dirt bikers, and general outdoor enthusiasts.
The day started out with over 250 volunteers signing in and heading out to one of 10 pre-mapped targeted clean up areas with trash bags in hand and trailers in tow. The support kept pouring in all day! There were even a few Harley’s and Mercedes that made the trek out the dirt road to the clean-up! The dumpsters were filled and a large pile of trash began to form at the clean up headquarters.

After hours of filling bags, loading up trailers, and meeting great people the volunteers headed back to the pickup headquarters for burgers donated by Border Construction Specialties.

Not long after, the give away commenced. An impressive array of prizes from concerned companies were handed out including items from: Racer Offroad, The Good Gun Foundation, SDHQ Offroad, Total Chaos Fabrication, Icon Vehicle Dynamics, Overland Journal, Overland Video, and Sierra Expeditions.

The Forest service was able to donate the use of dumpsters for the event and even provided trash bags! Also, several Maricopa County Sheriff Officers were in attendance to participate as well. The Maricopa Sheriff sponsored rock buggy, built by Hunter Offroad, was a huge hit with the crowds and everyone appreciated them being there to keep it safe and fun!

So...lets do it again this year!! Tim is already working hard to get more donations for the raffle this year and for supplies for the event and hopefully to feed everyone again!! This really is an amazing feat, and anyone who has been out to Four Peaks knows how busy and trashed it can get....not only that but this is the only local event I know of where EVERYONE from the outdoor community gets together to help the environment without pointing fingers.

Times have not been announced yet but expect to be there early! Put it on your calendar now! Lets make a huge effort and showing!!
IF YOU ONLY GO TO ONE CLEAN UP NEXT YEAR IT SHOULD BE THIS ONE!!!
Saturday February 7th

For more details as they become available: Four Peaks Pickup 2009

I'm helping Tim out with a little of the promotion this year so I wanted to post this up in case anyone wants to attend. It's a really fun event that lasts usually from about 8 or 9am-1, we will feed you and you have a chance to win some awesome prizes...along with helping out the environment. If you hike, bike, camp, RV, off road, hunt, fish or whatever outdoors, here is your chance to give a little bit back.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks so cool. Again, I have to check my filming schedule.
StarSkywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless some emergency comes up, count me in.

Cindy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarSkywalker wrote:
Unless some emergency comes up, count me in.

Wow awesome, thank you!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some of you expressed interest in this at the con so here is an update with a map!

We plan on camping out there with a group of people the night before since we live on the other side of the earth and don't like getting up early. We are just planning on camping at the parking area spot so please feel free to join us if you like.

Lunch will also be provided in the form of hotdogs to all participants!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still coming, but I will drive up in the morning since it starts at around 9am. I would camp out, but I don't like the cold weather Surprised.

Cindy
Hammer (Steve)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of helping......will bring the kids.......great way to teach them some community activism , save the earth, all that good stuff. I will cross post on the dsg website.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
I am thinking of helping......will bring the kids.......great way to teach them some community activism , save the earth, all that good stuff. I will cross post on the dsg website.

Thanks Steve! I think the turnout this year is going to be even bigger than the last. I've got this thing posted on every website I know of and our offroad club alone is bringing 30+ people. Should be good times!

Did I mention there was a raffle?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

Is the clean up still on if it rains?

Cindy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarSkywalker wrote:
Heidi,

Is the clean up still on if it rains?

Yep!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

I did show up today for the cleanup, but I had not idea where you were. I tried to call you, but I couldn't get a signal in the area. I stayed and helped for about an hour and a half and went home. I woud have stayed longer, but I have to watch my back.

Cindy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarSkywalker wrote:
Heidi,

I did show up today for the cleanup, but I had not idea where you were. I tried to call you, but I couldn't get a signal in the area. I stayed and helped for about an hour and a half and went home. I woud have stayed longer, but I have to watch my back.

Thats probably because I was in a sea of 500 people! Thanks for coming out every little bit helps and we collected about 20 tons of trash from the area!!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was ther with my kids.......will post pics. felt great to do some good. I t was surprising how much trash there was.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
was ther with my kids.......will post pics. felt great to do some good. I t was surprising how much trash there was.

Thanks for coming out! Unfortunately this is something I see all the time out on the trails. Sad
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some of my pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: