About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=80cbc6393035b33fac28579baefff927Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

PR Officer for Bases - looking for volunteers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: PR Officer for Bases - looking for volunteers Reply with quote

It's been suggested that in order to help increase public awareness of Rebel Legion, that bases have a specific "PR Officer" who works directly with the Legion PR team.

It is not a required position, but if we have someone who meets these qualifications and would like to volunteer that would be fabulous! Please get in touch with me if you would be interested.

Basic Qualifications we are looking at:

1) Some graphics and design capability. In other words, you can create some eye catching promotional items like Base Specific flyers and posters using Photoshop or Illustrator. You would work with the PR team to make sure they meet the requirements of our style guide. And you could also potentially help the PR team with legion wide projects.

2) Help coordinate posting of fliers and what not at local comic-book stores.

3) Keep our Facebook account updated with upcoming events, a selection of event photos, etc. (and if possible, help update our Endor Base web site).

4) Send in stories and photos to Mary Franklin at Bantha Tracks if we have had a base event that could be of interest to them! Be sure to mention the Rebel Legion in whatever you send them.

--------------------------------------

Currently, these are just things that the CO, XO, and Regional Captains are doing to some degree. Though there has been no concentrated PR effort, so sometimes potential Bantha Tracks submissions slip through the cracks, I don't know that we've had any real coordinated effort to get our recuritment flyers posted at comic-book shops, etc.

PR is something all base members can help with though! Jon Paulson, a member of the PR team, wrote up this great article:

Quote:
From Comlink issue 7: http://www.rebellegion.com/comlink/Comlink_Issue7.pdf

A couple things regarding RL PR ...

- There was no such thing prior to CIV. On a uniform, international level I mean. The Bases were out there promoting in their own diverse ways. Looked at globally, or even nationally, we looked pretty rag-tag. I started discussions with Hofmann at CIV to start a cohesive overhaul Legionwide. Now we actually have procedures for Bases to follow when producing their own items to be in compliance with the RL's corporate brand.
- The Legion's PR team has recently grown. We started out with only 3 of us. Now we have a decent handful, the only problem being that for the most part, they're the same people doing everything. (Base positions, Comlink, LCJs, DCO/DXOs, etc.).
- The Legion DOES HAVE PR MATERIALS. Besides the Comlink, there's a Costume Guide, Trading Cards, a FAQs sheet, a Recruitment Flyer, a Press Kit, and as soon as I can finish it, a Legion Style Guide. Oh, and that doesn't include the RL Business Cards (which in my opinion, every RL member [Yes, you too] should be carrying a handful of). It's just a matter of getting the info out into the public's hands. I hope to have an article in the next Comlink about just this subject.
- We're underfunded. More on that later.
- Identity crisis. Lots of our members belong to other groups as well. We need to train ourselves to think (and say) RL first. Doesn't mean that we're not just as loyal to the others, but we're talking about RL PR here.

A couple things regarding 501st PR ...

- They've been around longer. We won't catch up for another 5-10 years, so don't sweat it. Just keep preaching the "good guy" gospel and people will begin picking up on it.

- They have more money. It's true, they wouldn't be buying armor if they didn't. Therefore, occasionally we need to pass the hat (especially so Donna doesn't go bankrupt trying to keep us afloat). Best thing you can do to help is to throw some ducats in when it comes round to you. Doesn't have to be a lot, but $5 here, $10 there goes a long way if everyone ponies up. And really, that's what ... one drink at Comic-Con? Pace yourself and it can help buy a heck of a lot of swag.

- They have Damian. (Okay, officially we do too, but we have to be able to afford him... see previous comments about money.)

- They have the numbers. Yup, they're the BIG, "bad" Empire. Lots of reasons why, time, coolness-factor, etc. But they have lots of people willing to dive in to support something they care about, while the RL as a whole seems lacking in that regard. Esprit' de Corps counts for a lot.

- They don't have an identity crisis. They know who they are and they spread the word. We have some challenges in this quarter. For instance, consider this scenario: You're a dual 501st/RL member and you're wearing a Rebel costume at a 501st event. Someone from the public or media comes up and asks you what is your group called. You answer "501st". Well, you just shot the RL in the foot and wonder why we don't get press? Seems reasonable that if you're wearing rebel gear, the answer should be "RL" and if you're in imperial garb, the answer is "501st". This is part of the public's perception of us. We've got good guys out there saying they're "501st", so thats what the public carries away with them. Oh, and BTW, it is perfectly OK to tell people about both groups and that you're a member of both. In fact, it may be preferable as it shows us as a big happy family working together.

What can YOU do to help?

- Be RL. Be Proud. Most of you have this down. Keep it up. Take the high-road. Play nice. All those things. The more we do them, the more events we'll get to attend, and the whole cycle will begin again, but bigger.

- Pitch In. With time, with money, with events. Everything helps. Print things out, hand them out, drop them at your local hobby/game/comic stores. Tip the kitty when the time comes for nicer PR swag. WORK ANY AND ALL RECRUITMENT TABLES!!!! Come up with ideas for materials, table setups, banners, etc. For example, this year there will be a Hazard Squadron flyer on our SDCC table. I don't know if anyone will pick one up, but I figured, why not try? I was only able to print 100 and trifold them, but I'll be emailing the PDF out to others and hopefully some of them can print some as well. The more people pitch in, the more stock we'll have. And that's a recurring theme in the whole PR game.

- Be Recognizable. That means at events, or while working a table, or while doing costume support - wear RL specific gear. Preferably NOT black as that's the 501st's traditional color. This is especially important at Comic-Con, our #1 recruitment opportunity of the year. There really shouldn't be a 501st, FanForce, Random Star Wars, or Comic shirt behind out table. No offense to any other group, but it's the RL table and only RL apparel and costumes should be behind the table. Ideally, if the person behind the table isn't in costume, there should be someone standing in front who is. After all, we are a COSTUMING group.

- Preach the Rebel Gospel. Sounds grandiose, but it's not. Just tell people about the RL at every opportunity and not just at SW events. Market us everywhere anyone shows interest. The 501st talk themselves up everywhere we go, we should to. The more people hear about about us, the more gets back to LFL, the more requests there will be for us. It's okay to talk about, mention and even recruit for other groups, but hit the RL notes first. Walking around in costume at Comic-Con? Why not have a small sign taped to your back that says "Ask me about the Rebel Legion. You know you want to." Sounds corny, but you know, at CC, it just might work. (And have a RL card on hand, just in case - see a theme here?)

- Be Professional & Helpful. At all times. You never know when someone is a potential event client or recruit. If someone's kind of interested, but wants something more social, point them towards FanForce, but remind them where and what we are. Someone's dying to be a TK? Tell them about the 501st, better yet take them to their table (but along the way, explain who we are and that a lot of people have dual membership and that the groups are non-exclusive). Not only will you build good-will with the other groups, but the person you're helpful will go away from the experience with a good feeling about the RL. And don't forget, when you do send them on their way, make sure they have printed RL information in their hands. Everyone we treat right and leave with a positive experience is libel to tell more people about us.

- Be an Event Coordinator (kinda). Find events and head them up. Be willing to be a POC. Be organized, professional and make sure to invite BOTH sides to play. As we all know, the public wants to see both sides of the coin. If someone comes to you asking for you to round up people, go for it! If you see events on other Boards, inquire about cross-posting. As far as the 501st goes, both Lesley and Scott have said that if it says anywhere in the post that Rebel or RL costumes are invited, that's your permission to post it over here. DON'T ASSUME SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO IT! If you do head up an event, cross-post it as we know its hard to get 501sters over here.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This position is still open Smile A special forum has been created for PR officers to share resources and ideas + discussions.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Commander RK (Rob Keisacker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Base PRO checking in.
Can you help guide me to the PRO thread, as I am having a tough time trying to locate it.
Smile
Thanks!
Very Happy

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm no longer BCO, I'm no longer a Council Member - but I still host and operate the Endor Base web site, designed and helped maintain the standards binder, and designed our business card and base fliers - I'd like to re-volunteer to be the base PR officer since I essentially am already doing that job and it's no problem to continue. (I was filling in as dual PR officer/BCO the first year the position opened).

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I request a copy of the flier so I can make copies and take to a number of comic/collectible stores here in the city that I know of?
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roguehunter wrote:
May I request a copy of the flier so I can make copies and take to a number of comic/collectible stores here in the city that I know of?

I'll have to forward you the PDF files to print.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I have a number of places around the city and Daly city that I believe would be great to post the fliers. Thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: